FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Southend-on-Sea 9th December

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Ess

Hello my lovelies

Thank you Simon and the gang for making my 2nd FNR an even better experience than Whitstable!! I've learnt to ignore organisers who proclaim a ride as being 'flat' but it wasn't too bad at all. The ride back was a nightmare though! :wacko:

Special thanks to my 2 angels who supplied me with a fleece and inner gloves which allowed me to enjoy the 2nd half of the ride in a lovely toasty fashion.

Considering I've only done 2 FNRs I'll miss doing these and look forward to doing more and to seeing you all next year.

Ess xx

zigzag

Veteran
these rides are so good, i've decided to give it a go despite my borked elbow (good stuff that vitamin i). the ride went smooth from my pov, except that i nearly fell down approaching the ford but somehow managed to stay upright. the night was cold but i had five layers on me which kept me comfy riding but a bit cold after the stops - i used to drag-brake and pedal, this would warm me up very quickly. the Tully family stop is the best of all mid-stops closely followed by the scout hut on the way to brighton. folding bike did the job nicely and fitted in a small space on the train back to london. talked to a chap (Jeremy) who took a seat next to me told some stories about his running achievements (56mi run in south africa etc) and said he'd want to ride paris-brest-paris some day. i said i might be of help if he has any questions:smile:. train journey seemed short and i was home before 11am. i wasn't too tired for lovely saturday night out with my other half. cheers all - see you on future rides.

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
[QUOTE 1641511, member: 3143"]Making a point like the above is bordering on the ridiculous. There's aways a slim chance that you will DNF on any bike ride for whatever reason.

You forget the purity and cartharsis properties of going on a bike ride. To the point where you would rather DNS, then start and run the risk of DNFing. With all due respect that's really sad.[/quote]
Is that sad from the prospect of a God like being or merely that of a mortal who bailed because they were a little tired and a bit cold?

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
1641672 said:
Greg, had you come you could have seen Lee looking quite other than God-like sat on a keep left bollard in Ilford. He was much more evil elf.
I always look God-like on or off the bike. Regretably the god in question is Bacchus.

peterpaulrubens-bacchus,1638-40.jpg

martint235

Dog on a bike
1641672 said:
Greg, had you come you could have seen Lee looking quite other than God-like sat on a keep left bollard in Ilford. He was much more evil elf.

To be fair, Lee does do Elf very well! :evil:

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Lee's tiredness was, at least in part, down to me - my marker for a turn didn't quite get the message across, and he had a bit of an excursion - and that after having gone from the back to the front of the ride several times for wayfinding stints

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
Lee as elf and safety rep?

What a way to end the FNRttC year that was. Shame Jane (and of course User10571, amongst others) couldn't make it, but delighted to see 'teef back, and Rimas even more so, despite his continued recovery. Went to the station straight from work and made my usual train, it was (sadly not unusually) late, but still made HPC in time. Early progress through London was agonisingly slow, but thankfully the pace picked up a bit. I had four layers on, the Sealskinz socks and Shimano boots kept the feet toasty, and the much maligned (by others!!!) rucksack helped keep my back warm. Still felt the chill now and then- the waymarking stint at Gidea Park for example- but nothing too bad. I kept a fairly good pace up for the most part, that certainly helped. I was waymarking the turn just before the unfortunate crash, and more than a few of the peloton were going quickly into that corner, so I warned them about what was up ahead. Glad the ladies are on the mend, Claud was certainly hobbling but remained in good spirits & is hopefully making a speedy recovery as I type this.

The Tully family again did an amazing job at ridiculously low prices- I was more than happy to put some extra in the hat. Apart from my usual attempts to reduce any overstock in the catering of course! Wow's recommendations on the route worked out very well, as did Simon's decision to keep the speed up a bit. It wasn't the night for architectural diversions. The path through Leigh was slightly more 'fun' than usual- I think everyone was a little more nervous about that drop- but that final stretch was an absolute joy, again. Ess seemed to appreciate the skyline. Wonder if anyone's taken a photo of her? ;)

After a cracking breakfast and a good natter- glad Helen could join us- decided to join Ian, Andy and Ben (well done that man!) on the SMRbtL (as it was for me), to keep crushing Walnuts going for my revised mileage target of 9.5k. The pace was brisk but comfortable enough for me- I had plenty of bail-out points if I had fallen behind, but that proved thankfully unnecessary. According to a yoof in Chadwell St Mary, someone in our group, not sure who they were referring to, had a 'sick bike'- I believe that was a compliment (in which case all our bikes were sick) :smile: Ian and Andy turned south at the Dartford Crossing, and Ben and I carried on west, the looming skyline being a handy direction marker. Ben turned off north for Mile End, and I carried on for Waterloo. As I got into the city the average speed plummeted, but still an overall average of 12.5 (14 mph rolling) so not too shabby. Just missed the 1230 train, but in plenty of time for the next one.

Thanks everyone for another splendid year. Hopefully see more than a few of you on the 29th, and for those already suffering withdrawal symptoms the Not a Friday Night Festive ride will hopefully, weather permitting, be taking place the previous night. And if you can't make either or both of those, see you next year!

Ice I'll chance. But I'll stay off the sausages in The Rose...
Obviously some form of prediction. I hope you and the other fallers are on the mend. I was very fortunate to avoid it all!

Thanks Simon for a great ride. My feet stayed warmish, thanks to my NorthWave Arctic boots and two pairs of socks! although a scarf wouldn't have gone amiss.

After a very nice breakfast in great company, I had a slow ride home via the Dartford Crossing, to finish my 12 consecutive monthly century ride. Have a fantastic Christmas holiday everyone and see you all in 2012.

Top Bottom