FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Emsworth 20th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
I'm comfortable as a soloist (I think you were the Tim who changed my tube for me at the edifice in the freezing cold last winter), but I'm thinking tandem thoughts - MrsW and I are off to JOG in June and I don't particularly fancy doing that without relatively recent night-riding experience.

Bury Hill is clearly going to be a bastard whatever - but on the tandem we have the advantage of a winch gear (28/34).

Emsworth also has the advantage of being close to the Portsmouth-Guildford line, so there is a welcoming bed not that far away.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
On the Harwich ride we have to get to the landing craft at 5.30. It's 65 miles. If we get punctures we have to make up the time. Our average moving speed will be about fourteen, but that includes time in East London, and there were long stretches where we did 18

Emsworth - I'm just going to play it by ear. If we're collectively up for it, we'll take Leith Hill - but, if not, we'll go via Newdigate. If we have time we'll go via Bosham, if we don't we won't. I aim to get to Emsworth at 7.30, which is do-able because I did it from my place in four hours, and I reckon Susie can do it in six and a half hours.

Bury Hill is horrible, but, again, it's do-able. It's just so miserable a climb that you don't even feel good about getting to the top......but, if you are looking for a run-up to LonJoG then Whitstable is a better bet. It's a good test of technique, it's a nice distance, and we will be going more slowly.

StuartG

slower but further
Last year's Harwich SS certainly did have its speedy moments post Maldon. I was worried about Ramsgate but that seemed not significantly faster than a normal FNRttC. Speeds might have been higher because we were taking a more direct route with more main roads and less country lanes with less stops but it wasn't really harder unless you need a good midway 'fix'. Just ten miles further.

I'm guessing if you have done a few FNRttCs and feel both comfortable and think you have a bit more in the tank then its doable and enjoyable. IMHO stamina is a more valuable asset than speed. Well couple that with the ability to remove a few of Teef's spokes unobserved ...

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
vay true. You get to the top and just say "Feck, that was horrible. I'm not doing that again in daylight."
Yup, did that on Simon's ride for food in August last year..it was a Surrey/Sussex loop so I turned south at Billingshurst to make my way home (once I knew I was far enough away to make the ton). Remember grinding my way up this nasty climb in 34x27, got to the top, saw a familiar-looking roundabout, then I twigged.....

martint235

Dog on a bike
It's not that bad Thom. You'll coast up it

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Blooming heck, how high is this hill ? What's the max gradient ?

Is there any more juice in the Bury Hill cycosis or should we just get over it ? :tongue:
Not that high. Not that steep. As a relative local neither of those factors are why I hate it though. Road surface and speed of passing traffic are much nearer the top of the list. But then I love the climb up from the river side at Houghton/Amberley

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
I think I might not enjoy an FNRttC without a big-ish break in the middle. Don't mind a somewhat faster rolling average as I tend to be near the front anyway but the middle break is always welcome.

@dellzeqq: When's the closing date for this one?

I think I'd enjoy a slightly higher speed. And I find the long breaks are just a bit too long, in that you have time to eat, toilet, then sag. If it were a bit shorter, there wouldn't be such a slump (though I fully appreciate the logistical task of getting 100 people fed watered & emptied).

I've been considering putting myself up for this ride, but I was unsure if I'd be holding people up too much (esp uphill, where asthma trumps strong thighs). As it is, events have occurred. But I'm tempted to look at another...

Actually, I think I rode down the A29 portion of Bury Hill a couple of years back on a ride back from Bognor, thinking, 'this is nice, but I wouldn't want to be going the othe way'.
I rode down too, Ross - a couple of years ago during a ride back - and I was on the brakes as there were five or six of us. About 44 mph although a 'big speed' would have been achievable. (Is there an A&E nearby?)
IMG_5631.JPG
Then, just a few hours later, rolling out of Central Londres with Des, this happened:
IMG_5621size.jpg
The good news was that it happened on High Street Ken - just prior to entering the Hammersmith Gyratory. One handed steering is not brilliant fun, but 'doable'. I put it down to all that technology and other crap around the handlebars - Garmin, speedo, double tape - even mudguards and TWO waterbottles + a helmet! (It could have been worse had I not been wearing one...could have 'parted company' on Bury Hill too! :smile: )

Simon - can you add my name to the list please. My plans are still changeable due to work but would like to add my name please

Top Bottom