FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Southend-on-Sea 9th December

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

wanda2010

Guru
Hey Mice. Clearly you made it across town ok. I rode home slowly stopping twice: once to take off one layer and overshoes due overheating cos of the sunshine and the other time due to extreme tiredness.

Hope to meet you again.

I spent time in the company of some fine Slags yesterday.
Claudine was told to sit still and take her medicine like a man, which she duly did - in fact, none of us used glasses. The debrief was just that - brief - and the conversation turned to a bitchfest thankfully, with lots of useful contributions from the rolling cast. Some of them weren't rolling much, with User10571 'on piano', and The Home Office's Official Holiday Tester, MartinT. BigMat was decent enough to be waiting for us returnees and so the cycle chat began...
Simon, in the best traditions of the News of the World had made an excuse and left, homeward bound to play that new game "Hat In Bed" - particularly good if you feel a little peaky apparently.

Oh, the ride...
Anyway. I played at the back with Ian the Messiah and Ian, on his first Tour de Tec, from 'oop North'. (What is in the genes of these odd sounding people that they have to bimble about on their bikes with part of their flesh exposed - even when it is 'brisk'? I can only summise that it was originally in their Mum's genes once upon a time and they can't help it.) Also in the entourage was Davywalnuts.

<Cut to the courtroom scene>
"You, Mr Whipnuts, are accused of the unforgivable crime of hitting bulls, or words to that effect. How do you plead?"
"Mixed Nuts, M'Lud" he spat.
"Here's the evidence...err, Mr Nuts"
The first is a general observation that you make about your integrity and your behaviour (which were to become abundantly clear as the day in question developed.)
"Alas, am on a night out in Southend that night, so was meaning to start as to carry on...I would like to point out, I do not have drinking issues..."
14th November.

"You pleaded with my client to come along, and I quote:"
"Teef... please come... ill even buy beer as a first round..."
22nd November

Then there was a quite unnecessary and misleading elaboration:
"My new role finally involves me legitimately being last... and as Dell will say, I hope, I am a changed man. and I dare say it, we can fill up a rucksack on approach to Saffend with the necessaries.. now, I wonder who would offer to not only bring a rucksack big enough but would also let it be filled for the great of good?"
22nd November - later that day.

A further charge of negligence is also deemed right and proper following the following statement which followed the aforementioned disingenuous fripperies:
"Please, as Dell'sed many a times, please check tyres, I do get very cold waiting at the back for p*fairy fixes! Ta!"
18:28 Friday 9th december - the day in Question

So, Mr Nuts, we understand that you think you will be changing your ways. What have you to say to that?"
"Well, I might change my ways because there are roadworks on the A30 and it is a bit of a bumm....oh sorry ha ha! I see what you mean a ha ha!"
"Order in Court!" exclaimed the Judge.
"I'll have a pint..." Walnuts suggested - suddenly coming to life when someone else offered to order - or so he thought.

The session was adjourned (before it had started, actually.)
"All (take the) rise"
"no mate - it's "ALL UP!" - Davy just couldn't resist...
<Court was adjourned pending further reports>

wloemv.jpg

DW - only half the man he used to be.

Here's another quote, this time from our Night Nurse:
...By this time dawn was a burnt orange stain on the horizon...
34q46k6.jpg

It was nice to see the sunrise cracking open the grip of the early morning. Actually, later with User10571, we talked about the 'whistling rigging' which can be heard when traversing the section from Leigh on Sea. Two years ago it was amazing, and an eerie memory.

Ian, Mick and Stuart got the best seats near the window of The Rose Restaurant.
dlmk51.jpg

I wanted to 'take' a photo. Here the sun is defining festivity, with its lights and shades...
30227i8.jpg

On my way out of London, I happened to ride with Andrew, setting him loose on the Euston Road while I ducked around the back of Kings Cross. It's taking shape around there, and along with a nice little tree was this; take a look around if you get a chance - there are some nice viewpoints.
oavr7a.jpg

