FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast, Manchester to Morecambe 1st August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Even if I say that they're long steady hills* and it's only 65 miles** ? :thumbsup:

*Mostly accurate.
** Completely accurate.

saoirse50

Veteran
I have sent an email off saying I'd like to do this....combined with a trip to friends somewhere up there earlier in the week....which could be ill advised as I arranged similar for the Hull ride and then all those plans went pear shaped...but this time it would still be possible for me to do the ride even if friends pull out of the arrangement at the last minute. I am only coming up two days earlier and could probably bring the teeny tent and camp for a couple of nights if circumstances mean they can't put me up after all as happened before. I will prepare for that eventuality and have back up plan in place. If it does happen again, my friends are probably trying to tell me something! Anyway, tickets are booked, so with luck, I will make this one.
PS I absolutely hate long steady hills...TMN, you and I could crawl up them together.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
The ride is not that hilly. I've done the Manchester to Blackpool ride back in 2011 (which I think follows the similar route in the first, undulating part) on a 6 speed Brompton. Back then, I was significantly less fit than I am today, but it still was absolutely ok. There are some climbs, and the total elevation gain might be bigger than on the Brighton FNRttC, but no single hill is half as bad as Ditchling Beacon.

@mcshroom : How long does it take you to recover? Again, get well soon - I hope it's not that painful....

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
Not that Painful @redfalo, but the physio assessed my shoulder movement as 'virtually nil' this afternoon, and her estimate was at least 6 weeks and possibly 12 weeks before the arm is back to being reasonably normal. Longer to get back to full strength :sad:

redfalo

Oh dear, I can still feel your misery, @mcshroom . 22 years ago, I managed to break a bone in my hand that turned out to be that one in the human body taking the longest time to heal (the scaphoid bone) I cracked it while dancing pogo on the school yard, on a party celebrating the last day at school. A real nuisance: 12 weeks in plaster, 6 of that the entire arm. The only upside was that I started my civil service with 10 weeks of sick leave....

redfalo

BTW, I'll be on the 2100 train out of Euston , arriving Manchester Piccadilly 2311. For the return trip, I've booke the 1138 train from Lancaster, arriving London 1413.

I'm in. It's my local FNRttC and i'm pretty much back to normal distances after a recent off. The longer climbs are not steep (although there are a few short, steep bits!). Riding up Broadhead Rd puts you into a secluded valley with a nice road and, if the weather is good, a really good view of the night sky. It will be ace.

Top Bottom