FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Brighton April 26th

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I was just typing my "yes please" email when a feeling of déjà vu came over me. April 26th ... where have I seen that date before? It's somehow familiar. What could it possibly be?

Oh yes ... it's my wife's birthday. ^_^ So no thanks. Note to self to book posh meal.:hungry:

Note to subaqua, it would be the ideal intro to FNRttC
Doesn't she ride a bike? :smile:

hatler

Guru
mmm not sure if this would be a good introduction to FNRTtC. convince me peeps
Great route.
Great half way stop.
Great and rapidly served brekky.
Stunning views.
Oodles of trains back to that thar London.

kimble

Veteran
Indeed. It was my first, and if you can handle the Beacon (which really isn't that bad) you'll manage anything on the other rides. Cracking views, splendid half-way stop, the Madeira at the end. What's not to like?

Exactly. The only thing to be wary of with the Brighton route is that, by London standards and compared to some of the longer rides, it's Not Flat. Everyone makes a big fuss about the Beacon, but at the end of the day, that's walkable. And Turner's Hill is mostly over by the time you realise it's a real hill anyway.

Wobblers

Euthermic

It was my first FNRttC on a cold, wet and head-windy February three years ago. It was so good - despite the weather! - that I'll be sending an email off to Dell asking for More.

Do it: you won't regret it! (And no, I'm not telling you who I am so they'll be no opportunities for retaliation if it all goes pear shaped somewhere south of Coulsdon!)

U

User10571

Brighton was my first FNRttC seven years ago - when there were about twelve of us on the ride.
Been back for plenty more since then.
Just do it.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
It was my first FNRttC on a cold, wet and head-windy February three years ago. It was so good - despite the weather! - that I'll be sending an email off to Dell asking for More.

Do it: you won't regret it! (And no, I'm not telling you who I am so they'll be no opportunities for retaliation if it all goes pear shaped somewhere south of Coulsdon!)

Your secret is safe with us, McWobble. No, really. Trust me on this.

theclaud

Openly Marxist
2347132 said:
Like others, Brighton was my first FNRttC also. It was a right shambles. Three punctures for one rider before we reached Tooting. One rider lost before we reached Gatwick. A bit of rain as we left Gatwick and half the field quit.

The Genteel to Brighton was my first. It went swimmingly and I was entranced.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Well if you can't do the Brighton ride you can't do any of them. It's shorter than most FNRttC, there's only a couple of hills (The Beacon is a bit steep but only short and some people walk it anyway), the halfway stop is the best, and the trains back are frequent, cheap and fast. There are some superb downhill bits, all swoopy and atmospheric in the dark with drippy trees and lovely bends. It's a lovely ride. With extra added loveliness of sheer joy when tripping the speed camera on the triumphant entry into Brighton (steel frames preferred). Oh, and being at the top of the Beacon at dawn is utterly brilliant. Vernon, who is not a silly person, came all the way from Leeds to ride it so it must be good. Now go away and send that email to Dellzeqq and stop messing about all dithery.

Top Bottom