FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - London to Brighton - 13th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

AHCyclist

Friday 13th September will be unlucky for those who don't turn up to participate in the evergreen route of London to Brighton.

All the details including the sign up form can be found on the website here.

Adrian will be leading. I'll be around, possibly near the back, possibly near the front.
Hi there,
I’ve signed up and am looking forward to my first FNRTTC.
:-)
Friday 13th September will be unlucky for those who don't turn up to participate in the evergreen route of London to Brighton.

All the details including the sign up form can be found on the website here.

Adrian will be leading. I'll be around, possibly near the back, possibly near the front.

hatler

Guru
I'm already registered.

I've finally managed to persuade at least one, and possibly two, colleagues to join us and, best of all, mini-hatler is looking to be a likely runner. If mini does join us I'd like to excuse myself from whole-ride TEC duties if that's allowed.
Mini has confirmed and has registered. Woo hoo !

johnCM

When a man is tired of riding from London to Brighton, he is tired of life. With apologies to Dr Johnson.

Looking forward to it.

hatler

Guru
Forecast looking dry and mild with a tiny tailwind at the moment. And Saturday on the front should be sunny.

hatler

Guru
Heads up. Mini is down at the 'van near Ditchling and has just reported that Ditchling Beacon is closed until Sunday. I'm trying to find out more.

For a fun (FCO 'fun') there's an alternative way up - Streat Bostall at the south end of Streat Lane. It's tarmacced and not quite as big a climb as Ditchling - but it's steeper and the surface is pretty crap. We'd then have a comedy off road mile along the South Downs Way to the top of Ditchling Beacon. I've done this quite a few times on my road bike - it's perfectly doable.

hatler

Guru
Latest update : -

"Looks like road works, closed this morning at 8 and opens again Sunday".

It might well be walkable past the critical bit, I'll ask him to check.

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
I am looking forward to it, with a soupçon of nervousness regarding the Up but mostly the Down. We don't get much of either round here. Rubbish road surface I'm used to (just been reading @Mr Orange ride report from last year). May be at the back being a wuss.

A question: is a Proper lock needed or café lock sufficient? It's a kilo less to lug up hill but 12kg less to ride on if Bertie gets pinched.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
I am looking forward to it, with a soupçon of nervousness regarding the Up but mostly the Down. We don't get much of either round here. Rubbish road surface I'm used to (just been reading @Mr Orange ride report from last year). May be at the back being a wuss.

A question: is a Proper lock needed or café lock sufficient? It's a kilo less to lug up hill but 12kg less to ride on if Bertie gets pinched.
Cafe lock should be fine. People will keep an eye on the bikes.

Outlaw Hobbs

Signed up. Starting to feel like a veteran now having participated in more of these than I can easily remember.
However this will be a little different for two reasons.
Firstly, none of my usual companions can make it (well -that's what they say but maybe they are bored with my company).
Secondly I am planning to be riding my restored pre-war Hobbs that my late father rode on the Herne Hill track, in time trials and on weekend rides to Brighton so this is very much a sentimental journey.
Purists won't approve of the restoration since it is really only the frame that is original but I've had it professionally painted with addition of reproduction period-correct decals and used modern components but with a period look where possible.
Have a few mods to finish before Friday including adding some retro looking bars, upgraded (Jagwire) cables and fancy brake blocks. I've already added some 28mm tyres hoping for a soft plush compliant ride.
It is not particularly light at 3 kilos more than my usual touring bike and almost twice the weight of my race bikes so Ditchling may be fun although the rear cassette has a 32 as opposed to my usual 28 to ease the pain.

mmmmartin

Random geezer
a soupçon of nervousness regarding the Up
Ditchling is an odd hill, in that it isn't really a hill in parts. It was designed for horses to pull carts up so the angle of upness changes regularly. So for a 50 metre section it's steeper then for the next 50 metres it eases slightly, and repeats this regularly. When you can see the horses triangular sign on the left you're just about there.
Turner's Hill seems longer but doesn't have the shorter steeper bits.
(Be warned, @LucretiaMyReflection that it's worth trying to hurtle down the hill into Brighton to try to set off the speed camera. This is an ancient Fridays' tradition.)
I'd like to be with you but Real Life intervened.

Top Bottom