FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - SuperSpeedy to Harwich 16th September

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

StuartG

slower but further
Good ride for me too. The exit from London being truly SuperSpeedy - not so much from velocity as the failure of the traffic lights to break up the compact group and hence little need of re-grouping. Brentwood always provides some splendid sights for us ageing voyeurs ... funny never any pictures of ...

And onto the best bit of the ride for me. A brisk but not too fast cruise through the delightful Essex lanes to Maldon. The moon lit up a beautiful sky and Jupiter (so I was told) played a bright distant cousin not too may parsecs away.

After Tescos we entered the dark edge of Essex and Tolleshunt after Tolleshunt. The pace quickened, and quickened again. I suddenly found myself trailing what I thought was the main group. Indeed I mistakenly thought I was behind the TECs and in danger of being lost in the marshes. I speeded up but as I was about to catch the group they must have looked round and thought my animation must be rabid and pushed harder. On and on it went - almost catching, falling back and pushing hard again until Mersea Island.

I can't say I enjoyed that bit but I've never ridden as hard for so long and that gave me satisfaction. Sadly my computer went on the blink so I will never know quite what I did.

The landing craft crossing was all you expect of adventure at dawn in a other wordly maritime paradigm. And on to Harwich. First the good news. Basil Fawlty is alive, well and managing the Pier Hotel. The Pier Cafe triumphed in a Pythonesque manner. Every chair and table has its appointed place and woe betide any mere cyclists trying to be helpful ... Food was eaten. Tea & Coffee was drunk and little else which in itself makes this ride unique.

Except the company without which one could never achieve what 18 months ago I would have thought impossible. Not that I'm going to sign up on the London-Harwich-London ride next year. For me that is a tad too much but chapeau for those that can enjoy it.

martint235

Dog on a bike
I'm just back. 183 miles, the last 2 of which were in pouring rain!! Still a fantastic night out though, really enjoyed that. Thanks to Mark for the conversation at the back, it made the hours fly by. Not a single problem reported, not even a puncture!

Cheers to Ian, Rimas and Martin F for the company on the ride back. That headwind was a pain!!!

Off for a bath now, then a sleep then maybe some wine to celebrate a certain rugby victory this morning and to pray for another one tomorrow morning!!!
thumbsup.png

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What a brilliant ride. Nice and super speedy... it does what it sez on the tin.
With the lower numbers there was a more fluid feel to the ride, less stopping and starting and (this must be a record), not one mechanical if I remember rightly.

It was a mild night weather wise, no rain. Only needing the armwarmers to keep off the chill.

I cycled back with Mr 'teef' Mr ZigZag & my usual partner in crime, Martint235.
What makes it such a pleasure cycling with these guys is that they are all exceptional cyclists. And with the headwind we had to endure they are the type of cyclists one needs in front of you paving the way and making things a little easier..

My Garmin data corrupted which is a pain in the arse.. but I think I managed between 190-200 miles for the night/day.
My longest ever cycle ride.

Got in just before it started raining.

Mark Grant

Acting Captain of The St Annes Jombulance.
My first Harwich ride and my first time at the back as a TEC. With no mechanicals Martin and I had a easy time, it was quite relaxing compared to my experiences waymarking, though this view is obviously coloured by the aforementioned lack of problems.

Once away from the street lamps we had a lovely moonlit ride, the cloud increasing as the night went on. Dawn broke as we crossed the water on the second boat trip. I spotted a tap and hose outside the harbour office at Brightlingsea and some of us used it to rinse off the sand that had accumulated on our bikes and shoes from Mersea island.

We arrived at Harwich pier rather early for the staff but after a wait the breakfast was good.
After dozing on the train I'd lost any enthusiasm for beer at Look Mum' so rode straight home.

116 enjoyable miles.

Ba$tard wind. did I mention that I headed straight back in a SW direction from Harwich? What direction was the wind gusting from - you got it in one. :angry:

As Ian said it was a nice tidy ride. I 'topped out' at 48.3mph, so I guess it was a bit of an advanced bimble in terms of pace, which was a nice change - I'm sure everyone enjoyed the rampage through the lanes to breakfast.

Yeh - that wind. I was struggling on the slopes coming back. I did 6600ft of climbing and I reckon the most part of that was the delights of Barnet (turning out time at the football stadium, and a loss, 2-0 v Oxford United when I passed through) and Totteridge etc. Never mind, my garmin more or less behaved!

I missed some ride company because it was tough. When one has a 'destination' then it is necessary to plug away at the distance. sharing that works but in the end...you've just got to do it! I lolled around outside Tescos and other providing places, keeping the cravings for chocolate under control. :smile: 202 miles in 14 hours 8 mins for stattos everywhere - the return pace was just..."Have I told you about the headwind?"
:smile:
Thanks all - some good laughs, particularly with Ian. Except the one about the nice tarmac path to gain access to the boat, available by taking a different turning, walking through a carpark, past a pillbox and following a tarmacadamed smoothness to our 'Boys Own' D-Day landing craft! Otherwise, one might say impeccable organisation from Dell O' the Sea (Delsea for short).

