FNRttC Friday Night Ride to Shoreham - 20th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
@Dogtrousers @jiberjaber
Sorry chaps, HERE's the route again

We usually have a pit stop at Handcross.

Now.. hoe to get from Shoreham to Brighton?
@User13710 @User suggestions please? My plan is to scoot along th A259 then do a left at the B2194/A2038 To the Devils Dyke RAB.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
For gnarly geezers, such as yourselves, the straightforward way is back round the airfield and over the footbridge. Take the upper Shoreham road as far as Portslade and turn left.
For anyone who prefers not to go over Devil's Dyke, there is a good road parallel to the Downs on the north side going through Poynings.
TMN can give you more detail on a quieter wiggly route that comes out on Devil's Dyke by the Golf course.

Cheers Ade.
In fact..@rb58 will be leading the SMRbtH this month so am leaving it to him and his route avoids the Dyke.

Anyone know what the A283 is like riding north from Shoreham?

Fast and not very nice. There are quieter options that run sort-of alongside which I would prefer. We might be using some of them on the journey southwards on Friday night.
This^^^.
Also, Adrian's suggestion of taking the Edburton/Fulking/Poynings road running parallel to the Downs on the north side is a lovely road. As usual with all minor roads in west sussex, the surface is extremely poor in places - vigilance required.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I wouldn't use the "upper Shoreham Road", which is the Old Shoreham Road (A270) and horrid. I would use the A259 coast road to Portslade and turn north there on the B2194. Across the traffic lights this becomes the A2038 Hangleton Road. Turn left onto Hangleton Way. Just after a parade of shops, turn left across a small rough car park and from there a tarmac cycle/walking route takes you over the A27 on a bridge and across the golf course to join the Devil's Dyke Road. Stay on that to Saddlescombe, but BEWARE. There is a lovely fast descent that goes round a left bend to a sudden hazardous junction. A left there takes you to Poynings and loads of route options.
Thanks!
I think it's this: https://ridewithgps.com/routes/13806344

That golf course road/track looks like an adventure.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
That's the one. It is tarmac, and it is shared, but the surface isn't bad apart from the very last bit (which you can avoid by going straight on after little rise up to the club house, which heads up to the road rather than turning off left and cutting the corner off).
Something about the topology tells me that I won't be going fast along that shared path.

rb58

Enigma
This^^^.
Also, Adrian's suggestion of taking the Edburton/Fulking/Poynings road running parallel to the Downs on the north side is a lovely road. As usual with all minor roads in west sussex, the surface is extremely poor in places - vigilance required.
I was thinking more A283 for just over two miles then Small Dole, Oreham Common, Woodmancote and Blackstone. That joins up with our normal route north via Wineham.

Most of you who've signed up should have received an email late Monday night and can expect a final update due to go out shortly.
Three of you, however, may have made mistakes in entering your email addresses on the sign-up form as we've had... gulp... BOUNCE BACKS! (The Shock! The Horror!)

@RoubaixCube @CharlieB If you've wondering why you haven't had any emails about the ride... please contact @Flying Dodo aka Shoreham Flight Leader via the Fridays email address (as on website) asap so he can update your details.
If Greg T is on CC and watching this thread, his is the 3rd bounce-back so could he get in touch as well?

Thanks!

~ signed ~
Mailing List Manager

Top Bottom