FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - London to Brighton - 13th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

rb58

Enigma
Another word of warning. If we are taking the standard Fridays' route after Ditchling past the golf course - Ditchling isn't the last ascent. That caught me out the first time I was towing mini.
Agreed. That little kick past the golf course can bite. I can’t join you this year, but last year I scored a bullseye with the speed camera on the way into town. No pressure.

Redlight

Wrenched my back moving some stuff yesterday and have been hobbling around like Quasimodo all day. Was seriously contemplating bailing until I had a look at the weather forecast for tomorrow night. Could be the perfect overnighter!

robjh

Legendary Member
Not looking bad for tonight - this is the Met Office forecast for Crawley, so about half-way.
upload_2019-9-13_9-29-59.png

Still, those 9 degrees are bound to feel colder so I'll be packing some good layers.
Then it gets up to 19 degrees by midday, so ideal for the ride home too!

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
Yay! Non-registration due to ill health last and earlier this week - allowed in at the last minute.
It's fine: Wide road, good sight-lines, not steep, nothing slippery. Even on a Brompton there wouldn't be any drama.

Again, the descent after Turners Hill is more of an issue, as there's some twisty stuff and it'll be dark. People will be taking it slowly. No idea what the current pothole situation is (it's ages since I've done the Brighton ride), but historically there have been a couple of nasty ones.

Anyway, given that my Achilles rebelled after King's Lynn (literally, the pain kicked in when I got off the train at Mordor Central), I'm pulling out of this in order to save it for next week's silly bike racing. Something about riding at other people's pace seems to exacerbate it, and standing around doesn't help. Have a good ride everyone!
Ouch. Take it easy - you know it makes sense, K.

kimble

Veteran
Yay! Non-registration due to ill health last and earlier this week - allowed in at the last minute.

:thumbsup:

Ouch. Take it easy - you know it makes sense, K.

Makes sense until you look at the BHPC championship table, anyway. It'd be rude not to make a proper effort at this point...

Work in progress to solve my femur-length discrepancy the proper way, by expensively asymmetric crank length, so I can shove my cleats back a bit and hopefully put an end to this Achilles nonsense.

Redlight

Wrenched my back moving some stuff yesterday and have been hobbling around like Quasimodo all day. Was seriously contemplating bailing until I had a look at the weather forecast for tomorrow night. Could be the perfect overnighter!

And... I'm out, I'm afraid. Tried a massage this morning and resting up during the afternoon and I still can't even lift the bike to do the tyre check without wincing. I'm so p----d off as this is the second ride I've had to bail on this year.

Hope you all have a gorgeous night. Watch out for the micro moon :-)

LucretiaMyReflection

Über Member
I've packed layers...this time I might not wait until I'm freezing to use them! :laugh:

Outlaw Hobbs

Phew. Last minute technical hitch with rear brake inexplicably failing to fully release finally solved . Seems to have been over-complicated compression housing end fitting catching the inner. Modified with trusty Stanley blade . Hope to see everyone later.

Top Bottom