FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast April 15th Manchester to Blackpool 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
Indeed, there was a whole avenue of balls to guide us to the (wrong) station

DSCN0926.JPG

Copied (at his request) from his post on YACF for Alan, who can't remember his password over here!

I see that the ride has been described sufficiently well above & over on the CC forum(which I cannot log onto) so I'll contribute the following
First of all..GWS Miranda.We wish you a speedy & complete recovery.
Many thanks to LeaderLegg for his enormous input into organising & making this event happen.
Many thanks to the leaders,marshalls,TECs & recce riders who made the route a doodle to stick to.
More thanks to Mr. Legg for having the nerve to allow an unknown quantity in the form of a tandem stoked by a 12 year old to partricipate.
I am suprised that the climbing was 770-ish metres.It felt like less.The only legging-it(excuse the pun please Simon:it's not intentional) bit was a 100 metres or so up a very very sharp rise.There's actually not much benefit in walking up a hill & pushing a tandem.It's very nearly as hard as riding the beast.The downhills were stupendous.One of the rare instances where as much time is spent descending as ascending.
I am refered to on Cycle Chat as a powerhouse :ohmy:Those who know me better will know that climbing is a particular weakness I have.The difference on this occassion was the contribution of a SDS,ie:-SupaDoopaStoker.
Emily & I enjoyed the last flat run-in to Bleakpool.In retrospect it felt like two rides,the challenge of climbing with the thrill of descending before the Carmen Rose & afterwards the glee of easy riding on the flatlands.
When we arrived at Quilligans for breakfast we had 97.2km on the computer.We then rode to my son's place for R&R which gave us a total of 101.2km.
Thanks to all of you for making Emily feel comfortable amongst strangers*.Particularly the
applause as we left Quilligans:she appreciated that.
I look forward to seeing you all again somewher/sometime in the future.

*Let's be honest:riding a bike from Madchester to Bleakpool,thru' the night over a hilly route when other flatter options are available is the action of a very strange individual. ;)

To crinklylion <stop> Send back message <stop> Well done Emily <don't stop> Stop <Damn :rolleyes:> Well done Alan too, for guiding a young mind through the night <stop> Hey! <stop> What's with the Legg pulling puns? <stop> Go! Go! Go! <stop>

(This message sent from RMS Lusitania at 20:43 GMT)

Stop! :biggrin:

Brilliant performance from a bright young thing.:sun:

italiafirenze

World's Greatest Spy
Thank you for your advice which I will of course follow. I will book the bike in for review/service before I use it again. I was advised to remove the plastic clip things on the spokes (if that is what dork discs are?!) as apparently they can come off and damage the spokes. I will have them put back on again.

I always thought they were called Pie Plates?

Adrian suffered at the hands of Frank yesterday, and it is only fair to point out that he is always there, always helpful. With Blackpool Tower looming, there was some helpful advice which was carefully indicated by this excellent TEC:

16acuwi.jpg

Zooming in, it is possible to relax, safe in the knowledge that people will not hit the water, or the Tower... perhaps. And, of course, general guidance for all cyclists! :smile:

5nmyz7.jpg

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
Well, anything has been said about the ride. But not by anybody
biggrin.gif

I thoroughly enjoyed the ride. Thanks Simon and the "local organisers". The route was beautiful and very doable, even on a Brompton. The locations for the break become better and better each ride.

I'm not sure if anybody has already posted the GPS track of the ride. Well, here it is.

Somebody mentioned the hypercracker. Well, I briefely cursed myself on the night for not carrying mine with me. However, I think it would have been useless in that special case for two reasons. First of all, the hypercracker needs the bike chain for being able to work. The chain, however, was jammed between the spokes and the sprocket. Secondly, I'm not sure if it would have been a smart idea to use it on such a costly carbon frame.... Risk of damaging the frame would have been significant, IMHO. Probably somebody should take a chain whip and the necessary tools (at least for Shimano) on the rides...

One of the best things of the night was that I found out that the idea of the republican ride on the wedding day wasn't just a joke. And next time, the Leica will come with me, again.

