FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - SuperSpeedy to Harwich 16th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
you know who you are

some of you know where you're going

the landing craft will meet us on the beach - I'll be texting ahead

apart from that it's all a bit mysterious

just don't tell anybody

fnrttc@yahoo.co.uk for details

of which there are remarkably few

Listen carefully, for I will say this only once.

Here's a tip, for those who know where you're going, from someone who's been there already.

When you reach the other side after your special non land based journey, whatever you do, don't push your bike.

Carry your bike all the way across to terra firma.

This message will self destruct after a few aeons.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
All I want to know is.......

Do I book return transport or groupsave. (not that I'm saying I'm going or anything like.....)

You 'aint seen me, right!

markwilliams.png

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty

Here's a tip, for those who know where you're going, from someone who's been there already.

When you reach the other side after your special non land based journey, whatever you do, don't push your bike.

ha! Last time we went there we were landed on an island and told the tide was going out!

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly

And getting to the beach as well...

Groupsave's the way to go, as I think someone who might have gone might have suggested ;) Advance fares are cheaper but you'd have to get there early enough, or wait long enough, for the train in question, and certain timings don't have advance fares available anyway.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
the weather forecast has now changed for the better - dry, following wind, 12 degrees.

Riding back might be tough (although Arnoldas and Rimas will doubtless ride back via Tewkesbury, Petersfield and Dover, just to make a night of it...) because the route we take avoids some desperate roads. If you retrace our steps, the ferry timetable doesn't start until 11 am, so you might have a bit of a wait

StuAff

Silencing his legs regularly
the weather forecast has now changed for the better - dry, following wind, 12 degrees.

Riding back might be tough (although Arnoldas and Rimas will doubtless ride back via Tewkesbury, Petersfield and Dover, just to make a night of it...) because the route we take avoids some desperate roads. If you retrace our steps, the ferry timetable doesn't start until 11 am, so you might have a bit of a wait

Only about 460 miles, sounds like their kind of workout ;)

_aD

Do not touch suspicious objects

I live in Petersfield so if anyone requires food, drink or a place to stay (if you end up being less hardcore than you think) you're welcome to appear. Drop me a PM if interested.

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Ridght - I've got Gordon, Rimas, Arnoldas, Ian, Mark, Tim, Titus if he's not revolving at 600 feet, Adrian, Ross, Andrew, User10571, Miranda, Dave, Stuart, Charlie, Martins, Bruce?, Toby?, Grahame

WSW wind - perfect - 12 degrees, good visibility. If the skies clear over Mersea the stars will be sensational.

martint235

Dog on a bike
Ridght - I've got Gordon, Rimas, Arnoldas, Ian, Mark, Tim, Titus if he's not revolving at 600 feet, Adrian, Ross, Andrew, User10571, Miranda, Dave, Stuart, Charlie, Martin, Bruce?, Toby?

WSW wind - perfect - 12 degrees, good visibility. If the skies clear over Mersea the stars will be sensational.

I'm assuming I'm the Martin rather than 'Teef? Really looking forward to this!!!

TimO

Guru
Funnily enough, I met Adrian earlier (ie he saw me, and caught me up!) and we briefly chatted about this.

It sounds like it should be fun, and with the wind behind us. Yay!

I will be bringing the stupidly light bike, Red, instead of my tried and trusty angle-iron Kaffenback!

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Funnily enough, I met Adrian earlier (ie he saw me, and caught me up!) and we briefly chatted about this.

It sounds like it should be fun, and with the wind behind us. Yay!

I will be bringing the stupidly light bike, Red, instead of my tried and trusty angle-iron Kaffenback!
good job, Tim. That monster might have sunk the landing craft. Remind me to confiscate some mudguards............

zigzag

Veteran
If you retrace our steps, the ferry timetable doesn't start until 11 am, so you might have a bit of a wait

are there any more details about the trip and destination? from what i can see on a map, getting to harwich doesn't require any major water crossing. for trip back to the smoke i'd use a part of dunwich-london route that i rode couple of years ago (manningtree, colchester, tiptree, maldon, e hanningfield, w hanningfield, stock, billericay, ingrave, gt warley, romford etc.). if there is a better route i'd be glad to hear from experienced ones (not via dover - thanks!).

Top Bottom