FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Felpham near Bognor 22nd April 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Easy answer Jez: do both :smile: Brighton's shorter, but depending on route can be lumpier, even without the Beacon. Bognor's longer, more rolling, plus the off-road bit (easier for weaker riders than the alternatives). Scenery probably nicer overall.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Hello I have a quick question - I would like to do this (especially as it would be good training for my charity ride in early May) but friends would rather do the 'proper' Brighton FNRTTC. Is this nicer/easier/more interesting? Basically is there any ammunition you can give me to convince them to do this over Brighton? Or are they right?
I don't know what you mean by 'proper' (although the 'genteel' ride is very proper) but I'd suggest you do the both

Bognor is fourteen miles longer and faster. The route is very pretty, and the destination is sweet, although it's a different thing entirely from the business of Madeira Drive in Brighton. Bognor has a bit of off-road, which is fun, but tiring.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I could, but they won't!
honestly Jezston, do what you want to do and let your mates make their own minds up. Persuading people to do a night ride is never, ever a smart move. If they have to be persuaded then this might not be their kind of thing.

Oh - I'm not sure the FNRttC is a training ride. A happening on wheels might be a better description. If RichP brings his crisp packet then none of us are going to get any healthier.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
What's this off road business??? I assume 23s will be able to cope with this? :ohmy:
it's your legs I worry, about!

Yes. And, actually, you walk most of it anyway. Passing your bike over three or four stiles is a bit tiring, but it's a lovely diversion, and it does cut out the South Downs.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Adam B
Adamski
Adrian C
Andrew B
Bridget M
Charlie B
Charlotte B
Chris Br
Claudine C
Clive B
Dan B
Des O'D
Edmar G
Gina B
Grahame D
Ian S
James G
Jo T
Jocelyn CS
John E
John Em
John R
Julian N
User10571 B
Lisa C
Louise L
Luke C
Marilyn B
Mark A
Mark Co
Martin B
Martin B
Martin F
Martin T
Mick D
Nigel C
Nigel C2
Paul C
Paul Ri
Paul Ro
Peter L
Rebecca O-B
Rebecca T
Rich P (the Comeback Kid)
Richard C
Simon A
Simon B
Sonia W
Steve D
Stuart A
Stuart G

Susie F
Thom F
Titus H
Will T
Simon W
Peter W
Alex B
Matt L
Ian A
Jules H

the non-CTC places are filled....

Jezston

Über Member
Ok am erring to doing both! Just wanted to check - getting back - might I expect any problems with bike on the trains when there may be up to 2 changes to make to get back?

EDIT
the non-CTC places are filled....
Ah, as a non CTC member does this mean I'm too late?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Ok am erring to doing both! Just wanted to check - getting back - might I expect any problems with bike on the trains when there may be up to 2 changes to make to get back?

EDIT

Ah, as a non CTC member does this mean I'm too late?
it means that you're going to have to become an affiliate member through The Fridays, which gets you 3rd party insurance up to 29th Feb 2012 and Cycle Clips in your inbox.

And I'll take a quid off you for the Fridays membership, but I was going to do that anyway (cue Richie Rich emoticon)!!!

The train service from Bognor (1.5 miles from our destination) is not what it was last year - there are no direct trains on Saturday morning. You have to change at Barnham. You can go to Littlehampton (6 miles from our destination) for direct trains.

Two B or not two B, that is the question
Whether 'tis knobblier on the wheel to suffer
The slings and arrows of outrageous name calling
Or to take armwarmers against a sea of troubles,
And by opposing end them? To ride: to not sleep;

Top Bottom