FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast, Manchester to Morecambe 1st August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

skudupnorth

Cycling Skoda lover
RIP, really sad news

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Some of you will recall Alan riding a tandem from Manchester to Blackpool in 2011 with Emily as stoker - she was twelve at the time. It was a great pleasure to meet them, not least because he was so very, very happy to be taking Emily on an adventure. They received a round of applause at the top of one of the steep hills just a few miles north of Bury, not because of their athletic endeavour (which was impressive enough) but because Alan was clearly making such an effort to make Emily's night out memorable, and, in doing so, making our night out just as memorable.

Until I read this I hadn't quite matched the name to the rider. Great ride, of which the tandem performance was the highlight.

Siclo

Veteran
Thank you for the words Simon and thanks Andrew guiding us up to Bury.

I greatly appreciate the effort you both made to shepherd us up there since I think my road craft was little below par, and your serious but lighthearted manner with Emily was spot on, I think this may have helped her to recall all the good rides.

Andrew Br

Still part of the team !
I was glad that I could ride there with you and Emily Simon, I hope that you got what you wanted out of the ride.
Alan would, I'm sure, have approved that his flowers were carried strapped to a Carradice.
SimonL was the star when it came to talking to Emily. I'm rubbish with teenagers, my nieces and nephews tell me so.

FWIW, your riding skills were beyond reproach; I noticed that every time I needed to move out, you'd anticipated it and had made space for me to move into.
I'd ride with you any time.

U

User10571

I apologise for not writing about this before now, but I thought that if I had things to say it should be to the family in the first instance, and, in particular, to Marj, his wife of 42 years. One's heart goes out to her. She, Simon, Alan's daughter and grandchildren have been denied what might well have been the best years of his life by this cruel and untimely tragedy.

Marj was so dignified on Saturday morning. She and Simon, who has been an absolute tower of strength, have humbled the rest of us.

What happened was this. We'd ridden ten miles from Manchester to Bury in about an hour, and stopped because Alan said that he wanted a bite to eat. He sat down in a bus shelter for five minutes or so, then got up and we made to set off, but, as we did so, Susie discovered she had a puncture, so we spent five minutes or so fixing that. As we were about to set off again Alan collapsed.

By sheer fluke, expert help, in the shape of Mark and Darrell, two club members, was at hand, and efforts were made to revive Alan. We called the ambulance, which arrived in next to no time, and they asked Mark and Darrell to continue, but, after a few minutes more they decided to take him in to the ambulance, where they continued to try to revive him for another fifteen minutes.

Alan lost consciousness very quickly - possibly instantly. He didn't suffer in any protracted way.

For our part there was no panic or commotion, just serious concern that gave way to great sadness.

Alan was treated with respect - CPR is necessarily an active process, but it was done without drama. When he was placed on to the ambulance trolley, he was lifted with gentleness - he wasn't pushed or pulled around. No death is entirely dignified, but this was as dignified as one can imagine.

It may be some small comfort to his family to know that everything that could have been done to try and save him was done.

Andrew and I rode with Simon and Emily, one of Alan's granddaughters, from Manchester to Bury last night. It was a sad, sad journey. Emily laid flowers. There wasn't much to say, but I did tell Emily that Alan had set the bar for grandads very high, and it was up to the rest of us to try and come somewhere close.

Some of you will recall Alan riding a tandem from Manchester to Blackpool in 2011 with Emily as stoker - she was twelve at the time. It was a great pleasure to meet them, not least because he was so very, very happy to be taking Emily on an adventure. They received a round of applause at the top of one of the steep hills just a few miles north of Bury, not because of their athletic endeavour (which was impressive enough) but because Alan was clearly making such an effort to make Emily's night out memorable, and, in doing so, making our night out just as memorable.

Those who knew him best will write their appreciations. All I can say is that he was a nice man, a man who saw the good in things and a man who made life brighter for those around him. He'll be greatly missed.

Simon, it is no great secret that you have a way with words.
It has taken me a few days to digest, but I find that^ one of the most moving posts I have ever read.
My thoughts remain with Marj, Si_Co and all those dear to Alan

Sara_H

Guru
Condolences to Alan's loved ones. He sounds like a fine man who will be much missed.

nickyboy

Norven Mankey
I never knew Alan, in fact I have never ridden a FNRttC but felt somewhat compelled to write. The reason is my Dad died in very similar circumstances a couple of years ago. Out with his cycling mates in High Bentham (sort of between N Lancs and N Yorks) on a beautiful Spring morning. Hard slog up a big hill, heart attack. In all probability he had passed away before he hit the ground.

I do a lot of work in China and I was relaying this story to someone there. She said something quite poignant; In China there is a saying which goes something along the lines of "Only those who have lived a good and useful life get to pass away in a manner of their choosing". My Dad would have chosen this way. I hope the thought of this perhaps provides some comfort to Alan's family

MikeW-71

Veteran
Hi

As most of you are aware this ride ended for one member, alans, in Bury. That rider was my dad.

The family would like to thank everyone involved in rendering assistance to dad, of particular note are Darrel and Mark for their first aid and Simon and Suzy for sorting out his bike.

We will always draw comfort from the fact dad died doing what he loved in the company of people who shared his passion. The Friday rides were one of dads favourite events and always bought him pleasure.

Funeral details will be made available for anyone wishing to attend, cycling kit will be allowed as it'll be what dad will be wearing.

Thanks
Simon
Sorry that I've only just found this terrible news. My condolences to your family at this time.

Rest easy Alan.

Top Bottom