FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Emsworth 20th April

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
77 miles. Or maybe more. Kingston, Esher, Cobham, Holmbury St. Mary (hill alert), Rowhook, Tesco's at Broadbridge Heath for a splash and dash, and then down Stane Street to Bury Hill (eek!), which, once happily surmounted, will lead us nicely on to Chichester.

If we've got time we'll take a wander round Bosham, and then make our way west to Emsworth for brekky. The Bosham Variation will add about five miles.

This will be a toughish ride, but very rewarding. You'll know all about the North Downs, although the White Down descent makes Reigate Hill look like kid's stuff. I don't think we've ever had a crack at the High Weald before, and Bury Hill is a bit of a monster. Stane Street is a wonderful road to ride, though, and the last fifteen or twenty miles will be pan flat.

http://ridewithgps.com/routes/1021051

Stuart A
Rachael Y
David R
Susie F

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Might I suggest that if the Bosham Variation is not in operation, we do not take the A259 between Chi and Emsworth? That road's fine and dandy between Fishbourne and the Bosham roundabout, but going west of there it's increasingly a delightful mix of potholes, loose chippings, manhole covers etc in the marked cycle lane, and that special brand of buzzy tarmac that many British road builders seem to excel in. Not to mention drivers who feel obliged to pass comment if you dare to use the (slightly less appalling) road rather than said lane. The road through East Ashling, Funtingdon, etc is a bit more rolling (no, I do not mean hilly) but a lot more pleasant to ride on overall.

Might I suggest that if the Bosham Variation is not in operation, we do not take the A259 between Chi and Emsworth? That road's fine and dandy between Fishbourne and the Bosham roundabout, but going west of there it's increasingly a delightful mix of potholes, loose chippings, manhole covers etc in the marked cycle lane, and that special brand of buzzy tarmac that many British road builders seem to excel in. Not to mention drivers who feel obliged to pass comment if you dare to use the (slightly less appalling) road rather than said lane. The road through East Ashling, Funtingdon, etc is a bit more rolling (no, I do not mean hilly) but a lot more pleasant to ride on overall.
Is this a pre-emptive strike in case there's an 'off', Stu? ;)
Nice ride out and back - particularly if the return hits the Elysian fields of Lurgeshall, Surrey Hills et al on the way back, although the direct blast of A29, A24 was fine too.(Mikee's Help for Heroes ride where my handlebars fractured - not too long after going down Bury Hill 'quite quickly':ohmy:)

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Measured in Ditchlings, how tough is this Bury Hill then?

Seriously? easy for you mate...

Edit: you did it on last years Bognor run when the off road had to be ditched...

Sittingduck

Legendary Member
What are the trains like back from Emsworth? I see a direct one to CLJ every hour, on the hour... much chance of fitting loads of bikes on, does anybody know? I see it calls at Gatwick...

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
RE the trains: Emsworth is on the Portsmouth-Havant-Chichester-Horsham-Victoria line. Trains to the smoke are one an hour and just over a tenner single with railcard. Faster, more frequent services, but more expensive (just under £19 single with railcard) via Havant into Waterloo (Havant station's only 2.5 miles from the cafe). SWT's rolling stock is a better bet to get lots of bikes on than Southern- the trains are four carriage with one set of bike spaces until Horsham, SWT's Portsmouth line services all have at least two carriages with bike spaces (never had a problem finding room).

U

User482

West bound cyclists: there's no Portsmouth to cardiff train due to engineering works. You can go via reading instead.

Top Bottom