Front Brake brake arm not aligned correctly

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
For some time now I wondered why one of the front brake blocks always was worn more so at the front of the block than along the whole lenght.
It was only noticed just now when checking the wheel for wobble. But it must have been like it all the time can't see how the whole left hand brake arm would get twisted ? As the fixing apart

from putting an angled spacer washer in place of the existing one can't really see another way round it though perhaps being able to bend the whole left side brake arm? any thoughts any one thanks I've just dropped a couple of pics iin to illustrate

midlife

Guru
I bend my callipers with a big piece of flat bar through the brake pad slot... Toe-in, so the front catches slightly first to stop judder.

Mind you mine are 70's brakes lol.

Do not attempt to bend those brakes. They are forged and super strong. You'll mess the bearing before bending the lever.

You simply have to adjust the brake shoe. It has a conical washer and conical back, so that you can tilt it a few degrees either way.
It also appears that the block isn't seated in the shoe all that well. Fixing that should give you about 0.5mm.

boydj

Legendary Member
With one hand, apply the brake lightly. With the other hand, using a 4mm (or 5mm) Allen key, loosen the brake block slightly and wiggle it into the correct position. At this point, if you had a third hand, you could insert a piece of thin cardboard between the back of the brake and the wheel, but I don't usually bother with this. When you're happy with the brake block position, tighten your grip on the brake lever and tighten up the brake block. Do this both sides and the brakes should be properly aligned.

carlosfandangus

Über Member
I have used a small clamp as a "third hand" also very useful when fitting new cables as you can pull the cable tight with one hand as you tighten the cable clamp, you just need to make sure that you have the cable adjusters set out a little to give you room for additional "fettling"

Great I've Fixed that little problem thank to all your help yes thats all of you, So now I find that have little wobble in the wheel after adjusting the brakes right up but having just got a 3.6 pro spoke key.; so as Iv'e not got a wheel truing stand will adjust to to brake blocks as they are new. Well its the best I can do at the moment. and to think all this nonsense started just fitting some new mudguards! I won't need em soon as perhaps the roads will dry off (thats said tongue in cheek around here in Somerset) as if thats going to happen anytime soon.

Top Bottom