FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Brighton 23rd November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
II did notice that the majority of tyres that punctured were made by Continental. Just saying like. :whistle:

frank9755

Cyclist
Make it 4! I've had 5 punctures in the last 3 years / 30,000 miles

Getting punctures is a lifestyle choice which happens only very rarely if you use appropriate tyres, replace them when they are worn out, look after them and stay out of the gutter. By all means, puncture away when you are out on your own but recognise that it's a bit inconsiderate to do it and keep others hanging around on a cold, wet winter night!

thom

____
That 11 punctures did not prevent a 7 am arrival at the Madeira is good going.
I was a little heartbroken from the top of Ditchling to see the mist hanging low in the dips where we might have come. That would have made for an ethereal experience but, I'm pretty sure that would also have been the norm from at least Turner's hill onwards and much as it's a curiously spooky thing, for such a distance and with tiring legs that would have been risky on top of the puncture potential.
I cycled in to Ditchling with Agent Hilda and then on up alone (having been told to piss off :tongue:), climbing it for the first time I can remember in darkness. Each time of year, type of weather, route variation, state of the CofE and different people bring a new variation on the fnrttc standards.

8215693919_1ebc3958f4_z.jpg

Happy days - thanks Simon. OK, time to check those tyres...

Edit: about 5 largish sharps removed from the front tyre, 2 from the rear

Mr Haematocrit

msg me on kik for android
II did notice that the majority of tyres that punctured were made by Continental. Just saying like. :whistle:

OOOH... first no love for plastic and now hate crimes against Continental tyres (which I have just stuck on the Venge :cry:) ..... You are so off the Christmas card list ;)
Hope the new tin is working out better for you than the previous model and your actually getting to enjoy it..... I also saw in the devients thread that you have some nice shiny new tin bits for it.. are they fitted yet?

hatler

Guru
I have Krylions on the bike and my first puncture (and also first on an FNRttC) was a thorn, as found by Ian in about 3 seconds when he had the wheel in his hands. The second (two miles later) was indeed, as suspected, the result of some injudiciously robust pumping which split the valve stem from the tube.

On my commute I average about 1500 miles between punctures, and they are disproportionately on the back. My current front tyre (the one which was the culprit this time) has done over 6000 miles and this is its first pop.

I do keep out of the gutter and check my tyres on an occasional basis (and certainly before FNRttCs) but I'm nowhere near as fastidious as User10571 and others.

I'll update you with how many sharps I find in my tyres when I check later today.

hatler

Guru
That was, as ever, great fun. It's odd then that as I clamber out of bed after a brief lie down at about 10pm on the Friday, I still have to persuade myself every time that being outside is preferrable to staying where I am. As soon as I am out of the door and rolling down the road, the world is perfect.

That was quite a hard ride for me. I think I burnt a lot more calories than normal. The catch up to the peloton after my two punctures was faster than the usual rate and was without stops.

After that, detecting that Simon was keen to keep it rolling and get to Brighton asap, the leg from Balcombe to the top of the Beacon was almost done in one hit (I waymarked in Haywards Heath one way). I found myself near the front for much of this and was inspired to keep up (at speeds I don't normally sustain). By the time I got to the bottom of the Beacon being cold was bottom of my list of worries. I have always got up the Beacon in my middle ring (at least when I haven't been towing a small child), but I changed the existing 40t ring for a 42t recently, and I had already found myself in middle/bottom on a few of the lesser hills, so there was no way I was getting up without using the granny.

I changed to granny and 3rd at the crossroads with Underhill Lane hoping to hold this as long as possible. That lasted all of about 100 yards. Progress thereafter was at my slowest rate possible consistent with not falling off.

The 'beware horses' sign was never a more welcome sight.

Great company, lots of laughs, miles covered. What's not to like ?

Thanks to one and all. Can't wait for next year.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
OOOH... first no love for plastic and now hate crimes against Continental tyres (which I have just stuck on the Venge :cry:) ..... You are so off the Christmas card list ;)
Hope the new tin is working out better for you than the previous model and your actually getting to enjoy it..... I also saw in the devients thread that you have some nice shiny new tin bits for it.. are they fitted yet?
That reminded me. Had a brief spin on the new one at Ian's invitation. Suffice to say, Nice. Very Nice. Shiny Ti bits were present, correct and very shiny.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I did use bottom gear (30x28) for the Beacon- last gear more for ease and preserving stamina, but if you've got it no point to not use it- but I did have, as it was an after-work night, all the work gear in the bag, alongside Chris Martin's head and The Supplies. On the Viner, which only weighs a kilo or two less (!) I've gone no lower than 34x25, 34x23 when I'm feeling stronger.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah

Who said no love for plastic... was just polishing the Spesh plastic today.. it's still very much loved.
Continental tyres? Just saying what I see. ie the majority of punctures I see on other bikes are with Continental tyres.

