FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Brighton 23rd November

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Steve Jones

You would not wanting to be cycling to Brighton just now. There's a 20+mph southerly blowing with gusts over 40 blowing out here in Maidenhead. It's somewhat stronger further south. Kind of "exciting" on the bike this evening. Glad to be home in one piece.

TimO

Guru
why not go for one of these Tim?

http://trotify.com/
I don't think it would look appropriate in red. :smile:

You would not wanting to be cycling to Brighton just now. There's a 20+mph southerly blowing with gusts over 40 blowing out here in Maidenhead. It's somewhat stronger further south. Kind of "exciting" on the bike this evening. Glad to be home in one piece.
Unfortunately, my commute home (in about ten minutes) is essentially the first twelve miles of the route from HPC to Brighton! This should be fun ...

thom

____
current forecast is for a 6 mph easterly on sat morning though - should be fine.
Light rain from 6 am ish

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
current forecast is for a 6 mph easterly on sat morning though - should be fine.
Light rain from 6 am ish
Yup, fingers crossed it's OK. If it does get blowy Saturday afternoon, it's supposed to be a tailwind for my ride home (I'll believe that when I see it).

defy-one

Maidenhead? How is it that you have not done a Slough ride with us lot yet?? :smile:

Andrij

Über Member
Ouch! Hope everything turns our alright, TMN.

My excuse is feeble in comparison. It's been a hellish week in the office and I'm just too tired. That said, I may come out to the start to say hello, then head back home.

I haven't looked back through the relevant threads, but I think that I may have gone the whole year without making it to Brighton even once. :sad:

thom

____
Forecast changed slightly - looking dry if misty/foggy in places until at least 6 am but heavy rain around 9 am and for the rest of the morning, drifting north to London...

Wobblers

Euthermic
Sorry everyone, I'm not going to make this ride after all. I fell down my loft ladder a couple of weeks ago (scary at the time; slightly comical in retrospect) and it seems I might have compressed or even cracked my heel bone - it's extremely painful and I'm meant to be walking with a stick! I can cycle, but I haven't been (too busy working, and getting ready to move hence the multiple trips up into the loft) so I'm very unfit. Ergo, if I'm defeated by any of the hills on the way I just won't be able to get off and walk. Then there's all the walking to and from the trains ... and to and from the bar afterwards.

I was so looking forward to seeing everyone for what will probably be the last night ride of the season, so I'm gutted. Have fun and don't delay with the ride reports please.

Ouch! It would be worth getting your foot x-rayed, if you haven't already. I found it was useful to get someone else to walk to and from the bar for me - I'm sure you could find some willing volunteers! :thumbsup:

GWS, and hopefully we'll see you at the Madeira tomorrow.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
quite a few have dropped out - I'll get back to you later in the day.

Just a word of warning. If the fog is thick then we'll not go down the A23 to the underside of Gatwick, but, rather, turn left just before the roundabout and take the cycle path. I went this way yesterday and the path is pants, so apologies in advance, but cars will go down the A23 at speed, even if the drivers can't see five metres ahead.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
2168451 said:
What about the "Authorised vehilcles only" route at Povey Cross and perimeter road option?
it's too long and the road is not much better than the path. Temperamentally I'm in favour of the A23 because it's quick and it has the added benefit of being visible to the Gatwick police - and that's another reason for not taking the Authorised Vehicles route. We don't want them to worry about us.

(edit) I should have said the riverside path, not the one we used to go down, which is hard work for fifty cyclists.

Top Bottom