Fried eggs?

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

SpokeyDokey

67, & my GP says I will officially be old at 70!
I'm often disappointed with eggs purchased from a supermarket and have struggled to find some that don't spread that watery white all over the pan. A consistent good egg isn't really something you get at the average supermarket.
local farm eggs would be one source of quality eggs I guess but that's not really an option...any sources of consistently good eggs ,? I'm considering trying some from Waitrose or similar.

At the start of the main footpath to Farleton Knott (the hill adjacent to and East of J36 M6) there is a knackered old microwave oven set on some bricks that is home to some lovely farm eggs at £1.00 for half a dozen. Recommended. :smile:

When you say 'supermarket' do you mean 'battery farmed'?

Just from a supermarket really as most of the eggs there are depicted as being "free range" and still pale into insignificance

wafter

I like steel bikes and I cannot lie..
I've started buying mine from a local (ish) farm; £5/30 and generally a lot more fresh / nicer quality than stuff you'll get from the supermarket.

Waitrose stuff isn't bad but you're talking about 2.5 times the price for their better offerings and tbh I think the farm eggs are nicer. Only issue is convenience as it's a 15 mile round trip, stock's not always guranteed and you need change for the honesty box..

I was actually planning on a sedate egg run today but last time I got there around lunchtime they'd only got the 2nds left, which are cheaper but often have thinner shells which crack when boiling. Obviously less of an issue if you're using other methods. Looks like it's tomorrow morning's job now!

OP
OP
gbb

gbb

Legendary Member
Thinking about this tonight as I did tea for my wife and myself....thick cut smoked bacon, black pudding, baked beans, fried tomato, fried bread....and fried Waitrose eggs. While farm eggs might be better, even paying a bit extra at waitrose really does pay. Asda eggs are a thing of the past now, theres just no comparison.

Lovely rich flavoured tea tonight and not particually unhealthy. Bacon, black pudding and tomatoes done in an air fryer, no added oil, eggs and bread done in the minimum of oil.

Best fryup I've had in a while.

pawl

Legendary Member
Thinking about this tonight as I did tea for my wife and myself....thick cut smoked bacon, black pudding, baked beans, fried tomato, fried bread....and fried Waitrose eggs. While farm eggs might be better, even paying a bit extra at waitrose really does pay. Asda eggs are a thing of the past now, theres just no comparison.

Lovely rich flavoured tea tonight and not particually unhealthy. Bacon, black pudding and tomatoes done in an air fryer, no added oil, eggs and bread done in the minimum of oil.

Best fryup I've had in a while.

please please.Open a cyclist cafe at the bottom of my road.Black Pudding I am sitting salivating

Reactions: gbb

slowmotion

Quite dreadful
Waitrose eggs are pretty pricy but can be quite good. The secret is to rummage to the very back of the egg shelf to find the eggs that are freshest. They put the older ones at the front, for obvious reasons.

Reactions: gbb

Lovacott

Über Member
I get mine from a local farm. They have a cupboard outside in which they keep farm produce and you pay on an honour system. The farmers wife makes really nice flapjacks as well so I pick up a couple of those when I get my eggs.

They poach really well with no wispy bits (super fresh). I am a recent convert to poached eggs having been put off them as a kid when my mum did one for me and I gagged on the partially cooked white. Done properly though they are one of life real luxuries.

If I'm frying an egg, I use week old eggs as the white sits flatter in the pan.

Colin Grigson

Bass guitarist - Bad News
Fried egg sandwiches or ‘egg banjos’ as they’re called, with a little ketchup and mustard .... OMG - my absolute favourite thing in the world - I would swap my children for one :okay:

Globalti

Legendary Member
I'm getting my eggs fresh from a neighbour at £3.50 a dozen. They are super, fresh as ever with lovely yellow yolks. Generally I flash-fry some ham or bacon in butter then break in a couple of eggs with a little milk, stir a little then serve the whole mish-mash on buttered brown toast.

Cycleops

Legendary Member
Was she the person who had battery rescue chickens?

Are you sure she was trying to rescue them?