FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 18th March to Southend-on-Sea 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
It really was a beautiful view. I thought so at the time as I stared out across the misty waters, and you have captured it. It was particularly pleasant for me as I spent a large part of my childhood in the area of the photograph, which included cycling round the quiet country lanes of a backwater of Kent.

For captioning purposes, Sheerness is probably in the far background but I'm pretty certain the power station is the Isle of Grain, which is at the end of the Hoo Peninsula. My dad worked on the construction of it in the 70's, which was why I was there!

U

User10571

Ummmm.........

What you're looking at is not Sheerness.
It's Grain power station on the Hoo peninsula.
At 244m it has the second tallest chimney in this country, surpassed only by Drax at 259m.
The three chimneys to the right of it are the natural gas-fired plant.

Sheerness is further east.

Still an excellent shot, though.

Oops... x-post with Frank.

Jormes

Regular
Hi all,

I'm posting a bit late on to this (and I'm not even sure I'm using this right so maybe I'm not posting at all!). I was directed to the forum and have been having a nose. Just wanted to say that I had a brilliant time on my first ever night ride. And that's saying something considering that I've never been so cold in my life and I hadn't been on a bike in about 3 years! Say's something for how friendly and welcoming everyone was that the experience was still so good. Been kicking myself for bailing at the stopping point so my next attempt will be in warmer weather to give me a half decent chance of actually finishing :biggrin: Thank you to everyone who kept me going through the coldest bits, gave me some good advice on bike management (I know what way to point it and that's as far as my knowledge goes) found me at the train station (Teef) and made it so much fun.

I'll be making to to the party afterwards next time...............

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Hi all,

I'm posting a bit late on to this (and I'm not even sure I'm using this right so maybe I'm not posting at all!). I was directed to the forum and have been having a nose. Just wanted to say that I had a brilliant time on my first ever night ride. And that's saying something considering that I've never been so cold in my life and I hadn't been on a bike in about 3 years! Say's something for how friendly and welcoming everyone was that the experience was still so good. Been kicking myself for bailing at the stopping point so my next attempt will be in warmer weather to give me a half decent chance of actually finishing :biggrin: Thank you to everyone who kept me going through the coldest bits, gave me some good advice on bike management (I know what way to point it and that's as far as my knowledge goes) found me at the train station (Teef) and made it so much fun.

I'll be making to to the party afterwards next time...............

Hello! :hello:

Glad the freeziness has not quashed your enthusiasm! Ignore all the talk of skinny-dipping on the other thread, too...

Hello! :hello:

Glad the freeziness has not quashed your enthusiasm! Ignore all the talk of skinny-dipping on the other thread, too...

plusoné (plooz - own - ay) :biggrin: Sounds so much more continental thataway... (yes, it's a s-l-o-w day today)

It can be done in the buff. Skinny enough. Frank will add a disclaimer that he was nowhere near at the time and will not be skinny 'dipping', buff dipping or any other dipping that he hasn't been accused of - yet.

I'll be making to to the party afterwards next time...

:headshake: What party? Ohhh that one - where the red star jersey was was debated, the sun shone, beer abounded, Frank issued a pre-drink contract waiver, and that cute girl from the Mumbles had a Birthday - that one you mean?
Oh.

:smile:

TimO

Guru
:headshake: What party? Ohhh that one - where the red star jersey was was debated, the sun shone, beer abounded, Frank issued a pre-drink contract waiver, and that cute girl from the Mumbles had a Birthday - that one you mean?
Oh.

It's all lies, we never do that. OK, occasionally, but only to compare notes on prayers and things like that. Alcohol is never involved, oh nonono.

frank9755

Cyclist
Cool!

We were discussing ordering new club kit last night and somebody suggested that we should get club buffs. It felt a bit odd to talk about them without people casting accusing glances...

Top Bottom