FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast April 15th Manchester to Blackpool 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

trio25

Über Member
Sounds like you all hard a great, if eventful for some ride, still sad to have missed it but still can't really eat after having my tonsils out so it was the right decision not to go.

In fairness I've not seen that happen to a bike since I was a kid. I think you were let down, Miranda, and that it's a very, very rare thing. I've certainly never had it happen to me, and I've ridden all kinds of bikes, going back to the days of triangular rather than parallelogram derailleurs and it's never, ever happened to me.

And I don't think that you should worry overmuch about when to change gear - on that same hill I forgot I was in the big ring, went all the way down and then shifted to the smaller ring while standing up. Obviously the best thing to do is to change at the front before the climb rather than after, because that is where problems can occur, but you didn't do anything wrong on that climb at all. You simply looked for a gear you didn't have - which we've all done before - and the stop screw wasn't there to stop the derailleur moving over.

Thanks Dellzeqq. That makes me feel much better as I was convinced it was entirely my fault.

M

frank9755

Cyclist
Thanks Dellzeqq. That makes me feel much better as I was convinced it was entirely my fault.

M

Definitely not the case!

I have to admit I have done it before. That was my fault as I'd set up the indexing myself after changing the cassette, and not done it right.
icon_redface.gif

It was about four years ago. I don't actually remember it happening but I didn't fall off or hurt myself. However the chain did damage several of the spokes. They were just scratches and small cuts, and it was a tough, 36 spoke wheel, so I did several thousand more miles on it with no further deterioration noticed, but do make sure that whoever checks your bike makes sure the spokes are ok.

This is a spoke protector.
shimano%20spoke%20protector.jpg

They are generally put on new bikes as a safety / legal thing (a bit like lawyers' lips on forks). You shouldn't need one as they don't serve any purpose if the mech is adjusted properly, which it should be! They are only any good if the mech is out of adjustment as yours clearly was.

frank9755

Cyclist
Quilligans was soon full with the fine citizens of Blackpool. On this admittedly limited sample, the use of the word ugly would be unkind, shall we just say they all seemed to have great faces for radio.

I think that, to be fair, quite a few of the faces were being pulled in disgust to see early morning drunkards cluttering the path to breakfast!

Oh really? Must have been the youngsters lowering the tone... We were telling the customers threadling their way through the luminous throng that Quilligans had run out of tea! :biggrin: (And Frank wanted to go to that place that served 3 :cheers: for a £5 IIRC. :whistle:)

frank9755

Cyclist
Quite. And not just drunkards, but sweaty drunkards, in spandex and luminous stuff.

Actually, reading that just made me pull a face a bit like this one
icon_smile_disapprove.gif
so it must be right!

We were I was telling the customers threadling their way through the luminous throng that Quilligans had run out of tea! :biggrin: (And Frank wanted to go to that place that served 3 :cheers: for a £5 IIRC. :whistle:)

On the basis that the barman recommended it and the beer couldn't possibly be any worse, it seemed a good idea - however maybe he was just suggesting it to get rid of us...? Surely not

Thank you.

DSCN0930.JPG

"Adrian adopted a squire's gait as he contemplated the thought of another few hours of Frank..."

Was the bossy chap (the one that dispensed micturating advice to Adrian etc) the one who was the blonde train guard's 'assistant' after we left the station, or was that someone else? Remember how you smoothed her over too, Frank, after she complained about five bikes boarding? :rolleyes:

frank9755

Cyclist
Was the bossy chap (the one that dispensed micturating advice to Adrian etc) the one who was the blonde train guard's 'assistant' after we left the station, or was that someone else? Remember how you smoothed her over too, Frank, after she complained about five bikes boarding? :rolleyes:

Yes, one and the same. Unless he was Professor Wallofski, that is? I'm sure Adrian will be along to clarify (or confuse, obfuscate, deny, etc)

I think it was when we flashed our First Class tickets to London that her heart melted.
smile.gif

Top Bottom