FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Emsworth 20th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Might one meet the ride at Tescos Broadbridge Heath? I've a meeting that Friday evening I need to be at which would make getting to the start at midnight rather a push.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Seriously? easy for you mate...

Edit: you did it on last years Bognor run when the off road had to be ditched...
not quite - I'm planning to take you up the steep side (oo-er) rather than the dangerous side. And if we go over Leith Hill, Ross will suffer horribly. We'll sell tickets.

Susie, Claudine and I will be checking out the route from the A29 to Emsworth during the week after next. We will adopt the Flying V formation, and all protruding manhole covers will be vapourised.

Trains

there is one direct to Clapham Junction every hour. There are two Brighton trains every hour, which stop at Barnham (where one can change on to the trains running from Bognor for Clapham Junction), and Hove (frequent trains). So...........I'm not anticipating a big log-jam at Emsworth Station. I apologise, User482, for not having clocked that the Portsmouth to Cardiff trains aren't running that weekend. As you say, you can go via Reading, but I imagine it's a bit of a slog.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Might one meet the ride at Tescos Broadbridge Heath? I've a meeting that Friday evening I need to be at which would make getting to the start of midnight rather a push.
sure thing. Just hang around the toilets and tell the security guard you're waiting for men in skin-tight clothing.........

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Susie, Claudine and I will be checking out the route from the A29 to Emsworth during the week after next. We will adopt the Flying V formation, and all protruding manhole covers will be vapourised.
:hello: Don't forget the steamroller for the A259. Available to join you Monday, Tuesday or Thursday morning. And I will probably be going along the 259 on Sunday.

rb58

Enigma
But that time, iirc, we went up the easier, but, it's said, more dangerous, western side rather than the A29 steeper but safer north face.
Actually, I think I rode down the A29 portion of Bury Hill a couple of years back on a ride back from Bognor, thinking, 'this is nice, but I wouldn't want to be going the othe way'.

U

User482

I apologise, User482, for not having clocked that the Portsmouth to Cardiff trains aren't running that weekend. As you say, you can go via Reading, but I imagine it's a bit of a slog.

It's an extra change and about 45 minutes longer. No big deal.

TimO

Guru
Can I join this one please Simon?

I enjoyed the Superspeedy to Harwich last year, it was very good fun.

mangaman

Hey Simon - it's only the week before my wedding and I'll be busy - but your route passes about 100 yards from my gaff.

There'll probably be too many to invite round, but if you want a fanboy (+fiance) screaming encouragement. handing out bidons /bacon sarnies, dressed as the devil (possibly) as you pass through Chi, give me a PM/text!

BTW I don't think the A259 is that bad - just avoid the "cycle lane" which is about 1 metre wide - the road is wide enough and pretty traffic free.

What I would seriously recommend is not going around the A27 roundabout to join the A259. It is a nightmare.

Simply cycle along West Street in Chi / and continue going West. You'll get to a rail crossing and once across be in Fishbourne on the A259 without flirting with the A27 and it's more direct. Again get in touch and I'll send you more details.

The Jogger

Legendary Member
It might be worthwhile dropping a right at Slindon, Eartham and drop down to Chi that way...............much quieter and prettier.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
BTW I don't think the A259 is that bad - just avoid the "cycle lane" which is about 1 metre wide - the road is wide enough and pretty traffic free.

What I would seriously recommend is not going around the A27 roundabout to join the A259. It is a nightmare.

Simply cycle along West Street in Chi / and continue going West. You'll get to a rail crossing and once across be in Fishbourne on the A259 without flirting with the A27 and it's more direct. Again get in touch and I'll send you more details.

The 259 is really nice between Fishbourne and Chidham, OK between there and Emsworth...and increasingly nasty thereafter. +1 for the route through Chi, I usually go that way (though that might put Simon off...).

And another +1 for the Jogger's suggestion.

Top Bottom