FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Brighton 3rd August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Hooray for South West Trains.

That means I can plan some long commutes, safe in the knowledge that I can bail if I get fed up (as I did last night..)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I don't like Devils Dyke going north with a group unless one takes the golf course diversion. - and, even then, I'm not keen on the roundabout.

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
Bagsy a spot on team fast (I'll be hanging off the back mind you). I had a look at a possible route last night and figured on around a mere 45 miles from Brighton to SW20... going over the Dyke :smile:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
1929657 said:
Ditchling from the south is just a long drag. The easiest route, in terms of least climbing, is the cycle path by the A23 but it is beside the A23.

And laden with glass...

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Bagsy a spot on team fast (I'll be hanging off the back mind you). I had a look at a possible route last night and figured on around a mere 45 miles from Brighton to SW20... going over the Dyke :smile:

hahahahah.. ianrauk goes to check Sittingducks average speed on MyCyclingLog :laugh:

rb58

Enigma
I don't know what it is about The Dyke, but it always kills me. I think it's to do with the long drag out of Brighton to get to it. We hates it! I've used the A23 cycle path a few times and have found it okay. It's only a couple of miles, then you can link up with the Dyke Road after the nasty bits.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
I don't know what it is about The Dyke, but it always kills me. I think it's to do with the long drag out of Brighton to get to it. We hates it! I've used the A23 cycle path a few times and have found it okay. It's only a couple of miles, then you can link up with the Dyke Road after the nasty bits.

yet I don't mind it at all.
Probably knowing the nice downhills that are to come...

However it's the short sharp climb up to Handcross which is a killer... just ask MacB lol

martint235

Dog on a bike
Handcross still takes me by surprise!!

As to climbing the Beacon I've just assumed that the way to the top would be the way I come down into Brighton which seems a bit steeper than "a bit of a drag". Probably wrong. I don't mind the Dyke though, it helps to get the breakfast feeding through to my legs.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
have any of you ever gone 'the wrong way' up Slugwash Lane? The ascent to the A272 is really tough.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
turns out I now have a pass to get up at silly o'clock, ride from Horsham to Brighton for breakfast and ride back. Funny old world innit?

Will probs tag along north with team slow, if that is agreeable, team fast being probably too swift for my taste.

StuartG

slower but further
have any of you ever gone 'the wrong way' up Slugwash Lane? The ascent to the A272 is really tough.
Yes, the Sunday before LonJoG. It was peeing down with rain which is my main memory. Didn't really register as a bad hill. Nope, far worse is that long slow grind up from Lindfield to Turners Hill. That I could do without. Short & Sharp is better than Long & Slopy.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Stuart - you and I went up it on the way back from Newhaven - a ride that stands out as one of my all time favourites

Top Bottom