FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast - Whitstable, 15th August

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
It was mainly the Vulcan you could hear, although it was no doubt at a fairly low throttle setting.

After making 1 slow pass, the Vulcan pulled up and away, and then headed off to Clacton for a display, whilst the 2 Lancasters stayed and did a 10 minute display including going overhead me which was very evocative.

What's even more incredible about the 2 sets of aircraft is that there's only 11 years between the first flight of each, and yet the Vulcan is such a technological leap forward.

U

User10571

It was mainly the Vulcan you could hear, although it was no doubt at a fairly low throttle setting.

After making 1 slow pass, the Vulcan pulled up and away, and then headed off to Clacton for a display, whilst the 2 Lancasters stayed and did a 10 minute display including going overhead me which was very evocative.

What's even more incredible about the 2 sets of aircraft is that there's only 11 years between the first flight of each, and yet the Vulcan is such a technological leap forward.

I know.
It's quite astounding.
Akin to a move from one century, to the next - as it were....

mmmmartin

Random geezer
FWIW
I used to live under the flight path into RAF Manston when the V bombers used to practice night take off and landing. They would take off, circle then land on the runway before taking off immediately, circling again and landing again before taking off again....... ALL BLOODY NIGHT. There were petitions at the local post office and after a while they stopped. But I can confirm that a V bomber makes a huge amount of noise.
And I did a bit of my Mountain Leader training with an exRAF chap who told me in an exercise with the US the RAF managed to fly a V bomber over New York without the US radar picking it up. They proved it by showing a photo of the plane flying over New York. The photo was taken by another V bomber flying above it.
And obvs, we all recall waking up to be told a Vulcan had bombed the airport on the Falklands. Denying that runway to the Argie fast air probably won the war.
So they were pretty good bits of kit, used effectively, and when push came to shove they did the job. I doubt you'll see that sort of thing ever again: the bombs can be delivered by missiles or drones now.
So remember the noise it made, you'll not hear it again.

Nice snaps, Adam.
One noisy plane - what a sound!
220px-Vulcannervepinch.jpg

So remember the noise it made, you'll not hear it again.

Very true. I remember going to lots of airshows in the early 1980's when the RAF were still flying them, and they'd always lift off, with full afterburners on, and then going almost vertical with the flames darting out from the back. And you had this intensive roar just going through you and reverberating up through the ground.

Sadly, due to fuel costs and concern for an elderly plane, they are very gentle flying XH558, so the roar was mere echo of what it was like in the past, and then she'll be silent for ever when she's grounded at the end of the next year.

w00hoo_kent

One of the 64K
Very true. I remember going to lots of airshows in the early 1980's when the RAF were still flying them, and they'd always lift off, with full afterburners on, and then going almost vertical with the flames darting out from the back. And you had this intensive roar just going through you and reverberating up through the ground.
Yup, being close we did Biggin Hill Airshow a few times, I remember if coming over the heads of the crowd from behind with a deafening roar.

Top Bottom