FNRttC Friday Night Ride to Shoreham - 20th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
Mmmmmmm. Bread pudding.
Food of champions!

jiberjaber

Veteran
I'm playing with a route back to Carshalton (should I feel up to it) - Adam, is it the usual route to Gatwick or other ?

I'm trying to work out a route that gets me reliably from Horley to Woodmensterne via Redhill... there appears to be a cycle track along Gail Lane up to East Surrey Hospital but I can't make out if it is decent path or sustrans mud path from Google... any local knowledge appreciated :smile: Its only 2 miles, but 2 miles without traffic is worth savouring! :smile:

https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13791186

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I'm playing with a route back to Carshalton (should I feel up to it) - Adam, is it the usual route to Gatwick or other ?

I'm trying to work out a route that gets me reliably from Horley to Woodmensterne via Redhill... there appears to be a cycle track along Gail Lane up to East Surrey Hospital but I can't make out if it is decent path or sustrans mud path from Google... any local knowledge appreciated :smile: Its only 2 miles, but 2 miles without traffic is worth savouring! :smile:

The A23 is fine the time of day you will cycling it. It's not a hugely busy road going north.
We will be heading up the A23 all the way to Croydon, you can swing a left at Coulsdon.

OP
OP
Flying Dodo

Flying Dodo

It'll soon be summer

We skirt round Gatwick on some new roads. Well, I say new, although in fact judging by the state of them, they're pretty ancient. Sadly, due to a bridge being out near the village of Leigh from last Monday, we have to endure them as a detour.

Stick with the A23 as the wise blue man says. That path you're looking at is part paved, part concrete, part muddy field.

Tim Hall

Never heard it called Gail Lane before, despite it being on my doorstep. Anyway, the section from Cross Oak Lane up towards Honey Crock Lane has just been resurfaced, but only with type 1, rather than asphalt. The first part from Honey Crock Lane north is a concrete farm track, and then I think it's a bridle way until you get into the White Bushes estate. I'd use Picketts Lane and Mason's Bridge Lane (and do most days on my commute). But as Ian and the Flight Commander say the A23 is OK at that section anyway. FWIW @ianrauk, have you ever considered going East at Crawley town centre then blasting up the B2036 rather than the A23 past the airport, rejoining it at Horley?

rb58

Enigma
FWIW @ianrauk, have you ever considered going East at Crawley town centre then blasting up the B2036 rather than the A23 past the airport, rejoining it at Horley?
That's my preferred route. Right at the
Football stadium, past the Hawth and Three Bridges then left to Horley. Although, to be honest I've never found the A23 around Gatwick to be that bad, other than where the airport traffic joins just before the Horley roundabout.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
My planned route is something like Devils Dyke, wiggly lanes to Handcross, Turners Hill then ... er ... I'll have a think when I get there. Maybe Edenbridge, Ide Hill, Sevenoaks or Godstone, Gangers Hill, Hayes.

Top Bottom