30di1w6.jpg

What did the ride teach me? (for there is always something to learn on a night ride)
Gentle Tim / DeckerTim is a yuppie of the first order, with gadgets bursting out of every pocket - the latest 'must haves' etc, and his bike is just an extension of his pockets - 'stuff' draped everywhere, flashing, bleeping or ready to scare the living daylights...(I'm beginning to think there is a gadget gene that is implanted in those lucky enough to be called 'Tim'. Think space rockets, think odd looking tandems, think yuppies who dish out sweeties from a tin outside Tescos in the middle of the night, hurredly hiding them when the Police wagon drew alongside...) Can't understand why the Tully family are not all 'nutritional overachievers' as Mummy Tully makes good with the cakery. Groupsave is the Way To Go <Mantra alert> The best seats inside LMNH are along the end wall. we end up with our own 'private' WC - which we ocassionally lend to others, who have ridden their laptops to 49 Old St aspiring to partake of the ambience therein.
Thank you all for your company and, shall we have a photo thread on here, showing ourselves? - I'm getting a bit fed up with myself not knowing who people are exactly. I have a memory like a grade 3 sieve at the best of times - and it's not a photographic memory for peeps either. There are many names I would like to link to faces and proper names - not forum names etc...
Oh. and CharlieB did an exceptional amount of waymarking in between fags and Calvados - thanks Charlie. Andrij's whiskey was a little 'sharper' than last time and my cognac disappeared. Adrian's 'Pocheen de la Nuit' was great and the only drawback was, because of Mrs Tully's cakeography skills, I ended up with plenty of sustenance on arriving back here! The Friday Night Stollen lives on!
28v3n28.jpg

Thanks all - some good friends dotted amongst the unknown (as yet), and it was good to share some time. And I only saw one couple wandering the streets of Romford(?) in their t shirts. I was waiting at the lights with Werner and they were having heated discussions diametrically opposite. It was a bit nippy for them. (They probs. came from 'oop North'...) :santa:

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
Contrary to popular belief... I did not get a puncture... "look in to the eyes, look in to the eyes, not around the eyes, look in to the eyes... *click* and your under"... Now repeat after me, "DavyWalnut's did not get a punture...."

Ahhhh, who am I kidding, my first fnrttc visitation, how embarrassing after my pep talk. Upon checking the tyre today, its seems some vicious beast from the night has wildly hacked at my rear tyre and torn up the inner side of the tyre too, so, a write off, it happens. I still made it back home so I point my two fingers up at this beast!

So the ride..

Boy, it was a cold one, needless to say, and for once, I layered up just right, just.. Cycling to HPC was a breeze, literally and admiring all the Christmas parties and fancy dresses that were about, brought a real good feel to town. Unlike the standard of driving that was being asserted, far too many close shaves. At HPC I was greeted by some familiar and some long time no see faces. Its all very welcoming and feels very family like.

The cycle out of town, was, well, just a nightmare. Christmas revellers, excess taxi's transporting such travellers the odd prang and Blackfriars underpass shut was causing mayhem. I lost Andrij on the second junction due a that broken down car, aggressive taxi's and confusion with the Police. and I humbly apologise again. This made me extra careful in not leaving anyone behind, but boy, spotting way markers in such chaos and clutter of traffic was hard. Maybe I do need an 'all up' type vest..

The ride it self, others will write up better, but it was still a great one with only one other p*fairy visitation of note. The sights we see, at the hours we cycle, in the pitch black darkness we can get, really is quite amazing. We are a rare breed that experience such delights that no camera will ever show. And as for the Sun Rises, well, quite beautiful. The warm glow, the multicoloured rainbow aura, the smiles, makes you forget how bloody cold it was or the struggles through the night. The route through Leigh on Sea is awesome. Great great great experiences.

Big thanks once again and well done to everyone. Everyone makes it such a great ride. We are all different, but we all share a love for cycling and everyone makes its such a delight on the calender spot. But yes, big thanks for our ride leader, way markers, TEC's and everyone else who does their bit in making a very successful event. I feel quite embarrassed getting high praise and a cheer. But it does feel great to do a part in keeping the ride going. Am I too loud?? ha. Massive thanks to the Tully Family, who did an amazing job. Great food and a warm place to rest, just great, and to The Rose to, who under such circumstance, did an excellant job.. Oh, bar the freezing ice cream machine chilling us at the front table, bbbbbrrrrr!! I also hope the fallen are not to bruised and stiff. Ouchies!

I was under no rush to leave for the solo ride home, so stayed and chatted to my fellow tec'er and all round great guy, Ian till about half 10, when time beckoned and we went our separate ways. I have learnt to enjoy the ride more and set off at my own pace doing a scenic route that weaved in and out of the wind and avoiding big towns and big inclines, as we all know I don't do inclines! At a walnut stop near North Ockendon, something glistened to me through churned up mud. It was a necklace with a cross attached. Am not religious, but it spoke to me, like chocolate does, and leaving the muddy and churned up necklace behind, I took the cross. The last time I took that route home, a few months ago, I took a call from my Dad saying my nan had died. She was very religious and so as a good luck charm, it shall now go with me on rides.

I arrived in London still under sunlight and texted Teef to see if there was any stragglers still in LMNH's. Of course there was!! But 35 mins from South of London Bridge to LMNH's was annoying, darn Garmin and London traffic. Still, was great to see a few tipsies and User10571, whom is missed. But £1.50 for a can of coke???? Oh how I say roll on the 29th with such pleasure when booze can be attained and beer debts paid.

