FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast, Manchester to Morecambe 1st August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Eddie_C

Über Member
Ditto. Can't remember what return train I have.
I'm also on 2100 out (and 1038 back).

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
Your Northern correspondent here.

I did the reccy last night/this morning.
I hope we get weather like last night because it was fab although I still resorted to an LS top and full finger gloves after the stop at Blackburn McDonalds.
Even though I've done lots of night rides, it was a bit daunting setting off on my own 'cos it seemed a long way so I did the audax "trick" of breaking it down into bits: to Whitefield, to Bury etc.
It was tempting to christen this "The Three Towers" ride but neither Peel, Darwin nor Blackpool towers were lit up so it could be the "Transmitter" ride instead: Winter Hill TV mast and the masts above Oakenclough which are visible from miles away. If it's not raining. Which it won't.
Blackburn "yoof" in the McDonalds were very polite and the duty manager is pleased that 20 or so riders will be visiting next week.
Be aware that the "new" route (if DZ approves it) means that there is no 24hr Asda to call in although there is a 24hr garage just before Bury and the "half-way" stop is before the mid-point of the ride.
After I left the McDonalds, only two cars passed me in either direction (so a total of two) between the stop and the A6 near Scorton, a distance of about 35km.

I need to check some details with DZ and then I'll come back with more info

It's going to be great.

Pictures from Morecambe:-

14748696392_fa253ae2c6_c.jpg 14-07-26 FNRttC reccy Morecambe by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

14748999025_f0b1e8b969_c.jpg 14-07-26 FNRttC reccy Morecambe 2 by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

That's my new bike in the pictures.
I may have mentioned that I have a new bike :whistle:.

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Your Northern correspondent here.

I did the reccy last night/this morning.
I hope we get weather like last night because it was fab although I still resorted to an LS top and full finger gloves after the stop at Blackburn McDonalds.
Even though I've done lots of night rides, it was a bit daunting setting off on my own 'cos it seemed a long way so I did the audax "trick" of breaking it down into bits: to Whitefield, to Bury etc.
It was tempting to christen this "The Three Towers" ride but neither Peel, Darwin nor Blackpool towers were lit up so it could be the "Transmitter" ride instead: Winter Hill TV mast and the masts above Oakenclough which are visible from miles away. If it's not raining. Which it won't.
Blackburn "yoof" in the McDonalds were very polite and the duty manager is pleased that 20 or so riders will be visiting next week.
Be aware that the "new" route (if DZ approves it) means that there is no 24hr Asda to call in although there is a 24hr garage just before Bury and the "half-way" stop is before the mid-point of the ride.
After I left the McDonalds, only two cars passed me in either direction (so a total of two) between the stop and the A6 near Scorton, a distance of about 35km.

I need to check some details with DZ and then I'll come back with more info

It's going to be great.

Pictures from Morecambe:-

14748696392_fa253ae2c6_c.jpg 14-07-26 FNRttC reccy Morecambe by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

14748999025_f0b1e8b969_c.jpg 14-07-26 FNRttC reccy Morecambe 2 by Chocolatebike1, on Flickr

That's my new bike in the pictures.
I may have mentioned that I have a new bike :whistle:.

What's that Andrew, you have a new bike? :smile:

This one remains on the rides to do list....no leave to spare unfortunately.

Your Northern correspondent here...

...That's my new bike in the pictures.
I may have mentioned that I have a new bike :whistle:..
You got a new bike then? This is my new one. Will be using my steel Hewitt for the ride though as I'm carrying on to Kendal before returning via the Trough of Bowland so I need some luggage carrying ability and my dynolight. Looking forward to it. I might join you from Prestwich though as I'm busy till the evening and l need my beauty sleep.

10477406_10152198960901186_3543372168390875167_n.jpg

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
What's that Andrew, you have a new bike? :smile:

This one remains on the rides to do list....no leave to spare unfortunately.

Yes, new bike.
Did I mention it ?

You'd love this ride Stu, it's hilly.
Way too hilly for me really.

You got a new bike then? This is my new one. Will be using my steel Hewitt for the ride though as I'm carrying on to Kendal before returning via the Trough of Bowland so I need some luggage carrying ability and my dynolight. Looking forward to it. I might join you from Prestwich though as I'm busy till the evening and l need my beauty sleep.

What is it MAC ?
It looks great.

If you slept from now until the ride, that would not be long enough to sort that problem out Darrell! :smile:

wanda2010

Guru
Finally found my tickets - buried under piles of papers. Am on the 2100 out and on the 12.57 back from Lancaster. What? Really? Why did I do that? :ohmy:

Edit: Now booked on the 1038. In First Class :whistle:

Last edited:

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I'm returning on the 13.25. What ? Really ? Why did I do that ?:ohmy:
So I could have a 2nd (and 3rd) drink with wanda, that's why :cheers:.
Sigh, it'll just be me and all the shoppers in Lancaster then :stop:.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
I reckon Andrew should have a new bike for this ride.....:becool:

I'm arriving at Dickapilly at 1035 'cause the later,nearer to midnight trains are full of bloody :bicycle: having snaffled the bike reservations.:biggrin:

I think I'll be using the steel Longstaff in preference to the plastic Trek 'cause it has a lower gear range for the hills & Marathon + which are more durable than the slicks on the Trek:tongue:lus the Longstaff has dynomo front light.

Andrew's comment ref long sleeved gloves:tongue: reminds me to do likewise but without all the j.i.c. crap that I'm often tempted to lug around.Therefore the Barley will be needed.

I'm being met at Morecombe by SWIMR & being chaffuered home after spending the day in town.There is a particular swcond hand bookshop that we want to go to & a "last century" bike shop that is an alladin's cave of retro stuff.

redfalo

known as Olaf in real life
It's a crash replacement. A Scott Foil 15 with Ultegra Di2. 7.4 kg with pedals. Quite stiff but very responsive. A fair weather beast for me. Not really practical in an everyday kind of way but lots and lots of fun.

Oh, I thought it was your third Enigma.

Thanks for your reccee effort, good work! Can you make the GPX track available?

wanda2010

Guru
@Andrew Br Sorry hun. It turns out changing my travel time is a good thing as my niece is picking up her bike that afternoon and wants 'mad aunty' to tag along. Hopefully she'll throw in a strong coffee/Guinness to sweeten the deal ^_^.

alans

black belt lounge lizard
The Longstaff is ready.
Refer to the fettling thread
ETA the Barley is packed:blush:'m most likely going to wear spd sandals.
I wonder if I could grow a beard in time?^_^

Top Bottom