FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Brighton 3rd August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
The normal SMRbtH route is to the west of the A23 and, apart from the Dyke, is a cracking route until Handcross. After that, you have choices.

Trickedem

Guru
There will be another SMRB. I will be going to Lewes then North East up to Rochester via Mayfield and Paddock Wood, avoiding Tonbridge Wells and Tonbridge. I don't expect it will be that fast.

clivedb

Guru
Sorry not to be joining any of the teams (sloth probably the one - or more suitably Team Geriatric), but I'm off with Team Normandy that weekend - and I haven't got the wrong year!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Jonathan G
Olaf S
Martin T
Ross C
Sonia W
Mark A
Andrew Br
Jim G
Andrew F
Tim W
Fu C
Rob H
Mike B
Chris W
Tim D
Miranda S
Moses A
Anthony McC
Ian A
Charlie B
Stuart G
Stuart A
TJ A
Joan A
Susie F
Tim H
Anne H
Jenny M
Tim O
Mark G
Gail G
Simon W
Christophe P
Paul U
Katie S
Matthew W
Sandra S
Chris J
Scott E
John S
Mark P
Martin L-S
John G
User10571 B
Stephen W
Jack H
Chris B
Martin W
Jim G

TimO

Guru
It's clearly all uphill on the way back to London. London is above Brighton on the map, so it must be uphill. ^_^

I think this ride will be as good an excuse as any to cycle home. It's only 45 miles or so for me, so not too bad a jaunt.

SaLQ83

1929657 said:
Ditchling from the south is just a long drag. The easiest route, in terms of least climbing, is the cycle path by the A23 but it is beside the A23.

I think Adrian is right, you can take the london road cycle path up and go along the A23.

Anyways just heard about what you guys are doing tomorrow, so let us know when you're in B City by the Beach and will come and say hello.

GVSAM7

Regular
Another alternative is to go from lewes road to lewes, from lewes to haywards heath and then london. or from lewes to ditchling as already mentioned and from there to london.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I ambled down to Brighton this morning, and George joined me for the return trip. Surrey is seriously wet. I'm going to check Lonesome Lane again on Wednesday, but, as of this morning it's off the menu - mind you the A23 southbound was flooded just north of Horley. I tried a new variation along Langshott Road, which was, to put it kindly, interesting. Broadbridge Road was flooded, and Slugwash Lane was a mess - the bottom of the descent from the A272 covered in gravel and dirt.

The return was easier than I remembered it, and really quite pretty. If we leave the Madeira in good time we should avoid the traffic pretty much up to Horley

StuartG

slower but further
Yep Surrey was beautiful today but the debris left on the lanes is the worst I've ever seen. The road from Westhumble up to Ranmore Common had boulders as well as gravel in places. Lethal.

Tim Hall

I ambled down to Brighton this morning, and George joined me for the return trip. Surrey is seriously wet. I'm going to check Lonesome Lane again on Wednesday, but, as of this morning it's off the menu - mind you the A23 southbound was flooded just north of Horley. I tried a new variation along Langshott Road, which was, to put it kindly, interesting. Broadbridge Road was flooded, and Slugwash Lane was a mess - the bottom of the descent from the A272 covered in gravel and dirt.

The return was easier than I remembered it, and really quite pretty. If we leave the Madeira in good time we should avoid the traffic pretty much up to Horley

Langshott Lane? Something of a challenge, especially in the dark. To get to The Edifice from Horley and avoiding The Badands, I'd go down the B2036 from the A23 junction, over the railway then left up Smallfield Road (passing the end of Langshott Lane), right at the end down Redehall Road. And I'm not surprised Broadbridge Lane was flooded.

I'll be on holiday, which is why I'm not joining you all, but I thought I'd share the contents of an email I've just received this morning from Southern Railways, which nows shows that (on the whole) bikes are only banned between London & Gatwick.

Cycles
During the London 2012 Games, we are expecting our trains to be even busier than usual. We will welcome fully folded (Brompton style) bikes on our trains at any time, however, in addition to the usual peak time restrictions we have in place further restrictions will apply throughout the period 27 July to 9 September.
Non fully folded bikes will not be allowed on any Gatwick Express service, Mainline services between London Bridge/London Victoria and Gatwick (including via Redhill), on Metro routes or on the West London Route between Watford Junction and East Croydon.

Click here for map.

So either get the train to Three Bridges and then cycle back, or cycle to Uckfield, and get a train to South Croydon, as that's outside the banned area.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
a limited climbdown. Let's hope Southeastern give it up as well.

Notice the 'Brompton style'. As in not the less economical Dahon/Tern fold?

StuartG

slower but further
a limited climbdown.
Nope. This is what has been on Southern's website as I posted some time ago. It conflicted with NatRail but Southern is more likely to do as Southern say.

Still supposedly stuffed this side of Gatwick. But if you know the open stations or those operated by LORAL then you should be able to sneek on/off.

Top Bottom