FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast 22nd October to Whitstable 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eurygnomes

Hey everyone,

Sorry to interrupt the flow of ride reports, its been great reading them all. I'd purposefully forgotten this was the fnrttc Whitstable ride weekend and feel guilty that my best wishes were not helping hold back the "heavy mist" y'all had to contend with. Glad the offs were not too damaging (to humans).

Quick question, what are the fairies to which some refer?

And, now that my insurance company have finally agreed to pay out, what bike should I get to replace Red?!

Hopefully see you soon! because my excuses for drinking in the morning aren't as good as the, 'but I've been up for hours and cycled all this way' one, and I'm still jealous!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Quick question, what are the fairies to which some refer?

And, now that my insurance company have finally agreed to pay out, what bike should I get to replace Red?!

Hopefully see you soon! because my excuses for drinking in the morning aren't as good as the, 'but I've been up for hours and cycled all this way' one, and I'm still jealous!

We do not speak of those fairies. But they leave nails etc on the road. Hope that's enough of a clue
whistling.gif

How much money have you got to spend?

Origamist

Legendary Member
A decidely autumnal ride, but the rain was never a deluge (no lakes of deep standing water), the wind was v rarely against us and the temperature whilst cool was never uncomfortably chilly. I'm not sure of the numbers but I'd hazard around 70-80, which is impressive given the conditions.

I can confirm that a bacon baguette in foil tastes better than a freshly prepared one and a sugary mug of tea gives you a boost at 4am even if you forget to remove the submerged tea bag...

There were a few mechanicals that kept us waiting from time to time, but never did it feel that we were waiting for Godot. That said, I can see where the TECs frustration comes from when people suddenly start faffing after 10 mins of doing diddly squat when it's time to roll. A couple of corners were missed by waymarkers, and one of them was my fault for passing a right turn when I had no idea where I was going (another route via Sittingbourne, I believe) - I compouned the cock-up by shouting "left" at a couple of people as they approached the turn - thankfully, they could tell the difference between left and right. Note to self - just point in future.

I'd decided to eschew the race to the Waterfront (didn't fancy touching wheels in the wet) and worked my way though the peleton at a reasonable speed. This approach is actually harder work as there is always someone in the distance to chase down...

The facilities at Tesco's, Surrey Quays are better than the toilets at Tooley St, and the pit-stop has the added advantage of an opporunity to snaffle up some yellow stickered discount items at 1am.

A few random recollections: we picked up a couple of hoodie wearing BMXers just after Rochetster, a suicidal cat wanted to feel what Michelin Krylions feel like at 20mph, and the smell of sodden socks in the Waterfront..

I had a "couple" of drinks in the bar afterwards to help me warn up, after I had warmed up I had a "couple" more to cool me down. The train back was direct and I had the pleasure of Mistral and CofG's company - snoring excepted.

It was good see CofG on his first FNRttC and catch up with Sitting Duck and Ben who I had not seen for over a year. It was also pleasure to meet User482, Charlie and Telesonic and catch up with the usual crowd for the protracted Waterfront debrief (I believe Naomi even got a mention!). Towards the end of the pub revelry, I was starting to feel melancholic at the prospect of the FNRttC winter hiatus...

If the weather is OK, I'll see a few hardy souls on the Nov ride.

Howard

That was an epic ride - thanks to everyone who helped organise and keep us going in the right direction :smile:

rich p

ridiculous old lush
Thanks to all those super domestiques who fix everything and everyone and also to the GC contender in blue rather than yellow!
Spirits were admirably high, I thought, in the clearing shower. I was right eventually!

The evils of drink were clearly in evidence On The Waterfront - I tried warning you lot but Marlon Brandy, Rod Jaegersteiger wouldn't listen and ended up talking Lee J Cobblers as usual. Next time, I hope to be back on the cast list though :tongue:

I'm no Robert Capa but these photos may provoke some fond memories.

http://picasaweb.google.co.uk/richardpount/FnrttcWhitstable2310?authkey=Gv1sRgCKHX1Pbhh8StxQE#

redjedi

Über Member
Another enjoyable FNR even though the weather forecasts were spot on with their warning of rain from 4 to 7am almost to the minute. At least it wasn't as cold as was feared earlier on the week.

Good to see the regulars, irregulars and quite a few new faces. Don't be put off by the conditions of this ride, it's nearly always a lot more pleasant.

The Whitstable breakfast is still my favourite one, made even better when washed down by a pint or two (or 6 or 7 :tongue:).

Got back to London still feeling the effects and managed to ride with Davy as far as Hammermith, where he disappeared. I decided that from there, even in his state, he cold make it home so I pushed on home.
Arrived at about 7pm and was welcomed by drunken flatmates, food, and more beer, wine, champagne and some homemade hungarian moonshine which would have been ideal at 4am last night
wacko.gif

Finally went to bed at 2am and slept until 1pm this afternoon. Woke up hungover but with a smile on my face.

Thanks to all the TECS, waymarkers, cafe owners and servers, Simon and all the riders.

I'm already looking forward to next month's ride.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
when you write, 'where he (Davy) disappeared' I think of the Cheshire Cat fading away, bit by bit, until all that the human eye can see is a pair of thighs...

