FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast Manchester to Blackpool 15th April 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
This isn't a call for registrations - with the LCC playing hard to get to the phone I'm still not sure of the arrangements - but more an outline of the ride and and to tell you that Adrian has brought it to my attention that railway tickets for this weekend are now being sold.

The ride will leave Manchester Town Hall at midnight on the 15th of April. You can see a rough outline of the route here.. http://3.bp.blogspot.com/_G4j9YmEAZsw/TTNmMonQFpI/AAAAAAAAAoA/AZL87p_hkyU/s1600/Slide13.PNG .

I intend taking the A56 up to Bury, then cutting northwest on to Watling Street, a Roman Road that has its 1 in 7 moments, both up and down - at one point we go about 1000 feet above sea level. This takes us to Blackburn. I then intend to go north to cross the River Ribble and go in to Ribchester, where we'll stop for coffee and cake. The first half of the ride is a fraction under 30 miles, which, given that we'll go at the speed of the slowest, and that there will be some walking, may take us over three hours. If the weather is dreadful we'll cut west to Turton Bottoms (ooh, Missus!) and take the A666 road to Blackburn. This will take a bit of recce'ing, because Birches Road is not tarmac'ed.

The second half of the ride is, judged by the map, pretty benign. Twenty five miles of B road that gets flatter and flatter until we reach the sea at Blackpool.

I'll be catching the 21.00 up to Manchester, and leaving Blackpool on the 8.45, catching connections at Manchester Piccadilly and Birmingham Snow Hill. The return journey is a lot cheaper if you go via Birmingham. If you're buying tickets from Birmingham back to London I'd avoid the slightly cheaper efforts from New Street via London Midland - I couldn't reserve a bike on these. Chiltern operates a turn up and we'll be happy to see you policy from Snow Hill.

I'll be doing at least two recce rides. The first will be a daytime effort. I'll be arriving at Manchester Piccadilly at 11.07 on Monday March 28th and setting off for Ribchester pretty much straight away. The second will be a night time one, arriving at Manchester Piccadilly at 23.11 on April 1st and, after hanging around a bit, I'll set off for Blackpool from the Town Hall a little after midnight.

On 15th April the 21.00 from Euston gets in to Manchester Piccadilly at 23.11. There is a later train, leaving Euston at 21.40 and arriving at 23.46. There's still bike tickets for both of these trains, but if you miss them it might be more economical to take the 18.40, 18.20, 18.00 or 17.40 which still have cheapish tickets. There are trains in abundance from Birmingham, and, of course, from Sheffield.

So that, for now, is about it. If you fancy joining me on the daytime or nighttime recce rides, speak up!

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Am quite keen one of the recce rides, but I may not come all the way home, will let you know...

redjedi

Über Member
I hope I can make this one after missing the Hull one last year.

icon_twisted.gif
I've been having mischievous thoughts about only getting the train as far as Chesterfield/Sheffield (saving about £10 on the ticket) and riding over the Peaks
whistling.gif

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
How quick are the recce rides?

I'd probably be up for the night one but I think I'm a bit slow for you

Oh and thanks for the note about the tickets.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Definitely fancy this one, if it's half as special as Cleethorpes was it'll be worth the trip. Train fare's not too bad- as low as £17.50 (via Southampton & arriving 2346), or £23.50 (2100 from Euston). Those fares are straight from Pompey, so might well be cheaper and more flexible to get a ticket from London. Have to wait until next week when (hopefully) I'll have got the leave sorted out, for this one and the 'That's Lovely' to Swansea.

Wobblers

Euthermic
I'll be catching the 21.00 up to Manchester, and leaving Blackpool on the 8.45, catching connections at Manchester Piccadilly and Birmingham Snow Hill. The return journey is a lot cheaper if you go via Birmingham. If you're buying tickets from Birmingham back to London I'd avoid the slightly cheaper efforts from New Street via London Midland - I couldn't reserve a bike on these. Chiltern operates a turn up and we'll be happy to see you policy from Snow Hill.

Ah, Chiltern: I tend to use them because they don't insist on bike reservations - it's much less hassle! But for anyone planning on catching one of their trains it's worthwhile noting that they have an official policy of not taking bikes during the peak rush hour: 4:30 to 8 pm, IIRC. I don't know how rigidly this is enforced during the week, but I haven't had any problems during the weekend (their blurb doesn't make it clear whether this is just a weekday thing or not...). You can get single fares for £5 if you book a few days in advance.

I'd love to do the daytime recce ride but will most likely be working (it's not all lazing about doing a PhD, sadly!). The night recce sounds interesting, I'd probably be up for that... especially if you need some waymarking done!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I don't intend to hammer along on the recce rides, but take heed - there could be a lot of hanging around at junctions while I work out where to stop the front of the ride or post wayfinders. There might even be some messing about in towns trying to find the best way through. And I tend to talk through my worries about the ride which can, I'm sure, be a bit dull.

Sounds delightful - but rather lumpy, so I think you're probably safe from CrinklyCake on this one!

fossyant

Ride It Like You Stole It!
Damn, damn and damn. I'll have my arm in a sling for the reccy's and won't be up for riding by the 15th April, argh. If I was doing it, I'd ride there and back.

Ave a good 'un.

iLB

Hello there
might be able to join you for the first recce ride, as a warm up for the tour of flanders sportive i'll be doing the following weekend. will let you know nearer the time though.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Damn, damn and damn. I'll have my arm in a sling for the reccy's and won't be up for riding by the 15th April, argh. If I was doing it, I'd ride there and back.

Ave a good 'un.
I'm sorry to hear that.

If it's any consolation I'm getting some local help, and we're trying to set up a York to Hull ride on September 9th. Would that be within reach?

Top Bottom