Fried eggs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Salty seadog

Space Cadet...(3rd Class...)
Where do you poach them from, if you don’t mind me asking?

Waitrose, natch....

Chromatic

Legendary Member
I believe that the colour of the shell is determined by the chickens diet. A free roaming chicken will consume dirt with their food as they eat randomly from the ground, whereas a factory chicken will have it's diet carefully controlled to ensure the desired colour of eggshell that the customer specifies.The shell is made of the dirt, gravel, rocks, boulders, etc' that the chickens consume.
Aren't there some chicken growers on here?

I remember the days when Wafflycat was the resident chicken grower.

Electric_Andy

Heavy Metal Fan
A few weeks ago there were no "normal" eggs left in the supermarket, so I had to get all that was left which was 6 (longbar or something) eggs for £2.60. I didn't notice much of a difference apart from a more orange yolk. My son said he didn't like them in pancakes, probably becasue they were too eggy.

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Here’s another way to keep the egg contained...

View attachment 516937
Had one of those this morning... but mine wasn't quite so cute.

Had my first fried eggs for god knows how long on my Full English yesterday. I usually poach but the eggs were too old. I wish i'd scrambled them instead. I'm going to be controversial now... but I feel that fried is the lowest form of egg.

Freshness is one thing and then the hens diet is another main contributor. Our hens are now firing on all cylinders so we're at full capacity although that's not much as they're all getting on a bit now. The difference between a free range home egg vs a typical supermarket egg is significant and probably one of the greatest differences you can find in the food world, supermarket eggs are a shadow of their free range cousin although a lot cheaper and easy to find.

Most of ours are consumed the day they are laid, often within a few hours. The yolks sit very proud in the frying pan and are hard to pop, the colour is almost orange and the white has a distinctive bloom to it.

I would certainly look out for someone selling eggs at the roadside, we used to sell about 1.5dzn a day when we were in the UK just with an honesty box (we had around 30 hens then)

MontyVeda

a short-tempered ill-controlled small-minded troll
Agreed. A nicely fried egg is a thing of epicurean beauty.
Not a patch on a nicely poached egg.
Freshness is one thing and then the hens diet is another main contributor. Our hens are now firing on all cylinders so we're at full capacity although that's not much as they're all getting on a bit now. The difference between a free range home egg vs a typical supermarket egg is significant and probably one of the greatest differences you can find in the food world, supermarket eggs are a shadow of their free range cousin although a lot cheaper and easy to find.

Most of ours are consumed the day they are laid, often within a few hours. The yolks sit very proud in the frying pan and are hard to pop, the colour is almost orange and the white has a distinctive bloom to it.

I would certainly look out for someone selling eggs at the roadside, we used to sell about 1.5dzn a day when we were in the UK just with an honesty box (we had around 30 hens then)
When you say 'supermarket' do you mean 'battery farmed'?

Smudge

Veteran
Friends of mine used to keep chickens. Apparently they were ex battery hens that were sold off because they weren't laying as many when they got older. I always went home with loads of eggs when i visited them. Great tasting eggs, but i did find them too rich at first, being used to mass produced supermarket eggs.
Also, I remember my mate saying he purged the hens for a while before eating the eggs, to get all the drugs and supplements out the system of the hens.