I had a good time, as did almost everybody else, but I know full well that this was down to the efforts of the TECs who did a fabulous job on punctures. And, 'Teef, Matt and Ian...steps will be taken to prevent a repetition of some of the twattery at large on Friday night. It's one thing to be unfortunate, but it's another to be inconsiderate of 88 fellow cyclists. And Thom, I'm still pondering our chat.

As for the rest - the weather wasn't so very bad, and it was unseasonably warm for late October. The views from the road to lower Higham were as lovely as ever, and the skyline east of Higham, the horizon backlit by the glow of the Medway towns was just fabulous. Those of you who were at the back would have seen the trail of lights winding up the hill. And just before Faversham the moon came out briefly to illuminate the leaves just blown on the the road. A chap could get lyrical if a chap was that way inclined.

Kieran and his three helpers did a splendid job at Andy's cafe, and, likewise, Faye and the team at the Waterfront looked after us. I think I saw a pint of Guiness being pulled at just before nine o'clock, but that might have been some kind of mirage.

On a less happy note - Martin Badham was down for his first FNRttC on a tricycle, but called me from his hospital bed in Norwich - he thinks he was hit by a car and woke up on the deck. I'm sure we all wish him well.

StuAff

And just before Faversham the moon came out briefly to illuminate the leaves just blown on the the road. A chap could get lyrical if a chap was that way inclined.

On a less happy note - Martin Badham was down for his first FNRttC on a tricycle, but called me from his hospital bed in Norwich - he thinks he was hit by a car and woke up on the deck. I'm sure we all wish him well.

You? Lyrical? Surely some mistake....
GWS indeed, Martin B!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I forgot. Damian B asked me to pass on his thanks to those who helped him. His taxi did take him all the way to Whitstable.

StuAff

And, 'Teef, Matt and Ian...steps will be taken to prevent a repetition of some of the twattery at large on Friday night. It's one thing to be unfortunate, but it's another to be inconsiderate of 88 fellow cyclists.

Yup, as I know from my stint on the last Whitstable run, there's a balance to be struck between TECs and back-markers getting a breather and opportunity to grab a snack, and hanging about because of others' faffing (guilty as charged myself on occasion, including last night). Balance was somewhat awry last night.

StuAff

I forgot. Damian B asked me to pass on his thanks to those who helped him. His taxi did take him all the way to Whitstable.

Saw him at the start, said hello (knew he was coming from posts on BR), didn't see him much after that...that explains it!

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Cool, Not sure whether the cabbie thought his luck was in or that he had run into a bunch of complete nutters that time of the morning
Can Imagine the fare was a fair wack too.

kimble

Veteran
In spite of it being my favourite ride, it seems that I was in fact doomed not to make it to Whitstable this year.  I'd missed the last two on account of my asthma playing up and clashing with the Mildenhall rally.  I'd also become a Darkside convert earlier in the year and the Whitstable route is eminently 'bentable, so I decided to sign up for this one and risk having to pull out if the weather was going to be too cold to breathe properly.

Fortunately, in spite of things being a little moist, that was never an issue.

I'd come off the bike on a patch of diesel about two weeks ago, which is what I'm currently blaming for the higher than usual level of knee dodginess.  After enforced resting of assorted bruised limbs, I'd done some experimental riding on Thursday and decided that I was okay on the recumbent (my elbow still isn't quite right and objects to more than about half an hour on an upright bike).

Having seen various weather forecasts and failed to find one that was satisfactory, I was impressed by the turnout, especially by those who haven't done one of these rides before.  The ride started well, with an abusive motorist and a near miss from an unidentified liquid that was thrown at us from the footbridge at Embankment, but was otherwise relatively low in zombie-related incidents.  Though I was called a slag for lying down on my bike somewhere in the vicinity of Greenwich, which was a new one.

The toilet stop at Surrey Quays, while a good idea in theory, was marred by the complete absence of any loo roll in the ladies'.  Perhaps they need advance warning to stock up :smile:

My knee started to make its presence felt around Plumstead, though in a non-specific kind of way.  By Dartford it was officially Not Happy, rising to actually painful by the time we got to Gravesend.  It was an annoying sort of pain that was more to do with being at certain angles rather than the amount of force I was putting on it, so spinning a low gear, while probably wise, didn't really make it hurt any less.

As the ride got to the good bit on the road out to Higham, I was in rather a lot of pain and not in any state to appreciate it properly.  I decided that I was unlikely to make it all the way to Whitstable without damaging something, and even if I did, it would be a fairly slow and miserable affair.  When we got to Rochester I realised that I could barely walk, which decided it.  Consulting the internets revealed that the trains back to London were already running from the station just round the corner, so I bailed.

For reference, Rochester station has a waiting room with a rather lovely fan heater in it.

Slow train to Charing Cross made for a reasonable snooze, then a short easy ride to Euston, where I decided that a 17.50 walk-on ticket back to Brum beat hanging around for 5 hours for my booked train.  In spite of anti-inflammatories, my knee was excruciatingly painful for the duration of the journey back.  But the pain was massively reduced as soon as I got back on the bike for the 5km ride home.  Odd.

It's now mostly okay, and I can walk down stairs without pain, which is a good sign.  Seriously hoping it'll be okay for the York-Whitby ride next week.
Whitstable will have to wait until next year.

Top Bottom