FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast to Southend-on-Sea 30th April 2010

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Davywalnuts

Chief Kebab Taster
arallsopp said:
Always the risk. Simjilar thing happened to Mista Preston once, IIRC. We were dead reckoning his distance using my GPS reading, minus a guestimated commute, plus a couple of miles extra for him to get to the start point. I measured it all up when I got home, and realised we'd delivered him back with a couple of hundred feet to go :biggrin:

Oh how gutting!! :blush:

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Where you the chap on the blue fixie?

Origamist said:
Andrew, glad you're relatively OK. On a more positive note, I guess you're lucky it wasn't me or Aperitif that hit you from behind.

Davywalnuts said:
Am gutted...

Just done my cycle logging, and I hadnt done a combination of 180 miles (as I went for a loop around london and briefly into and out of work again plus the fnrttc) it was in fact 188 miles... am gutted, if only I knew... so close to the 200... I did all the calculations in my head, guess thats tiredness for ya!

I was wondering how you accumulated all those miles Davy - I thought in the end that you carried your GPS back and forth when you went to the toilet...that's usually a lot of distance!:thumbsup:
I was drinking buckets when you were sweating buckets on the return - well done!

GrumpyGregry

Here for rides.
is there any possibility, in a FNRttC spirit of fraternal and sororal solidarity, that those who post here, and elsewhere, psuedonomously might out themselves by revealing their real names and ride of choice for the puposes of conviviality and conversation? Everyone seems so pleasant outside of P&L, and occassional dyspepetic outbursts in the Cafe, it would be nice to put names to faces, psuedonyms, and avatars. (Not that I can promise I will remember them.... it's a kick in the head when playing rugby thing.)

Perhaps on the list in the thread for the Whistable ride?

GregCollins said:
is there any possibility, in a FNRttC spirit of fraternal and sororal solidarity, that those who post here, and elsewhere, psuedonomously might out themselves by revealing their real names and ride of choice for the puposes of conviviality and conversation? Everyone seems so pleasant outside of P&L, and occassional dyspepetic outbursts in the Cafe, it would be nice to put names to faces, psuedonyms, and avatars. (Not that I can promise I will remember them.... it's a kick in the head when playing rugby thing.)

Perhaps on the list in the thread for the Whistable ride?

I agree 100% Geoffrey

TimO

Guru
GregCollins said:
... that those who post here, and elsewhere, psuedonomously might out themselves by revealing their real names and ride of choice ...

Me (aka Tim) in daylight (on a Not-The-FNRttC, May 2009). If it's warm enough, I'll most likely be in a YACF Jersey.

small.php?file=p5310778.jpg

...otherwise, if it's a bit cooler I'll be wearing this thin orangey-yellow fleece:

small.php?file=WARTY_Jan09_MeWithIceInHair.jpg

(If it's wet I'll have on a grey waterproof, but that's less unique).

And currently my weapon of choice is a Sand Planet-X Kaffenback with straight handlebars:

small.php?file=Kaffenback_SideOn.jpg

theclaud

Openly Marxist
Hello all. Glad to hear Andrew is OK. And that being the main worry of the night, can we stop all this barmy talk of compulsory smartphones and satnavs and sashes now, please? On account of their being worse than useless at preventing people from riding into the back of each other... The TEC/waymarking system is pleasing in its simplicity, usually works fine, and the worse thing that happened when it didn't is that a few of us were bored for a while hanging around at uninspiring roundabouts and wondering how long we should give it before we throw in the towel. It happens anyway on the more spread-out rides that the strange time-standstill effect of waymarking is apt to convince you that you have gone entirely bonkers and the TECs must have given the "All up!" ages ago but you were too busy staring at the moon or watching foxes to notice. Given that waymarkers ought by definition to be reasonably robust cyclists with enough wit about them to follow a few signs to the destination should it come to that, a couple of key phone numbers and a bit of a clue about the route should suffice. Having said all that, hats off to Thom, who did a very fine and exhausting job of finding out what had happened and mopping up the strandees, and to Tim (not that one... not that one either... the other one) and his map, who enabled us to stick to something vaguely resembling the planned route on the last leg.

