FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Whitstable, 15th August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Wobblers

Euthermic
On past performances, go to a five star hotel and have a sumputuous meal then claim he spent the night in an ice cave. Ranulph Fiennes, on the other hand, is the Real Deal, and would probably burn his own fingers to keep warm, not that he'd need to. Who do you want to emulate?

To be honest, the Bear Grylls solution sounds distinctly more appealing.

Fab Foodie

hanging-on in quiet desperation ...
If you meet Mr Grylls and he offers you a Mars Bar, politely decline. I met a bloke once from the Royal Armoured Corps who had been on some kind of Army survival/escape and evasion course with him. Apparently he was keen on secreting Mars bars about his person in such a manner as to avoid a cursory search. (almost topical as you're going to Chatham)
You've just remined m in my inebriated state I have a Snickers in my pocket :-)

kimble

Veteran
Just a quick note to say that was an utterly splendid ride, marred only by excessive quantities of less than splendid (and indeed, overly refrigerated) trains. I'm going to collapse in bed now.

ianrauk

Tattooed Beat Messiah
What a glorious night ride. No rain, temperatures never dipped below 'cold'. A most stunning sunrise and a fabulous brekkie at the Waterfront. What more could one want?

140 miles on the clock....I'm bushed

160814.jpg

martint235

Dog on a bike
What a glorious night ride. No rain, temperatures never dipped below 'cold'. A most stunning sunrise and a fabulous brekkie at the Waterfront. What more could one want?

140 miles on the clock....I'm bushed

View attachment 53474
So so jealous!!!

sagefly

Veteran
I've been on allopurinol for about 5 months now. I think I got it cos I overdosed on cheap sugary drinks last weekend. Fruit sugars are my trigger. I don't get open with Naproxen at all so I use Indometacin instead. It's worked as I'm able to move about today.
Cool stuff, 5 months is a good way in. Dehydration has effed you up plus the sugar load, will fark you up.

It hurts but keep taking the drugs, as is said, my fear is joint damage and proper arthritis.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
A great ride, we were dropped off by HPC and collected from Whitstable by my lovely wife, all for the price of a sausage & egg bap as it was Kai's first Fridays ride and twice the distance they'd ridden before.

Perfect weather aside from a bit chilly, I added the waterproof for a bit after Strood to warm up, I didn't realise Friday rides were allowed to be dry. The sunrise and sunny ride in was lovely great breakfast venue.

Kai suffered a bit with mechanical issues, slipping the chain at the Rotherhithe tunnel roundabout and on the hill out of Greenhithe, it ran OK until the big climb where it went twice in quick succession. It's a bit expected with a singlespeed conversion, despite the tensioner, and Kai was understandedly frustrated. The Tec's pounced on it then and after repositioning the tensioner it held for the rest of the ride. I've very much left Kai to do their own thing with their bike, but may grab it and look at upgrading the tensioner (this one has some flex in it and the jockey wheel could be a better fit for the chain) or otherwise sorting it.

The last 5 miles proved the toughest for Kai, I think they were physically spent by then and a fair amount of the pack went passed as we worked our way in to Whitstable, but we completed the ride and as always I'm a very proud father. Spent most of the day asleep, but checked on the way up and Kai has said they'll do another, although may pick one of the bikes with gears for it.

Thanks to everyone who had a part in things and especially Simon for all his cat herding and making it happen. I really enjoyed riding through my home turf, even passing the campus I'll be commuting in to on Monday, as well as the one I work at most days.

Last edited:

Trickedem

Guru
Well that was a lovely ride. Dry and a tail wind! Who could have asked for more. Thanks to Simon for organising and to everyone who helped on the ride by waymarking and Teccing. I am pleased to report that we made the fantastic sum of £380 at the midway point for Step and Learn, the charity that is based in the hall.

I took a few pictures
This is my favorite.
sunrise.jpg

Top Bottom