FNRttC Friday Night Ride to......Brighton on Friday 17th June

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Covered by @redfalo 's suggestion I think.
True but a big responsibility for the LBC to have someone permanently at the back of the ride.

AKA Bob

Riding a folding bike far too much of the time...
I can make subtle enquires with my contacts at LBC to sound out opinion....If we can get new fresh TEC blood with Brompton knowledge it would allow Olaf and I to escape the back on occasions.....

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I have no idea how much more complicated a Brompton rear puncture is to deal with compared to AN Other bike of the non-QR/through axle wheel persuasion, but I've been there done that in terms of getting it wrong with Chutney. When making the return journey after @AKA Bob's Reading-Oxford folder ride I was about four miles from Reading station when the rear went. I didn't have the requisite 15mm spanner (your standard pedal wrench, basically) to undo the rear wheel, apart from not remembering exactly how to get the DualDrive hub's clickbox off and on again, so I had to limp into town even though I had pump and tubes. When I bring it on a ride I now make a point of having the spanner, and a PDF on the phone with hub removal instructions. I'd still want TEC assistance, but I'd not be clueless and neither would they. The Brompton punctures on the Southend ride were, from the point of view of way/hazard marking rather annoying- I spent rather a long time on a hill while a 16" wheeled rescue party made its way back to @Trickedem. The one at London Bridge was handy for me as I caught the tail end up more rapidly than I'd expected, but then I wasn't standing about in the rain…

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
New route successfully recced today.

So as a heads-up, the Brighton ride doesn't go along Lonesome Lane, nor do we go up Portnalls Road, as there's a more picturesque alternative which isn't as steep, and only has 60% of the total climbing. We don't go down Reigate Hill either. There are some lovely fast downhills though. Also, Ditchling Beacon is all smooth tarmac.

Bear in mind, especially due to Ditchling, that the Brighton ride has more overall climbing than the Shoreham ride.
I can just about wheeze my way up Portnalls Road, Turners Hill, and Ditchling on a good night, but surprises always throw me. Can you give a vague indication of how challenging the other new "set-piece" hills are? Eg "70% Portnalls"etc.
Thanks.

Mr Orange

Think that the Brompton numbers have probably peaked as already stated.

Many of us have enjoyed the delights of FNRttC with you good people for 3-4 years now. Us Brompton regulars probably carry 2-3 inner tubes each and everything we need to repair punctures - as well as the knowledge to fix them quite quickly. I have not yet had a puncture on a Friday's ride incidentally. When my derailleur went on the Whitstable ride, I was riding again in less than a minute after a cable tie applied.

I will be buying a big bike next year - all the fault of you fine people turning a chaps head - but would not dream of taking it on a Friday's ride until I was confident in repairing a puncture. (At the moment I could only do this on a Brompton).

Do agree that if you are riding a Brompton et al, you need to be able to carry out a puncture repair yourself and carry enough spare tubes, pump/CO2...Perhaps this needs to part of the condition of signing up?

Last edited:

TimO

Guru

We think in future Brompton riders need to bring at least one inner tube for their bike and to ensure they know how to remove the wheels, inc the rear one obvs, and possess the necessary spanners to get the wheels off. They should not rely on the TEC team knowing the intricacies of Brompton wheels and having the right tools.

The TECs usually don't have a Brompton spanner and have usually never removed a Brompton rear wheel. Riders such as @AKA Bob are experienced but usually not on the TEC team.

I've got a Brompton, I'm just not silly enough to ride one on a FNRttC !

I do carry a spanner which will fit a Brompton (I also carry a small and medium sized adjustable, that would also work in a pinch), and I've changed Brompton tyres many times in the past, albeit slightly fiddlier than a more conventional rear wheel (the front is obviously little different).

I don't carry a Brompton sized inner tube, but I do carry a puncture repair kit, and have repaired inner tubes "on the road", although a spare would be easier, and faster.

:smile:

BromyG

Veteran
Agreeing with my good friend Mr Orange - those of us LBC Brompton riders who regularly join the FNRttC rides have been very happy to be accepted as part of this fantastic group and long may it continue. We would not endeavour to do so without being confident in our own ability to maintain and repair our bikes and collectively there is a huge wealth of experience at our disposal. We support each other, already carrying all necessary tools and spares on every ride and would of course be happy to assist should there be any other Brompton riders present. Granted, changing a rear wheel tyre may seem complicated to the uninitiated, but to those of us who have to do it regularly, it becomes second nature!

hatler

Guru
I was TECing on a Brighton ride when it rained a lot and we had many punctures. I was very grateful indeed that the rider of the Brompton which punctured was uber-capable (and fast) on the whole fettling front. The only service we were able to render was torch holding and moral support. And finding the shiny nut which slipped off into the long grass.

Last edited:

Tim Hall

I was TECing on a Brighton ride when it rained a lot and we had many punctures. I was very grateful indeed that the rider of the Brompton which punctured was uber-capable (and fast) on the whole fettling front. The only service we were able to render was torch holding and moral support. And finding the shiny nut which slipped off into the long grass.
Brompton riders - shiny nuts the lot of 'em.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
This is the answer .... carry a spare ....

bromptontransport.jpg

BromyG

Veteran
Think I may be the guilty party here! :rolleyes:

mmmmartin

Random geezer
We support each other, already carrying all necessary tools and spares on every ride and would of course be happy to assist should there be any other Brompton riders present. Granted, changing a rear wheel tyre may seem complicated to the uninitiated, but to those of us who have to do it regularly, it becomes second nature!
Agreed, and you lot are not the problem: the potential on this specific upcoming Brighton ride is that riders will use their Bromptons because of the ease in getting them on the trains back to London because there may be lots of people taking their bikes up to London for the BHF ride the next day. So this specific ride might have a lot more Bromptons and other folders than usual. And you lot might be up the front three miles away with no method of comms for the TEC team to call for added expertise. But this is for the ride leader to decide and sort out.

*passes buck with consummate ease*

Top Bottom