FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Southend-on-Sea 9th December

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Nice to have done this ride and to catch up with friend User10571 too! LMNH was the recuperation centre deffo!
I gave up with my PC last night...(luckily for The Walnut) but I'll be back later with a new PSU and photos + verbiage.
Well done Big G...get well soon Simon, and it is a pain in the arse posting this via phone!

U

User10571

Cheers for the beers. And the company!

mistral

Guru
Sadly had to miss the beers & banter, a combination of long hours at work this week & our office do on Thursday night catching up with me.

Got the layering just about right and apart from some chilled toes at a few points kept pretty warm.

Good ride to end the season, pity about the icy tumbles, hope the fallers are not too sore today.

See you all in 2012, (& maybe on 29th) have a great festive break and a Happy New Year to all you wonderful people.

StuartG

slower but further
Got the layering just about right and apart from some chilled toes
Ho Ho! - the decision to go on an uncleated bike and shod myself in hiking boots and three pairs of nice wooly socks meant I had the warmest toes of the mission I reckon. The £2.99 Aldi skiing baraclava kept the other end warm and three pairs of gloves kept me in contact with the bars all the way.

Such hubris is doomed. Seizing the window table at the Rose to bask in the sunrise was a mistake. Even DavyWalnuts mighty frame could not stem the cold air being fanned across from the damned ice cream machine. For the first time of the night I froze. Or rather entered a cryogenic state - not dozing off as you unfairly suggested Charles!

Charles, as my fellow Bromptonite sadly put me to further shame by outclassing me on his Christmas tree & lighten steed.

Other notable firsts was the all-night FNRttC (arriving before sunrise) and sharing a Stock Village Hall table with a knitter. BTW Simon, you must do something about the Tully pricing policy. Way too low.

xmas_tree.jpg

knitter.jpg

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
pretty much the one that got away.

Susie had been bombarding me with germs all week, coughing and sneezing to beat the band. On Thursday her evil plan came to fruition - I collapsed under the sheer weight of microbes and took to my bed, consumed by ague. 'special' hat jammed over my eyes and ears. My plan was to burn up the cold by turning the internal thermostat to max, and to turn up on the night swathed in thermals, accepting a bit of a falling-over afterwards. I had faith in the ride more or less running itself.......

.....which it showed every sign of doing, with Andrij and Adrian making a move for their wayfinding stations and the entire ride following them away from HPC, leaving me behind. Quoi! All of a sudden the man with the mission transformed in to the man who went missing.

We reached the Embankment in good shape, and turned east, the breeze forecast by the Met Office at our backs. There was some messing about and delay caused by the closure of the Blackfriars underpass, and a traffic jam all the way across the City (at quarter past midnight) which we didn't clear until our re-group at Tower Hill Station. From then on it was the good old-fashioned FNRttC groove, through Mile End, Bow, past the Mittal Messup http://www.minyanville.com/special-...rmittal-wealthiest-person/10/21/2010/id/30619 in and out of Tesco's and then on to Romford where we waited for the Puncture Group to catch up.

There was a bit of an odd moment in Romford. A police Range Rover stopped for a word. I was on the far side of the road. so I've got this second hand, but apparently the police told the fifty or so cyclists gathered by the side of the road that Romford wasn't a nice place. So much for the tourist board marketing campaign.

Off we went to Brentwood, jewel of mid Essex, at 120 metres, the high point of the ride. Another puncture, dealt with efficiently by Team Ians/Teef/Davy, while we slipped down the hill and off toward Mountnessing.

In to the dark. Now, for the first time, the sky came in to its own. Jupiter blazing, a million stars twinkling and the big soft round moon, like some familiar lamp in the corner of the room. We negotiated the ford, Mandy and Claudine coming to grief on the ice (those of you sending texts and e-mails imploring me for updates on the TC ankle should rest assured - I have inspected it and it remains the acme of grace and proportion that it ever was) and the rest of us enjoyed some comedy moments getting away, but get away we did, turing south before climbing Honeypot Lane to Stock.

Stock is a pretty village (and all the prettier for having a bit of DZ architecture taran-tara) with three fine churches and a splendid mill, but the village hall is living testament to the spirit of the place. Warm, accommodating and staffed on Friday night by the Excellent Tully Family, who laid out a spread that we simply couldn't do justice to. The prices were an outrage - roll, cakes and tea set me back £2.30 - so Adrian took it upon himself to pass around the Special Hat to raise an extra few bob for the village football team changing rooms.