So - bit of a shambolic ride by FNRttC standards, but then those standards are higher than most. Thanks to the hot air treatment at J31, and despite having to conclude that the charms of the Five Bells roundabout are over-rated, I didn't have a bad ride, and enjoyed the whizz to the finish with Ian to keep me on my toes. 55 pancake-flat miles are a rare treat for those of us from the hillier zones, and (tho I'd be the first to declare our leader strictly irreplaceable) the company and camaraderie as usual couldn't be faulted.

I’ve just thought of something else which might be relevant, as I’ve just realised my work First Aid certificate thingie ran out some time ago.

I think the CTC require Ride Leaders to have a First Aid certificate anyway, but perhaps it would be worth checking who else has one, and also ensuring there are a number of basic first aid kits carried by the TECs?

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
Yup,
I was waymarking somewhere in deepest darkest East London... outside a very busy Kebab shop, with what could be described as some very interesting characters looking and pointing at this mad cyclist person stood on a street corner at 2am in the peeing rain.. even one of the proprietors of said shop came out and asked me what I was up to? I did think of ordering a nice fat Doner Kebab..I waited for at least 20+ minutes (it did seem much longer).. I was so very near to giving up waiting due to the rain and the cold when Simon appeared giving the all clear and everyone up..there had been another puncture.... it's so easy to think that you have been left behind.

theclaud said:
Hello all. Glad to hear Andrew is OK. And that being the main worry of the night, can we stop all this barmy talk of compulsory smartphones and satnavs and sashes now, please? On account of their being worse than useless at preventing people from riding into the back of each other... The TEC/waymarking system is pleasing in its simplicity, usually works fine, and the worse thing that happened when it didn't is that a few of us were bored for a while hanging around at uninspiring roundabouts and wondering how long we should give it before we throw in the towel. It happens anyway on the more spread-out rides that the strange time-standstill effect of waymarking is apt to convince you that you have gone entirely bonkers and the TECs must have given the "All up!" ages ago but you were too busy staring at the moon or watching foxes to notice. Given that waymarkers ought by definition to be reasonably robust cyclists with enough wit about them to follow a few signs to the destination should it come to that, a couple of key phone numbers and a bit of a clue about the route should suffice. Having said all that, hats off to Thom, who did a very fine and exhausting job of finding out what had happened and mopping up the strandees, and to Tim (not that one... not that one either... the other one) and his map, who enabled us to stick to something vaguely resembling the planned route on the last leg.

So - bit of a shambolic ride by FNRttC standards, but then those standards are higher than most. Thanks to the hot air treatment at J31, and despite having to conclude that the charms of the Five Bells roundabout are over-rated, I didn't have a bad ride, and enjoyed the whizz to the finish with Ian to keep me on my toes. 55 pancake-flat miles are a rare treat for those of us from the hillier zones, and (tho I'd be the first to declare our leader strictly irreplaceable) the company and camaraderie as usual couldn't be faulted.

We seem to have these whizzes don't we? And very enjoyable they are too.. nice to stretch the pins. You would have enjoyed the Whizz back to Dartford with myself and Andy A. 42 mile non-stop whizzing except for a stop for a Double Decker ;) for me and some sort of energy plastic tasting drink for Andy xx(...

Wheeledweenie

Über Member
Flying Dodo said:
I’ve just thought of something else which might be relevant, as I’ve just realised my work First Aid certificate thingie ran out some time ago.

I think the CTC require Ride Leaders to have a First Aid certificate anyway, but perhaps it would be worth checking who else has one, and also ensuring there are a number of basic first aid kits carried by the TECs?

I have one. I am also a fire warden at work, should we need one. Burning rubber and all that.

CopperBrompton

Bicycle: a means of transport between cake-stops
GregCollins said:
is there any possibility, in a FNRttC spirit of fraternal and sororal solidarity, that those who post here, and elsewhere, psuedonomously might out themselves by revealing their real names and ride of choice for the puposes of conviviality and conversation?
Forget it: those CCers are well dodgy. I'm remaining anonymous.

Top Bottom