FNRttC Friday Night Ride to the Coast York to Hull 9th September 2011

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

frank9755

Cyclist
Rule No 1 Shaun. For a 'Friday Night Ride to the Coast', nothing ever happens on a Friday - unless...
....we ride out!
icon_smile_evil.gif

....we ride out!
icon_smile_evil.gif

Oh. I was excluding making one's way to the start.

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
Ooh better do it to keep Shaun comapny :rolleyes:

Still owe him a breakfats from the last one :blush:

Like the new thread thing, had missed it in all the others before the move.

Now try & think of a 'cafe' that can hold masses is 'okay' and opens early ...:wacko:

Sailmakers pub might be a good choice if we could persuade them to open early?

http://www.pub-explo.../sailmakers.htm

On the banks of the Humber view of bridge and Hull ...

EDIT : Spotted the bit about Victoria Pier

Exisiting Businesses
The historic Fruit Market is looking forward to its new residents but is already home to a range of businesses offering everything from donuts to Dinosaurs!

Places to Eat & Drink
  • Cerutti's - fine dining overlooking Victoria Pier and the River Humber
  • Caffe Gelato - Cafe on Hull's historic Victoria Pier
  • Green Bricks - range of drinks, meals & ice creams
  • Ruscadors - drinks & good value, home cooked meals
  • Tasty - Fresh sandwiches snacks & Mr Moo's Ice Cream
  • The Minerva - hand pulled real ale & home cooked fayre

Arch

Married to Night Train
Oh, a quick query, perhaps worth asking here for the benefit of all the likely 'one-off-ers'... I'm sure it's all on the blog, but where would we be if everyone read instructions.... ;)

I see we need to join the club (I quite understand why). I'm CTC anyway, so insurance is sorted, I think?

With regard to the quid fee, so we have to arrange that in advance (and if how, how, for those of use not terribly conversant with PayPal and the like), or do we weigh Simon down with coins on the night?

OP
OP
dellzeqq

dellzeqq

pre-talced and mighty
Oh, a quick query, perhaps worth asking here for the benefit of all the likely 'one-off-ers'... I'm sure it's all on the blog, but where would we be if everyone read instructions.... ;)

I see we need to join the club (I quite understand why). I'm CTC anyway, so insurance is sorted, I think?
it is - although why you're paying £37 when you can get almost all the benefits for twelve is beyond me.......

With regard to the quid fee, so we have to arrange that in advance (and if how, how, for those of use not terribly conversant with PayPal and the like), or do we weigh Simon down with coins on the night?
on the night - at the end of the ride!

craigwend

Grimpeur des terrains plats
http://www.hull.co.uk/websitefiles/Fruit Market Flyer.pdf

Places to Eat Drink

Cerutti’s
Few restaurants offer views as picturesque as the ones diners can enjoy from Cerutti’s first restaurant which is based on Hull’s old pier, in the old town, overlooking the River Humber. www.ceruttis.co.uk

Caffe Gelato, Victoria Pier
Come and have fish & chips on Hull’s historic Victorian Pier, the last remaining pier in Yorkshire. Also available are: Ice Cream, Hot Dogs, Nachos, hot & cold drinks. Open Sat: 8am til late. Sun: 10am - 6pm.

Green BricksWide range of drinks, meals and ice-creams with alfresco seating overlooking Hull Marina

RuscadorsOffering a wide range of drinks and great value, home cooked meals

TastyFresh sandwiches, snacks and tasty Mr Moo’s Ice cream! (thats Shaun sold...)

The MinervaEnjoy hand pulled real ale and home cooked fayre in one of Hull’s most famous pubs

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Intriguing thought, Davy! It's just under 200 miles. A bit on the long side, but you should be into your stride by that point in the season, so not out of the question with an early start. Head through the chilterns and veer north...

Argument against is that I just don't think going north from London is as interesting as the ride to the west. London to Cardiff really is a feast of a ride with the Chilterns as appetiser, climbing the Chilterns, crossing the watershed and swooping down to the Severn Bridge as main course and flying along the fabulous A48 to finish off. It might be that I don't know it well enough, but going north is just a bit uneventful in comparison.

The advantage, of course, is that we would be far less likely to have a screaming headwind!

Take the Thursday afternoon off work and set off on Thursday lunchtime, cycle through the night. Have a B&B/Travelodge booked for the Friday, sleep from earlyish Friday til mid afternoon. Then have a pootle around York, a leisurely evening meal, back to the digs for a freshen up, pack and then head off for the night ride.

Advance planning could see luggage mailed to the 'digs', or a friendly local CCer, ready for arrival and then put back in the post on the Friday/Saturday before departure....much easier than lugging panniers etc and allows you to have a selection for the night ride depending on conditions at time.

frank9755

Cyclist
Take the Thursday afternoon off work and set off on Thursday lunchtime, cycle through the night. Have a B&B/Travelodge booked for the Friday, sleep from earlyish Friday til mid afternoon. Then have a pootle around York, a leisurely evening meal, back to the digs for a freshen up, pack and then head off for the night ride.

Advance planning could see luggage mailed to the 'digs', or a friendly local CCer, ready for arrival and then put back in the post on the Friday/Saturday before departure....much easier than lugging panniers etc and allows you to have a selection for the night ride depending on conditions at time.

Nah - too complicated!

6am start gives 18 hours to do the 200 miles. Plenty of time as it won't be particularly hilly for most of the way and not likely to be a headwind (although it would be today!). Then join the main group at midnight. No need to carry extra spare clothes, book accommodation or post stuff!

I'm seriously thinking about it...

MacB

Lover of things that come in 3's
Nah - too complicated!

6am start gives 18 hours to do the 200 miles. Plenty of time as it won't be particularly hilly for most of the way and not likely to be a headwind (although it would be today!). Then join the main group at midnight. No need to carry extra spare clothes, book accommodation or post stuff!

I'm seriously thinking about it...

Oh I know, and my post was just describing the way I'd do it if I wanted to ride up to do this ride. I'd be pushing my boundaries doing it that way, doing it your way I'd have no chance whatsoever. More importantly I'd have no chance of relaxing and enjoying the night ride itself, the company and the post ride fun. But you're made of sterner stuff and blokes like Teef and Davy are just rocks(or is that rocks in the head?).

frank9755

Cyclist
I expect you could do it if it was what you wanted to do - 3 summer months is plenty of time to work up to longer distances. However, while I think that a good proportion of FNRttC-ers could do 200-odd miles in a day, it obviously doesn't mean that they have to or even that they should want to!

Top Bottom