Fried eggs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

gbb

Legendary Member
I'm often disappointed with eggs purchased from a supermarket and have struggled to find some that don't spread that watery white all over the pan. A consistent good egg isn't really something you get at the average supermarket.
local farm eggs would be one source of quality eggs I guess but that's not really an option...any sources of consistently good eggs ,? I'm considering trying some from Waitrose or similar.

Mo1959

Legendary Member
No farms near by? We have a few that put fresh eggs at their gate with an honesty box. Usually proper running about hens too! :laugh:

glasgowcyclist

Charming but somewhat feckless
If you're stuck with a poorer quality egg, try frying it in a cookie cutter to hold it together. If you don’t have one you could use a small can of tuna, just cut the top and the bottom off and wash it.

Last edited:

swee'pea99

Legendary Member
I'm considering trying some from Waitrose or similar.
I would. Half dozen free range, quid a box. All the poncey ones are way more costly, which helps keep the turnover high. Usually fresh, usually large, at least in my experience.

Reactions: gbb

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Waitrose do the Duchy range so as Charles is such a great advocate of organics should be good.
I read the other day we should be eating white eggs as they come from less aggressive hens so don't need their beaks clipping. Anyone know if that's true?

HMS_Dave

Grand Old Lady
I once brought an Ostrich egg from the local farmers market. Very rich tasting and a very hearty meal on its own!

CanucksTraveller

Macho Business Donkey Wrestler
Try some Burford Browns, you can get them in Sainsbury's, Waitrose and Morrisons. The flavour is excellent and the yolks a deep orange colour. They're dearer, but they're worth the extra quid.
Duchy are okay too. All the other supermarket eggs are a bit meh, I've found.

As others have said, new ones stay proud in the pan. Older ones spread and are better for scrambling.