From Road CC - Mavic's superlight X-Tend

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

ColinJ

Puzzle game procrastinator!
It does look interesting.

I think that the exposed cooling fins will get clogged up with crap thrown up by the front wheel, except when a good front mudguard is fitted.

I really do not like the terms acoustic and acoustically when referring to normal (non-electric) bikes!

Afraid I don't like it, the reliance on a none visible display and integrated battery put me off. This is probably not aimed at me so my opinion doesn't make it bad, just I'd prefer a HUD on the handlebars and removeable battery.

CXRAndy

Guru
It just shows the nominal power figure is rather pointless. Peak of 390W.

Bosch and many others have 500W and more peak output.

My ebike has a nominal power of 250W the way I ride it, but far more if I want to get a shift on.

It just shows the nominal power figure is rather pointless. Peak of 390W.

Bosch and many others have 500W and more peak output.

My ebike has a nominal power of 250W the way I ride it, but far more if I want to get a shift on.

Bosch have been shown to have over 800W of sustained power while climbing despite their 250W rating for their high torque e-mountain bike models which is how they achieve a torque figure of close to 100Nm. How this is legal is another matter but they do push their luck on occasion like the dieselgate fiasco or their spy at Dyson.

I would say Mavic are spot on with 250W nominal and 390W peak which is exactly as the ebike legislation expects. You see that for many controllers of hub motors. Nominal current of the controller around 7A and peak around 11A (7Ax36V is 252W and 11A at 36V is 396W. Mavic are clearly going for full legality under EU legislation which I think is to their credit.

the snail

Guru
Bosch have been shown to have over 800W of sustained power while climbing despite their 250W rating for their high torque e-mountain bike models which is how they achieve a torque figure of close to 100Nm. How this is legal is another matter but they do push their luck on occasion like the dieselgate fiasco or their spy at Dyson.

I would say Mavic are spot on with 250W nominal and 390W peak which is exactly as the ebike legislation expects. You see that for many controllers of hub motors. Nominal current of the controller around 7A and peak around 11A (7Ax36V is 252W and 11A at 36V is 396W. Mavic are clearly going for full legality under EU legislation which I think is to their credit.

I don't think it's anything to do with legality, it's about making a unit that's small and light, so roadies can pretend they're not on an e-bike. That means limited range/assistance, like all of these types of systems.

I don't think it's anything to do with legality, it's about making a unit that's small and light, so roadies can pretend they're not on an e-bike. That means limited range/assistance, like all of these types of systems.

It's widely regarded that the EU ebike laws are not realistic or fair in how they rate motor wattage and it seems like they have made an exception for European manufacturers allowing them to go well beyond the 250W rating or simply the manufacturers are pushing the wattage beyond the certification and they are turning a blind eye. How on earth would they sell such motors if they were restricted to 250W sustained and perhaps 390W momentary peak because then you would be down to the same sort of torque of hub motors but would have all the extra complication of internal gears, accelerated drivetrain wear etc and paying thousands of pounds extra for no advantages but all disadvantages. Remember the torque sensor is not exclusive to mid-drive its available to any motor type.

https://www.ebikeschool.com/myth-ebike-wattage/

A 250W motor does not go up a long hill with close to 100Nm pulling around 800W.

However I'm in no way against 800W being pulled I just think it needs to be a level playing field where any motor type can draw the same current and be classed legal and the EU shouldn't be pushing only pedal assist ebikes with just torque and cadence sensors. Throttles should be allowed like most of the world. There is a safety problem with cadence sensors they can have a delay to operating and some systems provide full power as soon as you start pedaling which is very dangerous. It just seems like corrupt and incompetent legislation. However from what I understand its mainly ignored anyway in most EU countries with a huge number of ebikes sold with twist and go throttles and ebikes that go well beyond 250W. The EU legislation isn't just ignored in the UK its ignored in the majority of EU countries with regard ebikes.

OP
OP
youngoldbloke

youngoldbloke

The older I get, the faster I used to be ...
Bike and ebike is enough differentiation isn't it

Not really because ebikers will insist that ebikes are bikes too.

I'm not keen on the "non-e" and "non-assisted" suggested above, as I'd rather not define things by what they're not.

How would you describe and differentiate between the two forms of bike which are being discussed?

Top Bottom