FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Emsworth 20th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Actually, I think I rode down the A29 portion of Bury Hill a couple of years back on a ride back from Bognor, thinking, 'this is nice, but I wouldn't want to be going the othe way'.
then you're a tougher item than I am. The curve at the bottom of Bury Hill is pretty terrifying at 50mph.

In truth Bury Hill is do-able - it's easier than Ditchling by a way - but there's absolutely nothing pleasurable about it. Any sense of achievement is deferred until you get the view over Amberley and North Stoke from the top - and it is a magnificent view. The hill itself has horrible noisy tarmac, and cars zoom by in the fast lane at fifty miles an hour. It is, however, far safer than the other way up the hill - doing the moving roadblock thing last year was probably my all-time FNRttC low point.

Bear in mind, peeps, that I've been cycling around Chichester these last forty years, so I've got a fair idea of the roads. I'm intending to come in via St. Pancras, go on to East Street, take absolutely no notice of the 'no cycling' signs outside Caffe Nero (I'm pretty sure they don't apply at that time of the morning), shoot straight up to the Cross, and then go out past Waterstones and the Cathedral, down Westgate and through rather grotty underpass beneath the A27. If there's a lot of us I'll stop the traffic on the A259 using my speshul powers. If you want to throw some palm fronds our way, M-man, then can I suggest the Cross - we'll be going through as a group. Whether you think it sensible to introduce your beloved to thirty grubby FNRttCers ('look, darling, these are my friends...oh...you're saying the wedding's off???) is for you to decide.

The A27 from the roundabout below Slindon and west holds no fears for me if the weather is decent. I'll be at the back, giving the following cars the hard stare. If it's raining I'll probably go south of the A27, but the additional time will probably do for the Bosham diversion. The Halnaker Road is really not suited to group rides - it's both fast and narrow....... but, Chessers, if you really want to throw yourself off the South Downs in a big way, Duncton Hill on the A285 going north is an absolute honey. The bend at the bottom is a double apex job and the second apex is tighter. It takes real skill (aka dumb luck) to avoid going across the white line and in to the oncoming traffic. I've completely run out of road on that one and take to the opposite verge. It is more dangerous than Pebblecombe, and that is saying something.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
tI'm intending to come in via St. Pancras, go on to East Street, take absolutely no notice of the 'no cycling' signs outside Caffe Nero (I'm pretty sure they don't apply at that time of the morning), shoot straight up to the Cross, and then go out past Waterstones and the Cathedral, down Westgate and through rather grotty underpass beneath the A27. If there's a lot of us I'll stop the traffic on the A259 using my speshul powers.

:thumbsup:

mangaman

If you want to throw some palm fronds our way, M-man, then can I suggest the Cross - we'll be going through as a group. Whether you think it sensible to introduce your beloved to thirty grubby FNRttCers ('look, darling, these are my friends...oh...you're saying the wedding's off???) is for you to decide..

Hmm.. good point

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[quote="dellzeqq, post: 1784891, member: 3567" I'm intending to come in via St. Pancras, go on to East Street, take absolutely no notice of the 'no cycling' signs outside Caffe Nero (I'm pretty sure they don't apply at that time of the morning), shoot straight up to the Cross, and then go out past Waterstones and the Cathedral, down Westgate[/quote]

Is there a sign prohibiting cycling on East Street? If there is I've been ignoring it for a shamefully long time...
chi1.jpg

More annoyed than usual at not being able to make this one: Emsworth is both pretty and where the first love of my life had her familly home....:smooch:

...On second thoughts, perhaps best to avoid the possibility of ending up ranting outside the house about the injustice of it all after post ride drinks :cursing:

Tim Hall

Several things of no particular importance:

1. I can't make this one, which is a shame. The run south from Horsham is peachy beyond compare. I hope to be on this one. Felpham, on the other hand, I can't make.

2. Tandem friends of mine blew their rear tyre out as they descended Bury Hill at Vveryfast. Excellent bike handling by the pilot saw them go for ages on the rim, which resembled a 50p piece by the end of it, and then lay down on the verge.

3. For maximum comedic effect my grate frend Penfold refers to Caffe Nero as Cafe Nerd. It's a typeface thing.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
Might one meet the ride at Tescos Broadbridge Heath? I've a meeting that Friday evening I need to be at which would make getting to the start at midnight rather a push.
I'd like to swap my semi-skimmed tesco toilet loitering for a pint of full-fat hyde park corner please as my meeting has moved date.

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects
The web site states this is a super-speedy ride and email says not-so-super speedy - which is it? Not sure the MTB is up to a super-speedy! What's the closing date for joining this one?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
as far as I can now tell, super-speedy means no big break in the middle, less stops to gather, and having a general air of 'press on and devil take the laggards.'

TimO

Guru
... unless it's the Harwich ride (or similar), where there is a ferry ride in the middle, and we can't be late, since it's been specially arranged just for us.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
So what is riding speed expected to be down to Emsworth?

TimO

Guru
Well, dellzeqq has between 77 and 82 miles as the total distance. Assuming we "use up" an hour and a half doing stuff other than cycling, and we expect to get there at 8am, that would be 12.6 mph. In practice the moving speed is likely to be slightly higher most of the time, because inevitably there will be some regrouping, hills which are significantly slower, and probably the odd mechanical (although since you tend to get less novice cyclists on the speedier rides, there do seem to be slightly less issues. <fx> wanders off to sacrifice a tyre to the Fairy </fx>).

Arriving later, or having fewer and faster stops, will obviously allow the average speed to be lower. For example, it we only spent 45 minutes not cycling, arrived at 9pm, and did the shorter 77 miles distance, the average drops to 9.3 mph.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
[pedant]
Arriving at 9pm the riding speed is significantly slower than 9.3mph!
[/pedant]

Interesting.... I am pondering. With half a mind on Maundy Thursday being impossible and Southend clashing with our desire to get a three-day ride in. But I've just realised I've got my dates wrong, and Whitstable on the 1st June is feasible.

TimO

Guru
OK, maybe not 9pm, but you get the general idea!

Whilst these rides are clearly aren't going to be as slow as a more typical FNRttC, they also aren't outrageously fast. You probably don't want to choose one of the speedier FNRttCs as your debut to night riding, but if you've done a couple of FNRttCs before, and are comfortable going a bit faster, I don't think a ride likes this is going to be out of your range (and of course there are other ways of being familiar with riding throughout the night, without having ever done a FNRttC).

Top Bottom