Front carrier fitting

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

oldwheels

Legendary Member
I have a front carrier which came with a used bike I bought. This is drilled to fit on a solid axle. I wish to fit it to another bike which has a QR with a hollow axle which does not protrude beyond the forks. With some spacers I could fit it to the bottom mudguard stay mounts which are brazed on but this seems a bit flimsy as the bolts are quite small. It would be more convenient to fit it on the axle but it would really just be supported by friction. Is this feasible? The total weight including the carrier would not exceed 3 kg. I am not prepared to change the axle for a solid one which is the obvious answer; too much faff for what is probably a one off tour. Anybody done this?

Ajax Bay

Guru
Don't faff around. Fit it to the bottom mudguard stay mounts which are brazed on - the bolts are quite small but entirely strong enough to support 1.5kg each. Maybe same size bolts as support the rear rack.

OP
OP
oldwheels

oldwheels

Legendary Member
You are right Ajax back rack has bolts for mudguards I will try that with short spacers to clear the forks. Cannot change wheels as there is a considerable size difference.

Top Bottom