FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 21st March - Burnham-on-Crouch via Junction 31

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wanda2010

Guru
Driving through that tunnel used to scare me loads back in the late 80s. I can't believe I'm voluntarily signing up to cycle through it. Yay!! Possibly.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I've gone through the Rotherhithe Tunnel dozens of times. It's not nice when the traffic is thick, but I reckon that, along with the Bow Flyover, it's one of those bits of tarmac that you don't fancy in the day but it's ok after midnight. I will check it out, though.

I think that we'll form up on Jamaica Road, capture the roundabout, move through en bloc with three toughies at the back.

Now the Blackwall Tunnel.......that is a collector's item. And, yes, I have.

subaqua

What’s the point
I've gone through the Rotherhithe Tunnel dozens of times. It's not nice when the traffic is thick, but I reckon that, along with the Bow Flyover, it's one of those bits of tarmac that you don't fancy in the day but it's ok after midnight. I will check it out, though.

I think that we'll form up on Jamaica Road, capture the roundabout, move through en bloc with three toughies at the back.

Now the Blackwall Tunnel.......that is a collector's item. And, yes, I have.
I won't say I am a toughie ( far from it) but i do look scary ( so i have been told) so I don't mind TECing this bit.

anothersam

SMIDSMe
Some people will train it back to London from Burnham, some will take the ferry across to Wallasea and train it back from Rochford, and some will ride back.

…and some will stay and start a new life, having grown weary of the old. I plan to take up yachting, if the Royal Burnham Yacht Club will have me despite my chequered past (literally; I spent my formative years in a Skinner box playing chess against a pigeon who always opened with the Queen's Gambit then spent the rest of the game preening and strutting about as if he owned the place).

skinnerbox.jpg

I will support Burnham Ramblers F.C. and volunteer as waterboy for the lawn bowls club. I will chat about the weather inside with Helen Watson and make sure to compliment Neil Faith on his spinning tombstone piledriver. I will review books, restaurants and laundrettes for the Burnham & Dengie Hundred Review, taking care to always be respectful of local sensibilities. When at last I am accepted as part of the community I will take my place in the annual Grand Illuminated Procession with my Lezyne Macro Drive and sing those sacred verses,

"The Rotherhithe Tunnel is far from first base,"
She said as she settled her saddle in place.
Let's tickle the outskirts of Basildon, hey -
though she don't hold no candle to Billericay.
Oh golly oh gosh come and lie on the couch
with a nice bit of posh from Burnham-on-Crouch

Eventually, with the FNRttC comes through again, I may reassess my life and be carried back to the Smoke, perhaps not wiser, but definitely older.

How do I like?

You love, but take it down a notch.

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
CarterGangster1.jpeg
2940261 said:
All applicants to post a photo looking tough. Anyone who poses with a sawn-off wins.
Something like this?

subaqua

What’s the point
not got a sawn off , but on my way home from college many years ago with 2 300mm pieces of 20mm Black enamel conduit scrap to use in a little project, in a bag under slung from my right arm I was stopped by an armed response unit.

I was always taught that when a policeman with a gun points it at you and tells you to lie down, you do just that. He saw the funny side when he realised what it was and advised a better way of carrying the tube.

Is this scary/tough enough :smile:
IMAG0340.jpg

Top Bottom