FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - SuperSpeedy to Harwich 16th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

clivedb

Guru
Have a chat with Charon the boatman and ask him when he'll be available for the return trip.......

It'll cost you to cross over, but I don't think he does return journeys.

TimO

Guru
fnrttc@yahoo.co.uk for details

of which there are remarkably few

I'm guessing that we're starting at HPC at midnight, cycling to Harwich for breakfast, and possibly stopping somewhere in-between those two points, briefly.

For all the Superspeedyness, it's probably a touch under 90 miles, so even at 12mph, we'd be there at 7-30 (albeit with no stops). At a brisker 15mph, and allowing an hour for the crossing, we'd make it at 7am, so I'm not overly worried.

Of course, cycling the Kaffenback with a pannier of clothes, lunch, and tools every day, is good training for cycling Red who probably weighs less than half what the Kaffenback weighs!

Wobblers

Euthermic
Gordon, Rimas, Arnoldas, Ian, Mark, Tim, Titus if he's not revolving at 600 feet, Adrian, Ross, Andrew, User10571, Miranda, Dave, Stuart, Charlie, Martins, Bruce?, Toby?, Grahame, Chris B

WSW wind 14mph - perfect - 12 degrees, good visibility. If the skies clear over Mersea the stars will be sensational.

I can vouch for this: last year watching Venus rise with the first hints of dawn was Just Wonderful. I shall be sad to miss it. Writing up a thesis just doesn't compare!

I take it the "Andrew" on the list is not me?

TimO

Guru
The forecast still seems OK. The temperature overnight is projected as being around 12°C, which is on the edge of indecisiveness as regards short or longs.

I'm erring towards longs, since there's also a slight risk of the light rain forecast for later occurring earlier, in which case longs will be a bit drier and warmer.

U

User10571

Was there not some delay last year while the hotplate in the cafe reached cooking temperature?

CharlieB

Junior Walker and the Allstars
I can vouch for this: last year watching Venus rise with the first hints of dawn was Just Wonderful. I shall be sad to miss it. Writing up a thesis just doesn't compare!

I take it the "Andrew" on the list is not me?

Was that Venus setting just behind the moon at about 6 this morning? Whatever it is, tomorrow morning, they should be almost coincident.

PaulRide

Always at opposition
Was that Venus setting just behind the moon at about 6 this morning? Whatever it is, tomorrow morning, they should be almost coincident.

That was Jupiter, heading towards opposition on 29 October. It's currently reaching its highest point in the sky a bit before 4am.

If you see Venus in the morning, it will be rising before the sun. If you see it in the eveing, it'll be following the sun towards the horizon. It's never far from the sun's position in the sky.

I wish I could be joining you guys on this ride. On the other hand, I'm not feeling speedy, let alone super-speedy, these days.

Top Bottom