FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast, Manchester to Morecambe 1st August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Breakfast at Morecambe.
Wise move.

wanda2010

Guru
A small group made for a fast ride, or it felt that way to me. The hills weren't as painful as I expected them to be and it was nice to see Eric Morecambe. We were well looked after by the staff where we had brekkie and the food and drink was so very welcome. A Garmin might have been needed to find the 'facilities'. Thankfully, no-one got lost :laugh:

Thanks to MacD's for not raising an eyebrow when we turned up and dripped over the floor. As is traditional, the hand dryers were pressed into service. Turning one section of the restaurant into a workshop was a good idea :thumbsup:. Two certain someones travelled (for a few hours in one instance) to say 'hi' to us. Well done you. Hope to see you on a ride in the future.

Virgin's First Class section was a worthwhile investment on the return.

And so to bed. I have two pics I'll try to upload when I'm rested and the brain commences operation.

Thanks @Andrew Br. Please to tell the lovely lady her presence is required BEFORE the next Tour :hello:

Last edited:

Siclo

Veteran
Hi

As most of you are aware this ride ended for one member, alans, in Bury. That rider was my dad.

The family would like to thank everyone involved in rendering assistance to dad, of particular note are Darrel and Mark for their first aid and Simon and Suzy for sorting out his bike.

We will always draw comfort from the fact dad died doing what he loved in the company of people who shared his passion. The Friday rides were one of dads favourite events and always bought him pleasure.

Funeral details will be made available for anyone wishing to attend, cycling kit will be allowed as it'll be what dad will be wearing.

Thanks
Simon

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Hi

As most of you are aware this ride ended for one member, alans, in Bury. That rider was my dad.

The family would like to thank everyone involved in rendering assistance to dad, of particular note are Darrel and Mark for their first aid and Simon and Suzy for sorting out his bike.

We will always draw comfort from the fact dad died doing what he loved in the company of people who shared his passion. The Friday rides were one of dads favourite events and always bought him pleasure.

Funeral details will be made available for anyone wishing to attend, cycling kit will be allowed as it'll be what dad will be wearing.

Thanks
Simon
I wasn't on the ride, so this was the first I heard of this very sad news. My condolences to you and yours. RIP Alan.

mcshroom

Bionic Subsonic
For those who haven't heard the news before. Alan was not involved in a collision/crash.

I have known Alan for a good few years, and have had the honour of his company on numerous occasions, most memorably on a number of Audaxes where Alan's stories and general upbeat nature meant the miles slipped by almost unnoticed. Very sad news and I, and many others here and YACF will miss a genuinely nice guy. RIP Alan and best wishes to Marj and Si_Co :sad:

Shaun

Founder
How sad. RIP Alan. My condolences to you and your family SImon.

Agent Hilda

The Babe
It was our 18th yesterday, we are starting our 19th year feeling very sad, but somehow looking at you all on Friday night and how serious and grown up and caring you all were makes it a little better.
You are the People.
You are good good people
Lots of love and kisses from
Agent H x

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I apologise for not writing about this before now, but I thought that if I had things to say it should be to the family in the first instance, and, in particular, to Marj, his wife of 42 years. One's heart goes out to her. She, Simon, Alan's daughter and grandchildren have been denied what might well have been the best years of his life by this cruel and untimely tragedy.

Marj was so dignified on Saturday morning. She and Simon, who has been an absolute tower of strength, have humbled the rest of us.

What happened was this. We'd ridden ten miles from Manchester to Bury in about an hour, and stopped because Alan said that he wanted a bite to eat. He sat down in a bus shelter for five minutes or so, then got up and we made to set off, but, as we did so, Susie discovered she had a puncture, so we spent five minutes or so fixing that. As we were about to set off again Alan collapsed.

By sheer fluke, expert help, in the shape of Mark and Darrell, two club members, was at hand, and efforts were made to revive Alan. We called the ambulance, which arrived in next to no time, and they asked Mark and Darrell to continue, but, after a few minutes more they decided to take him in to the ambulance, where they continued to try to revive him for another fifteen minutes.

Alan lost consciousness very quickly - possibly instantly. He didn't suffer in any protracted way.

For our part there was no panic or commotion, just serious concern that gave way to great sadness.

Alan was treated with respect - CPR is necessarily an active process, but it was done without drama. When he was placed on to the ambulance trolley, he was lifted with gentleness - he wasn't pushed or pulled around. No death is entirely dignified, but this was as dignified as one can imagine.

It may be some small comfort to his family to know that everything that could have been done to try and save him was done.

Andrew and I rode with Simon and Emily, one of Alan's granddaughters, from Manchester to Bury last night. It was a sad, sad journey. Emily laid flowers. There wasn't much to say, but I did tell Emily that Alan had set the bar for grandads very high, and it was up to the rest of us to try and come somewhere close.

Some of you will recall Alan riding a tandem from Manchester to Blackpool in 2011 with Emily as stoker - she was twelve at the time. It was a great pleasure to meet them, not least because he was so very, very happy to be taking Emily on an adventure. They received a round of applause at the top of one of the steep hills just a few miles north of Bury, not because of their athletic endeavour (which was impressive enough) but because Alan was clearly making such an effort to make Emily's night out memorable, and, in doing so, making our night out just as memorable.

Those who knew him best will write their appreciations. All I can say is that he was a nice man, a man who saw the good in things and a man who made life brighter for those around him. He'll be greatly missed.

Last edited:

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Simon, Marj and all Alan's family and friends - my condolences. Sudden bereavements are never nice, but I hope you have good memories. Simon L's words are very fine.

Simon and Susie, Mark, Andrew, Olaf and all my friends who were on the ride - my thoughts have been with you for the last few days. It sounds like you all acted in the best possible way, as befits the finest cycling club in the world. I'll see many of you next week.

Top Bottom