Yup all the new bit's on the bike and it looks and ride lush thank you very much..:thumbsup:

TimO

Guru
Every conti tyre I've had in recent years, has ended up in the bin because of fairy like tendencies, but those have always come with a new bike, so clearly aren't the most expensive tyres available. Currently I'm mostly using Marathon Supreme and Plus tyres on bikes not intended for tremendous speed, and Michelin Pro3s on Red, which I expect to go marginally faster on. The only visits from the fairy I've had this year have been on FNRttCs, with two visits this year (twice the number of all previous years together!), but one of those was down to cycling through a patch of glass that I would have gone around if I was by myself, and the view wasn't obscured by other riders. I don't check my tyres every ride, but that would be twice a day with commuting! By using relatively bullet proof tyres, I reckon on having at most a couple of visits a year (which is the worst rate I've had for several years).

I found this ride relatively easy, even though I wasn't at my best, still throwing off some minor lurgy. It was helped by being a TEC for the second half, so not having to sprint back and forth waymarking (which I only did once on the whole ride this month). On Red the beacon is never a problem, even after being weakened by living in flat London for several years!

Wet roads tend to bump up the fairy rate, presumably since this makes tyres slightly more prone to picking up bits, and the lubricating effect of rain helps small sharp pieces to get into slight cuts. Heavy rain (which we didn't have) can wash a lot of sharp debris onto the road. I'm guessing that the mildly wet conditions (foggy rather than rainy) was responsible for a lot of the problems we had, plus a couple of unfortunate incidents of patches of glass with insufficient warning given to those behind. Luckily we didn't have any troublesome tyres, which have been the major cause of long delays in the past. On a couple of occasions we've had tyres which resulted in multiple repairs, before we gave in. Taking a tyre off three or four times, putting it back on, pumping it up, and so forth, takes a long time,because you're getting progressively more knackered and thinking less clearly. On both of those occasions, which I was present at, it took something like an hour before we gave up, and the rider was shipped back home in a Taxi (or left awaiting one that had been ordered).

The occasional fairy visits are always going to happen, and we've shown that even with a dozen, the ride shouldn't be delayed too badly (assuming no other problems), but on those more troublesome occasions, it's been down to bicycles which the rider has borrowed and isn't familiar with, or where they've never actually taken the tyre off themselves, so are consequently surprised when it turns out to be an absolute bastard. Perhaps we should have a minimum previous mileage on a bike before it can be used on a FNRttC. ^_^

Steve Jones

30 x 23 on Ditchling Beacon, the lowest I have, and went straight onto it at the base of the climb. I know there are some who like to keep a lower gear in reserve, but I never see the point. Riding too high a gear at the start just makes it worse later on. No great problems climbing the Beacon, but that's not the same as feeling good doing it, which I didn't. The September climb was more enjoyable, but I think that was primarily the weather and not being encumbered with all the extra winter gear. I've only ever ridden up the Beacon four times; three times on the current bike, the first of the trio being 17 years ago on a 40 x 23 combination, the difference being having converted the bike to a triple this year. I think I'd find the 1995 combo a bit more difficult these days.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
An unusual, but as ever enjoyable night out, the patchy fog adding a new dimension. Never before had to use the Hope above level 2, as it's always been adequate, but it got deployed at full power here and there, when the sides of the road couldn't be seen. It was more a case of following the red light ahead.
Dead spooky through the wooded lanes with the water dripping from the trees and the owls hooting in the silence.
Gatwick an interesting diversion - aren't airport lounges weird places in the middle of the night? No hordes milling about, just numerous prone travellers occupying whatever seating is available. Mind you, I'd recommend Caffè Nero's mince pies. - it was worth the trek upstairs.
Also couldn't move for Colnago's, 3! are they the new BMW.
Nothing so tacky, please, Chris!
I was following Susie down Reigate Hill when a van passed her rather closely for my comfort, let alone hers.
Ah, yes the blue one. It gave me a bit of a close call, too.

Was this the fastest Brighton FNRttC ever?
Sorely regretting wussing out of the SMRbtH, as I note Ian (and his bootiful VN Ti that I envy) commented it wasn't as :rain:on the way back as I originally thought it would be.
Thanks to all the usual TECs, waymarkers and to DZ for another grand year of midnight madness.
Roll on spring.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
if memory serves we were in Brighton just after six, one rider having simply disappeared without saying goodbye. We later found out that he was a communications consultant. We did stop at Gatwick, though.

That was a really cold night. I'd have simply cancelled the ride if it had been that cold this year.

Dogtrousers

Kilometre nibbler
I'm utterly unashamed to say that I not only used my lowest (34 / 32) gear up the Beacon but also up a host of other inclines during the ride. Probably some flat bits too when starting up. When I cobbled together the gearing on my bike for my MAMIL stylee return to cycling earlier this year I stuck an 11-32 MTB cassette and a 48/34 double on it with the express aim of providing a low low bottom gear to ease the pressure on my poor middle aged knees, especially the expensively repaired left one. I fully intend to make maximum use of it. I positively whizzed up the Beacon ... well, a trundly, puffy, wheezy kind of whizz.

I should add that in addition to hauling 95+kg of me up the hill, there was also 15+kg of bike, plus a saddlebag full of (un needed as it turned out) spare clothes, eccles cakes, tools spare batteries, and bits of other crap shoved in just because there was room in there.

Top Bottom