FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Brighton 3rd August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Notice the 'Brompton style'. As in not the less economical Dahon/Tern fold?
I have an Airnimal, which as any fule kno, folds but only just, and I sometimes carry it on at Cannon Street station in rush hours. I think station staff have no idea what a folding bike looks like really, so as long as it sort of folds and you can carry it, you can get it on. I know someone who takes a Dahon into London Bridge at rush hour every morning.

Shanks

Hi there, if it's not to late to join in on this, what time do you expect to coming through Horsham?

We are in Chichester so the trains fiasco is probably going to stop us getting up to HPC for the proper start. So unless we can sort something on SWT from Havant to Waterloo, we could manage to meet at Horsham, join the group down to Brighton then cycle back along the coast to home.

It would be our first night ride so perhaps a shorter route on this occasion would be a good thing. Also is there an age limit on these rides, my son is 14? The distance shouldn't faze him, he's completed longer distances and, sadly for me, his usual riding position is sat at the top of the next hill waiting for me to catch up.

Thanks, Mike

TimO

Guru
Shanks / Mike,

You may be better off emailing dellzeqq / Simon directly using fnrttc@yahoo.co.uk, just in case he doesn't see this enquiry directly. Both of the questions you ask are ones that he really needs to make a decision about.

StuartG

slower but further
I had a long discussion with a very nice Southern Guard on the train home last night.

"I'm a bit confused about the Olympic Cycling restrictions, different web pages are saying different things. What have you been told to enforce?"
"That's lucky - I've got the special pack with me that (Southern) have given us about the Olympics"
(Cue much sorting of different unindexed documents through 3 stops and an unknown number of unsold tickets)
"Aha - here it is!"
He then showed me the document which was word for word what appears here:
http://www.southernrailway.com/your-journey/cycle-policy/london-2012-cycle-restrictions/

"Am I right that basically means its OK south of Gatwick but not north?"
"Yes, but I take that as just a guide, if there's room I let 'em stay."
"That's it? No briefings ..."
"Nope, we do seem to try and makes things difficult for cyclists don't we?"

I could have kissed the guy. The bottom line is that we appear to be entitled to use Southern trains below Gatwick. OK so the guard on the day may not be as good as my guy at finding that out which could lead to tears. But if it is pi**ing down on the Brighton ride than its worth a try to get home (or partway) on Southern. If they throw you off you do have grounds to reclaim the ticket so there's nowt to lose ...

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the Southern ban is a bit mysterious. Staff at Brighton have been told 'no bikes on Southern trains', and the manager has backed that up.

I suppose all we can do is try it.....

Skipole

Hi All
This is the first time that i have ever used a blog/twitter or whatever.
I,m in Bromsgrove and one of my patients mentioned this ride and as i have never cycled intentionally in the dark, it sounds great. If you are open to new registrants then that would be great?
How do i join you up and where does it begin?

Adrian

Hi All
I,m in Bromsgrove and one of my patients mentioned this ride and as i have never cycled intentionally in the dark, it sounds great. If you are open to new registrants then that would be great?

Adrian
Wow! Adrian2..."one of your patients" I can only deduce that you are a psychiatrist. On these rides we even have to have straight jacket potatoes when we eat brunch, so you'll feel at home - and it's usually good fun, until the other Adrian starts messing with your mind, or 'phone, or both...:whistle:
Welcome anyway, and Wanda's advice is spot on. Simon is encased in an aura of common sense and will be..er sensible.:smile:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Hi All

Adrian
this would be a patient with a bone sticking out of his ankle.......

this would be a patient with a bone sticking out of his ankle.......
As I said - Adrian2 has been dealing with a nutcase; this one thinks he's Johnny Winter on wheels :rolleyes:
jw1.jpg

Hope you are being a good patient, Andrew, and playing nicely.

Top Bottom