Peter W had cycled over from Southend and offered a more southerly, less icy route in to Southend, an offer too good to turn down. We set off southward, along the western edge of the vast Hanningfield Reservoir, Peter sharing nuggets of local and family history with those at the front. Through Wickford (better done by night than by day) and the gap between the DfT's 'motorways by stealth' in to Rayleigh and past the smallest council house in Britain
The_Dutch_Cottage%2C_Rayleigh_-_geograph.org.uk_-_227386.jpg

before re-grouping in Rayleigh town centre (see Wickford, above) and setting off south for Tattershall Gardens.

Here we collected and admired the lights on the Kent shore of the Thames, gazed in wonder at the gas flares from the cracking towers (thankyou Ianrauk) at Corringham, and oohed at the shooting star of all shooting stars heading toward Canvey Island. Then down to Leigh, across the railway line, past the fishing sheds and along the cinder path past a thousand boats resting on the mudflats. By this time dawn was a burnt orange stain on the horizon, the white stucco-ed villas of Westcliff catching the first rays and reflecting them back across the estuary. We rolled in to Southend at 6.45, amid cries of wonder from Sandra, who clearly takes a close interest in contemporary architecture! Poor Chris had been let down by two members of staff not turning up, but he managed the kitchen while his granddaughter did the business with tea and coffee. At this point, having survived the ride I pretty much collapsed in a microbe meltdown. To those of you who had to bear the stream of drivel that passed for conversation, apologies.

In time Helen and Del came by, and, from what I can remember, everybody chatted away about pretty much anything or nothing. Davy, Teef and the two Ians received a well-deserved heroes' welcome, and I tried, but failed to thank those who stood on cold streetcorners, sometimes for quite a while - in no particular order, and knowing full well that I'm going to miss somebody out, Andrij, Adrian, Mick D, Miranda, Claudine, Grahame, Gordon, Ben (on his first ride), Rimas, Andy, Charlie, Alex, the Stuarts, Lee and Werner - a list that, however incomplete demonstrates that this is what cycling clubs should be about.

So, well done to Cate who found the Whitstable ride a bit tough but came back for more, well done to Adrian for going on every FNRttC for the last three years, well done to Mark P whose smile to miles ratio has got to be some kind of record, and thankyou one and all. It was great.

srw

It's a bit more complicated than that...
Best wishes to one and all, injured, sick, ill, labouring under a social construct - and of course uninjured. You have stronger constitutions than I can claim. I hope to see you again sometime next year, in more clement conditions.

Likewise.
Ideally, I would've arrived earlier, but was on a piano collecting mission in Kent.
Along with Susie and Simon, I suppose you were a little off-key too...comes from carrying around a long Chopin Liszt for Christmas. :rolleyes:
(PC heaven again...ahhh.) Yes. The knitting episode had me in stitches. Purl Izumi springs to mind, but it says one thing; warm fingers - ergo it wasn't very cold, apart from the restart after Stocking up on fud. The Tully's were brilliant, friendly and the quality of food - wowzer! :santa:

I did think the long week of work had caught up with me for a second when the knitting came out..

The smallest council house in Britain was cool, I've spent some of the morning watching video tours of it. (they're all quite short, natch)

My flickr set of the night (didn't take many photos, must try harder) is here:
http://www.flickr.com/photos/brassica/sets/72157628371854925/

and yes, the Tullys massively undercharged, I'd have paid double what I did for my double bun and coffee.

Really looking forward to the Christmas day ride.

I'm not kidding, I've had more comments about them in one day than any item of clothing I've ever owned. They were ace though, like wearing a pair of big, flouro, windproof marshmallows on my feet. Not cheap mind, fortunately they were a present from SWMBO after she got worried about me getting frozen on the ride.

From at least Wednesday the weather forecast for Friday was -2. All day Friday I kept thinking why on earth would I want to be out all night in temperatures like that? I'm asthmatic for goodness sake - damp cold air wearing either too much or too little is just asking for trouble. And all day Friday I kept thinking that if I could work out the requisite clothes layers and carry an inhaler - the ride would be awesome!

A certain LELer I know (who can chat on his mobile sounding as though he is sitting at his desk even though is literally cycling up the Beacon) fabulously offered to carry some extra clothes for me. Sorted!

I arrived at Hyde Park Corner at 11.30 to discover that the LELer was a no show. Eeeeek! But, by some incredible piece of good luck, Father Christmas turned up offering to carry my kit instead.Thank you Santa! (Although there was a bit of worry that if Father Christmas was doing the FNRttC Southend -who was looking after Christmas? Apparently, that's what elves are for and everything is reassuringly under control. The only night ride he can't make is 24th December, ever!)