Now that my Garmin is out to play again, I feel sure I could bore for England at something else now - not just the usual banter. :smile:

The build up to this ride was a bit of a unusual. Secret squirrel posts, no immediate list of participants or route details although there was mention of something about a boat. But as I was on the list of participants - my third FNRttC in as many weeks - I didn't care!

At HPC TimO gave Jean Michel Jarre something to worry about - the lazer display from Red was pretty impressive and caused a rush of "I want one"!

At midnight we headed down Constitution Hill aware that Zigzag had not arrived. Little worry - we knew that following his PBP speed he would probably be at the Refreshment stop before us! As it happened, he found us as we headed round Buckingham Palace. Eastwards and Tesco-bound we headed. Then through the night - with the moon clearly visible - to Malden and another Tesco. (The Drive-in window at McDonalds remained firmly shut despite encouragement to the contrary).

Then to the beach and a boat ride to Brightlingsea. Onwards to the dawn. As the sun rose the views were absolutely stunning. An enormous rural plain that went on forever - with the most incredible pink sky. Just lovely. At this point the pace of the ride was - well - led by Teef (need I say more?) so stopping for pics was not an option.

Into Harwich to sit and stare whilst the cafe woke up, followed by copious cups of tea, coffee, cooked breakfasts and some really dire jokes. Onto the 10.30 train, straight to Look Mums No Hands for a cheery beer and then home via a couple of laps of Hyde Park to bring my ride over the 100 mile mark. Excellent. These rides are just awesome and educational on many levels...

Thank you everyone and a very big thank you, as ever, to Dellzeqq. I did take some pics!

M :bicycle:

Attachments

• Stars at HPC.jpg
    Stars at HPC.jpg
    28.8 KB · Views: 58
  • Red on Red.jpg
    Red on Red.jpg
    20.5 KB · Views: 60
  • Is anybody there asked the cyclist.jpg
    Is anybody there asked the cyclist.jpg
    30.6 KB · Views: 58
  • Left Right or Straight on.jpg
    Left Right or Straight on.jpg
    59.4 KB · Views: 64
  • Stars at Harwich.jpg
    Stars at Harwich.jpg
    61.5 KB · Views: 71
  • FNRttC Successfully completed.jpg
    FNRttC Successfully completed.jpg
    50.7 KB · Views: 76

zigzag

Veteran
what an enjoyable night and day (my legs seem to disagree though)! great company as ever, sharing passion for cycling and adventure. the ride to harwich was smooth and flawless, no incidents or problems with equipment (due to more experienced riders?). off-road section in mersea island and boat trip in the dark added different flavour and a sense of occasion. after "all-up" in brightlingsea, harwich was a stone's throw away and we arrived before the cafe opened. after it opened it was nice to sit inside as i was getting cold while waiting.
after breakfast it was a time to make our way back home and few of us (the usual suspects mentioned above) chose to ride back, fighting relentless headwind which kept on slapping our faces hoping that we will give in sooner or later (good luck!). but sooner rather than later we reached dartford crossing where Ian called a helpful man-with-a-van who tranfered us from essex to kent. after reaching crayford we went our own ways and i found myself on a2016 road which is a fast dual carriage way. i was glad that it wasn't busy at all. like martint235, i had rain drops falling on my head for the last hour or so.
after reaching home, garmin odo showed 305km/190mi including two assisted river crossings.

some photos are here

U

User10571

OK.

I'm not entirely sure what happened there.

But it looks like I suffered catastrophic and total loss of service.

Somewhere around 17:50 yesterday.

I have Martin235's post at 17:43. (Good - that was real)

After which: Nothing.

Zilch. Zero. Niet. Nic. I lost the plot.

Fast forward to 02:45 and me in bed (good/safe), with a shirt and socks on (maybe not so good).

There's evidence around my house that at some point I had a meal (Bacon and mushroom risotto).

There's further evidence of a phone call at 18:11 (of which I was blissfully unaware).

Right now I'm sat here, working my way through a packet of chorizo whilst checking out a .tcx of Andrij's ride tomorrow (today). I'm also lookin' at Rimas' pics from last night - some excellent in-motion shots there R.

There's a stonkingly good moon in a brilliantly clear sky out there at the moment.

Anyone fancy a ride?
thumbsup.png

Loking at your photos Rimas, it is interesting to see the way the sky changed its clothes.

IMGP0610.jpg

A perspective bullseye, and the nuance of colour is spot on...shame about those plebs with red lights spoiling the picture! :smile:
And also a nice reminder of thoughtful Mark's flask - the early morning stiffener was welcome. thanks, as we milled around under the disparaging eye of the table police.

Top Bottom