FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - suggestions for 2011 please

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Really looking forward to the Dieppe raid and the Manc run on these - what's the profile like for the latter as I'm trying to persuade a local of my acquaintance to join and he's scared of having to climb something brutal like Rivington Pike (actually, the prospect of getting up that gives me the collywobbles)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Really looking forward to the Dieppe raid and the Manc run on these - what's the profile like for the latter as I'm trying to persuade a local of my acquaintance to join and he's scared of having to climb something brutal like Rivington Pike (actually, the prospect of getting up that gives me the collywobbles)
that's a very perspicacious thought, ceepeebee, and one that reveals a sordid secret. The profile is a monster. Absolutely horrifying. I'm going to do a recce ride, and scarcely expect my marriage to survive, but the hills are alive with the ghosts of chainwheels. There are alternatives, and I will, of course, take advice, but for the moment the route goes through Affetside and Whittlestone. Be afraid. Be very afraid.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
I'm a bit of a sucker for Watling Street. I do, however, recognise that there is an eastern alternative - still not flat by Southern Softie standards, but surely within the compass of Gnarly Northerners.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Watling Street gives a distance of 14.8 miles from Blackburn to Bury.

I also thought of going through Tottington and then north from Edgeworth to Belthorn and then going in to Blackburn on the A6077 - which is an additional mile, and I appreciate that even that road takes you up to about 1000 feet, but it isn't festooned with 1 in 7 arrows.

There's also the B6214 route which is a bit longer still

So if I want to do next year's 'northern' ride, I need to get quite a lot better at hills before April..... oh dear.

(although I did have breakfast in Scarborough on Saturday having ridden there from York, including some distinctly lumpy bits. Walked down Staxton Hill, mind!)

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Wow! Upmarket pub. from the dellzencpqq!
Congratulations on the logoification - proud to be a participant.
I've got a friend who's going for a big sponsor, so it needed smartening up a bit. I'm still not happy with the Brighton and Newhaven pages

Top Bottom