Cheers
Olaf

WRT Dan Kerr and the Germans: It was a pleasure :-) (I'm as grateful as you guys are.)

alans

black belt lounge lizard
Now that I can log-in, aquick "thankyou" to Crinkly Lion for copying my post from elsewhere onto this forum & the IT assistance.I'm now going to attempt to change my password to something easy to remember

Change it to 'emily', Alan! :biggrin:

In preparation for a visit to a bike shop I am trying to put together an explanation of what happened along with all your kind recommendations. So far it looks like this (I feel as though I am using a new language!):

Problem:
Overshifted and jammed chain between cassette and spokes.

Solutions to be carried out by mechanic:

1. Check the stop screws on the derailleur
2. Needs to look at the rear mech and know that the jockey wheels had to be removed and put back. I'm sure that the actual wheels and bolts ended up back in the right place because we know that it is impossible to put them in the wrong one. If the washers are different though, with the best will in the world, they could easily have ended up swapped, unless that is also not possible.
3. Fit Dork discs (the attached image shows the things that I had been recommended to remove - are they Dork Discs?)

Is this correct and is there anything else that I should ask them to do?

If you have a minute to let me know that would be fab so I can give the mechanic relevant clear information which will also let them know how much time to book in.

Big big thanks for all your help and kind words.

Appointment with fracture clinic tomorrow. My arm hurts! My brain however is loving the cyclechat humour and the fact that I was with you at least until Blackburn - and the magic of the enormous and kind FNRttCer wave from you all as I headed South on four wheels is a picture I have retained in my head that just makes me grin.

Happy Monday.

M

Attachments

• Umm Are these spoke protectors aka dork discs.jpg
    Umm Are these spoke protectors aka dork discs.jpg
    37.9 KB · Views: 60

frank9755

Cyclist
In preparation for a visit to a bike shop I am trying to put together an explanation of what happened along with all your kind recommendations. So far it looks like this (I feel as though I am using a new language!):

Problem:

2. Needs to look at the rear mech and know that the jockey wheels had to be removed and put back. I'm sure that the actual wheels and bolts ended up back in the right place because we know that it is impossible to put them in the wrong one. If the washers are different though, with the best will in the world, they could easily have ended up swapped, unless that is also not possible.
3. Fit Dork discs (the attached image shows the things that I had been recommended to remove - are they Dork Discs?)

If you have a minute to let me know that would be fab so I can give the mechanic relevant clear information which will also let them know how much time to book in.

Appointment with fracture clinic tomorrow. My arm hurts! My brain however is loving the cyclechat humour and the fact that I was with you at least until Blackburn - and the magic of the enormous and kind FNRttCer wave from you all as I headed South on four wheels is a picture I have retained in my head that just makes me grin.

Happy Monday.

M

You don't need a dork disc, just get them to set up the limit screws properly. But do get them to check the spokes; they could have been damaged by the chain jamming against them.

Hope the fracture clinic makes the pain go away! And hope to see you up and about again soon,

Frank

theclaud

Openly Marxist

Problem:

Happy Monday.

M

Those are just reflectors, M. Frank posted a picture of the spoke protector upthread. It's a disc the size of a saucer made of tough plastic. There might not have been one. We might have given your spokes a bit of a tough time whilst attempting to extricate the chain. The wheel seemed to be slightly out of true when you got going. I think they should sort this out for you as well as it's all a direct result of the limit screw error.

You don't need a dork disc, just get them to set up the limit screws properly. But do get them to check the spokes; they could have been damaged by the chain jamming against them.

Hope the fracture clinic makes the pain go away! And hope to see you up and about again soon,

Frank

Those are just reflectors, M. Frank posted a picture of the spoke protector upthread. It's a disc the size of a saucer made of tough plastic. There might not have been one. We might have given your spokes a bit of a tough time whilst attempting to extricate the chain. The wheel seemed to be slightly out of true when you got going. I think they should sort this out for you as well as it's all a direct result of the limit screw error.

Perfect - thankyou, thankyou. And I now know I never had Dork discs!

I have revised my list:

Problem:

3. Check the spokes as they could have been damaged by the chain jamming against them. In addition they might have been given a bit of a tough time whilst fabulous fellow cyclists attempted and successfully extricated the chain. The wheel seemed to be slightly out of true when I got going.

4. They should also check the chain hasnt been damaged by having been jammed aginst the spokes and the sprocket.

Hopefully that will give them an idea as to what is needed.

M

Edited to include Adrian C's kind comment about checking the chain. Thank you AdrianC.

Top Bottom