And so that's its for this years Fnrttcs. Its been a great one. Cant wait till Spring when it all starts up again. Thanks!

Edit to add a pic..

Attachments

• Fnrttc 101211 Southend.jpg
    Fnrttc 101211 Southend.jpg
    42 KB · Views: 45

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
"You, Mr Whipnuts, are accused of the unforgivable crime of hitting bulls, or words to that effect. How do you plead?"
"Mixed Nuts, M'Lud" he spat.
. :santa:

TEEF!!!! HAHAHAHA!!!

In my defence, my aforesaid plan for that night was changed so my heinous crime of neglect against such 'Slags' and lack of communication in such case, will be paid in full come the 29th... M'Lord...

mmmmartin

Random geezer
Had I been on the ride I would have spent £3 (say) at Stock. I'd like to post a cheque to the Tully family. After all, they deserve it for being there when I might have needed them. How do I do that?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
1640454 said:
Drinking flat white in LMNH doesn't make everyone metrosexual.
who are you trying to kid......?

AlexB

Veteran
Well, a bittersweet ride for me.
Another great ride, very cold, but I was well prepared for it, so was OK, but I can hardly believe that it's going to be 3 months before the next one!!!!
What will I do with my Friday evenings!?

Simon, it's been a pure pleasure on every ride. Hopefully you'll be fighting fit come March!!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Well, a bittersweet ride for me.
Another great ride, very cold, but I was well prepared for it, so was OK, but I can hardly believe that it's going to be 3 months before the next one!!!!
What will I do with my Friday evenings!?

Simon, it's been a pure pleasure on every ride. Hopefully you'll be fighting fit come March!!
I owe you an apology! Shooting off at Fenchurch Street was silly - a result of UTI-befuddled brains.

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
First, GWS to the ice casualties, and to Simon and Susie.

My 13th FNRttC this year, the number perhaps auguring ill, the Bianchi in filthy condition and unfit to be seen in public, after the past few weeks pootling round the grubby Chilterns, and the favourite commuter backup with an intractable brake problem. It was thus I took the Brompton out for a spin. After all, they are designed with that handy little head tube bracket for Christmas tree attachment.
When a Brompton spends its life doing a commute four or five days a week through busy and sometimes hair-raising NW London, its only when you take it out on a decent ride like this to stretch its legs (wheels?), that you realise what a fine piece of engineering they are.

Mercifully, it wasn't quite as cold as the run in March, and a throughly enjoyable ride again with the usual suspects of fine people.
So Brentwood is +120m? I'd completely forgotten what a climb it was. 1st gear jobbie, that one.
The ½-way stop at Stock and the veggie breakfast at The Rose were both well up to standard once again.

Thankyouthankyouthankyou to everyone for a wonderful year of FNRs, and the terrific photos that often accompany the reports. My New Year resolution, well one of them anyway, is to suss how to do the same with my photos.

Have a peaceful and happy Christmas, one and all.

arallsopp

Post of The Year 2009 winner
Well, I'm mighty annoyed. Clapham Common while HPC bound, a flat.

Sorry to have missed you, Lady Jane. Would have been good to catch up. Hope you found the culprit. Also, sorry to have missed all at the post ride drinks, and to anyone who fell foul of my rather too tired attempt at company / waymarking / pace. I'd known in advance that Thurs and Friday would be fairly horrific days at work, so had though to spare you what was clearly going to be a foul mood.

Come Friday afternoon, Evey was leaning on me to join the ride, and come evening, I'd resolved to at least come down and wave everyone off. Putting the phone down on my final call around ten, I just had time to grab my clothes and dash to HPC. Having listened to my repeated denials of attendance all week, Evey had washed my winter gear and got *everything* ready ;)

And I'm bloody glad she did. I remained thoroughly hopeless, but my good friends of the FNRttC lifted my spirits and I got home some 110 miles later a restored man.

What did I learn?
  1. You can't do it without friends. Whatever it is.
  2. Walnuts takes good pictures.
  3. Satin white gloves and recumbent chain lines do not mix.
  4. The Tully family undercharge by 80% and over perform by at least as much.
  5. Tailwinds good. Headwinds bad.
  6. There are things far more restorative than a good nights sleep.
  7. I missed a steam train.

Ben's first FNRttC and also his first SMRbtH.Well done that man...!

..and smiling all the way. Very impressive :smile:

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 1640959, member: 3143"]Many thanks. I bailed at Rayleigh due to the cold and being exhausted.[/quote]

Thought only old men on Brompton's bailed?:boxing:

Fnarr. Fnarr. Fnarr.

Top Bottom