55 or so cyclists, Father Christmas and I left Hyde Park Corner and headed East. Along the Embankment to Blackfriars Bridge. There was a lot of traffic. Why so much I have no idea. Onwards through East London which seemed to have lots of police out and about. Then on to Tescos for a quick stop. Leaving Tescos, Andrij said "let's go ahead and do the next two wayfaring bits" so off we went ahead of Dellzeqq to our positions. I stood under a traffic light directing " this way".

After a few minutes a flurry of little lights, like a mobile Christmas tree, arrived in front of me. They made their way across the junction. Then I noticed that the lights had turned blue. Blue?? Oh gawd. A police van drew up next to me, the window was wound down and a voice said something like "errr, sorry to ask but what are you all doing?" So I explained. Then I realised he may well arrest me for being drunk and out of my mind (which as a genuine t-totaller would be a first) Luckily no such thing. He smiled - he cycles, he has a hybrid he said. He went on his way wishing us a good night. I waited. After a while I did begin to wonder what I looked like, standing in lycra, a flashing light on my head, under a traffic light on an empty street.

Then a familiar light frequency appeared and Ianruak arrived. There had been a puncture in Tescos. He went on to let Andrij know. I waited. After a bit, more police. My heart sank. But, what joy, it was the same policemen as before. They had had found the TEC and were kindly reporting back to me that they should be along in a minute. And how right they were. Teef and Davy Walnuts arrived, shouted All Up and I peddled like billio to catch the rest of the ride.

I climbed up some hill (flat ride? - pah!) , the roads became less urban, the moon was full and the sky was crystal clear. Cyclists faces- some new and some familiar, all wrapped up in hats and humour. This was a Friday Night Ride to the Coast indeed. I do need to confess that the direction of the wind was so spot on perfect that at one point, going up a slightly rising road I was doing 17mph without actually having my feet on the pedals!! Oh the joys of a wide butt. Hilarious and true!

Meandering mildly up and down gentle lanes, the shoal of flashing lights made its way to pancake flatness Essex. We headed on and "splshhhhhssshhh" a few cyclists went through a Ford. I took the path route. This was the part of the ride that succumbed to ice. I heard a couple of tumbles behind. Horrid. I stood on the side of road encouraging (as requested by Dellzeqq) a bit of walking rather than riding the next 50 yards as the ice was in existence this side of the ford too.

The moon, the stars and flat farmland, I hadn't seen a building for miles. Then a car. A Car?? It was 3.45am or so. It pulled up alongside me. "Oh My Gawdddd. Not Again" I said to myself as the word "POLICE" became visible written on its side. The window went down, a voice asked "Err, can I ask you what you are all doing?" So I took a deep breath and told them. They smiled. They seemed kindly enthusiastic. I relaxed and said "Yes but what are you doing out here in the middle of nowhere at this time of night?" Neither of them could give me a reply. "OMG" I thought to myself. "What on earth am I asking them that for?" So I spluttered something like "we are heading to Stock. Is it far?" They said not, we moved the conversation to the ride, they wished us a good night and left.

Stock was stunning. The food - including my all time favourite treat - homemade Bakewell Tart; the service - super friendly human-beings serving tea and cheer at 4am, it was cosy, warm and a very special place indeed. I hope they raised lots of dosh and trust that my donation in a hat more than compensated for their very low pricing of my teas, roll and Bakewell Tart.
It was also a great party - a great opportunity to catch up with peeps. To see the recovery, particularly of Tim Hall and Remus who - despite being extremely competent cyclists, have both been involved in serious traffic accidents with people who "didn't see them".

Out into the cold air, cautious of ice but onwards to Southend. We stopped to look at a stunning view across to an island. It was like being a photograph it was so surreal and stunning. As we neared Leigh on Sea, we went along the side of the waters edge, led by Wowbagger and straight to the Rose Cafe who fed and watered us extremely well. Auntie Helen joined us which was lovely.
A train back to Fenchurch Street and into Look Mum No Hands for drinks and more laughs. We were greeted by Martin235. He was there first - slightly cheating as he hadn't been on the ride due to Xmas Partying. The beers started flowing, TC's ankle was elevated to hopefully help reduce the pain, Susie's cold was diminishing - I can't believe she has been that ill all week and still did the ride. We cheered the fact that Susie has completed every 2011 FNRttC. Brilliant! I am a bit shocked to hear that Dellzeqq was too ill to join us at LMNH. Goodness knows how you both did this ride being that ill. You two are just amazing.

It is true to say that an FNRttC is about as much fun as you can ever have on a bike. Thank you everyone.

I took some pics (some more rubbish than others!) which should be here: https://picasaweb.google.com/108733...&authkey=Gv1sRgCNnpnMO1jJ_jXQ&feat=directlink

M :hello:

TC.jpg

Superfoods.jpg

Three Wise Cyclsts.jpg

Top Bottom