FNRttC Friday Night Ride to Shoreham - 20th May

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
And now for something (almost) completely different – the Friday Night Ride to Shoreham. That’s the one by the sea, on the south coast, rather than by the M25. The ride is about 60 miles long, although there are a number of short, slightly steep hills, but nothing too extreme.

Old timers amongst you may recall the FNRttC visiting Shoreham-on-Sea in 2008. In fact there may possibly still be one or two still waiting to get served breakfast in the pub, which is why we haven’t returned until now. However, we now have a lovely route, setting out from Hyde Park Corner and heading south through the delightful suburbs of Balham and Tooting where we can enjoy the varied nightlife before skirting Mitcham and then through Coulsdon and then finally emerging into the darkness of Portnalls Road before experiencing the woosh downhill to Reigate where we then veer off on quaint backroads to our halfway stop. Once again, magnificent Mark at The Cabin in Faygate will be opening up for us with sandwiches, hot drinks and hopefully bread pudding.

Suitably refreshed, we’ll emerge blinking with surprise at the brightening sky before climbing (sorry) Tower Road. If it’s a warm night, we may stop awhile by a lake to admire swooping bats catching their prey before continuing our journey south through sleeping hamlets and long stretches of open roads where, as we approach the end of our journey you may spot Lancing College. Some may think this is a castle, whilst others may not see it at all. Our voyage of discovery will end after carefully crossing the A27 and then following the perimeter of Shoreham Airport (also known as Brighton Airport!), to arrive at the stunning art deco terminal where we’ll go round to the front overlooking the aircraft apron to then have breakfast.

The ride will start at midnight, from the traditional starting point of Hyde Park Corner, but please aim to arrive by 11.40pm so you can be checked in and listen to, and even participate in, the safety briefing.

In order to sign up, please click here to complete an entry form.

It's only about a mile to the train station, where there are loads of trains heading to Brighton, or veering off through Hove to London Victoria, and westwards to Southampton & Portsmouth.

Last edited:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Count me in

Tim Hall

However, we now have a lovely route, setting out from Hyde Park Corner and heading south through the delightful suburbs of Balham and Tooting where we can enjoy the varied nightlife.

Hmm...
From Quill's Folly, Balham's famous beauty spot, which stands nearly ten feet above sea level, the town is spread below us in a fairyland of glittering lights, changing all the time: green... amber... red... red and amber... and back to green. The night life is awakening!

SteveF

This would be my 3rd FNRttC and I'm sorely tempted as the first two were great (especially as I will have a new bike!), however "a number of short, slightly steep hills" would that be similar to the Southend and Whitstable profile or an order of magnitude harder?..(being old and fat, hills are my nemesis)

In Like Flynn

Form Done.

This would be my 3rd FNRttC and I'm sorely tempted as the first two were great (especially as I will have a new bike!), however "a number of short, slightly steep hills" would that be similar to the Southend and Whitstable profile or an order of magnitude harder?..(being old and fat, hills are my nemesis)
I've helped reccie this and you will be FINE. Literally 2 or 3 steep but short hills, the rest "feels" like it is all downhill - miles and miles of swoopy. It's fab! (And I'm fat, weak, arthritic, a total wimp and ::cough:: getting old.)

RoubaixCube

~Tribanese~
I have been waiting for this day.... my holidays have been booked so im literally on paid leave when im out on this ride :tongue:

::EDIT::

I have put 'British Cycling' in the place of CTC number as im not registered with CTC (or is that still a problem????:secret::secret:)

Last edited:

lazybloke

Considering a new username
Have been waiting for this... It'll be my first fnrttc - go easy on me.

I'd better look at that form then.
edit: Form completed. Looking forward to bats and bread puddings.

Last edited:
Top Bottom