FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 18th March to Southend-on-Sea 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
That was a great ride...a bit of a challenge for me , but fun. Many thanks to Simon for the impressive organisation and contingency route planning. Thanks too to all the selfless crew of way-markers and TECs.

The random encounters with The Youth in the early hours were a bit of a laugh. After about two and a half hours I was starting to fade on the gentle hills but Frank came alongside and gave me some kind words of encouragement, staying with me for quite a while. Chapeau to that man. The people at Stock did a grand job and it was fun to natter away to complete strangers in the warmth of their impressive village hall. It was a bit of wrench to leave, but what a wonderful few miles they were as we started off again. Dawn breaking, a low mist on the fields, and a glimpse of an old-style scarecrow though a gap in the hedge on the right, somewhere after the windmill. Great stuff.

As usual, I faded on the hills but was enormously grateful to all the other riders who urged me on. The Rose was a very welcome destination. Oh yes, sunshine too! Claudine unwrapping Katie's masterpiece was a Priceless (:wacko: ) sight. I caught the train back to London , cycled home and drank a couple of beers as I ran a very hot bath. In I hopped, and promptly fell asleep. Ninety minutes later, I awoke wishing I had got in wearing some merino base layers.

Thank-you all you wonderful people.

Thanks Simon for another brilliantly organised night. Thanks also to our refreshment providers both at Tesco's, Stock and Southend. Despite suffering from jetlag, having returned from the US on Wednesday night and also overdoing an impromtu Guiness party on Thursday I managed to stay awake for the whole ride. I suspect it was the extreme cold that did it! It was great to be in the TEC party for the final leg and play a part in keeping the Claud behind the crowd. After breakfast, I wasn't feeling too well so decided to set off home on my own, although I did meet up briefly with rb58 and Martin235 at the Dartford Crossing. Got home for 1pm with 101 miles on theclock. Managed to get a few nice pictures. click here

Even the photos make me shiver Tim...
... it
was
cold.
IMG_0171.JPG

Overindulgence during the week meant that you said a polite 'non merci' to cognac and rum during the last-leg pitstops? (where the Tecs were 'tec-ing themselves with stiffeners every 10 mins or so :rolleyes:)
Huh - that will not do - work on it Tim! :smile:
Nice portrait of User10571 in your set also... :ph34r: - I think, only outdone by Thom, who had something else under his helmet and looked like one of those extra large seaside ice-creams. He was the peloton's 'Mr Whippy' racing up and down waymarking quite a lot. :thumbsup:

Actually, having seen all the photos, it does seem as though around Stock it was very chilly. The route Jan & I took heading south of Hanningfield Reservoir didn't seem to have anything like as much frost on the fields, and the puddles at the side of the road were only just frozen. Although I did comment about ice dropping off my helmet, it just didn't feel particularly cold.

Actually, having seen all the photos, it does seem as though around Stock it was very chilly. The route Jan & I took heading south of Hanningfield Reservoir didn't seem to have anything like as much frost on the fields, and the puddles at the side of the road were only just frozen. Although I did comment about ice dropping off my helmet, it just didn't feel particularly cold.

That's because you were 'flying', Dodo. :smile:
(and spending too much time in tescos!)

thom

____
Nice portrait of User10571 in your set also... :ph34r: - I think, only outdone by Thom, who had something else under his helmet and looked like one of those extra large seaside ice-creams. He was the peloton's 'Mr Whippy' racing up and down waymarking quite a lot. :thumbsup:

Ah I think can place you now - Aperitif, perchance were you once a character actor in a scouse 80's TV program :

View: http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=e6I8-0eDxaY

my hand is just about recovered... :wacko:

Tim Hall

Els, fantastic pictures. I think the witch is my favourite.

Ah I think can place you now - Aperitif, perchance were you once a character actor in a scouse 80's TV program :
http://www.youtube.c...h?v=e6I8-0eDxaY
my hand is just about recovered... :wacko:

Ha ha - thank you. That was a fantastic series. Back in the days 'ere tinternet it were what we folk did... watch telly, drink, rugby, cricket and bike. Bernard Hill and Co were a revelation. Then it was Auf Weidersehen Pet - the Geordies. Ah. memories!

You did a good thing there Thom, ta. :smile:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
And as for the blog....:blush:

Well, it looks like I've rescued Southend! I've known that this is there on sufferance for some time (you lot aren't going to believe this, but I really. genuinely like the bit through Dagenham East and the views of the bridge- sorry) but it got kept because it's shorter and flatter, and therefore within reach of a some riders who might not make Brighton. So - job done!

Top Bottom