From a mountain bike to an adventure bike

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Tango

I’m just in the process of selling my mountain bike as I don’t use it any more, even though I keep kidding myself that I will.

I spend all of my time road riding but often fancied a bit of off road cycle way, canal tow path, forest trail, bridle path, etc although 80% of the riding will be on roads

I’m looking to get a kinesis tripster ATR V2, but wondered about wheels sizes as it takes 700C and 650B, but thinking 700C with a 40mm tyre

Then it’s handlebars, drops, flats or something like Jones H bar

What group set do you recommend, 105 compact or a 1x11 MTB set up

Any thoughts and advice would be appreciated

Many thanks

Nibor

Bewildered
Hi Tango I am horribly jealous and wish I hadn't sent you the spreadsheet now.

A fellow LCL

Venod

Eh up
I like to get of road a bit too I now ride my CX in places that I would have only considered on a MTB at one time, I have 1xll on the MTB but as the CX gets a lot of road use I have stuck to a double 46/36 with a 11/32 at the rear gives a bit more at the top end, I suppose I could go 34 or 36 rear but I find it OK at the moment, compact drop bars for me, 32 cx tyres at the moment but have some 36 to put on (700c)

Vantage

Carbon fibre... LMAO!!!
I run 38c slick tyres which are perfectly adequate for offroading. As long as you're not mudplugging through swamps, you'll have more than enough grip.
Drop bars give me enough control over reasonable rough ground but I'd say that wider straight bars would give more control. I'm used to drops though and didn't particularly like straights last time I experimented with them.
I'm one of those stuck in the dark ages types that despise anything over 9 speed triples and think 10 speed strains rear wheels too much and single chainsets belong on BMX's.

OP
OP
Tango

Tango

I like to get of road a bit too I now ride my CX in places that I would have only considered on a MTB at one time, I have 1xll on the MTB but as the CX gets a lot of road use I have stuck to a double 46/36 with a 11/32 at the rear gives a bit more at the top end, I suppose I could go 34 or 36 rear but I find it OK at the moment, compact drop bars for me, 32 cx tyres at the moment but have some 36 to put on (700c)
I’m leaning towards compact rather than 1x11 because of the road use. There may be days that it could be used for a 100 mile day on the road

OP
OP
Tango

Tango

I run 38c slick tyres which are perfectly adequate for offroading. As long as you're not mudplugging through swamps, you'll have more than enough grip.
Drop bars give me enough control over reasonable rough ground but I'd say that wider straight bars would give more control. I'm used to drops though and didn't particularly like straights last time I experimented with them.
I'm one of those stuck in the dark ages types that despise anything over 9 speed triples and think 10 speed strains rear wheels too much and single chainsets belong on BMX's.
I’ve seen the Jones H bar and as odd as it looks it seems to make sense. I only ever go on the drops to give better leverage to the brakes down a steep hill

OP
OP
Tango

Tango

You could go mtb at back and road up front. Really up to you and what kind of gradients you are expecting to do and how loaded up?
Not entirely sure yet, but expect todo a bit of touring eventually
I was looking at the Yukon rohloff belt drive last year, but want a bit more rough stuff capability

Seleucid

Regular
I am kind of going the other direction, as a road rider who has been casting glances at gravel paths and scrubland for a while. Cannondale cadx with grippy schwalbe 35mm tyres inspires confidence, so much so that I am delaying repplacerep of my 20 year old MTB. Drop bars fine too.

Top Bottom