Front dérailleur adjustments

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.
Help please.
I had difficulty in shifting in to the bigger rings. It reluctantly went in to the second but would not move to the biggest ring. I played with H and L limit screws but it wont solve the problem. My understanding is that the problem is the cable tension. So I loosen the cable, pulled it a bit and tightened it.

Now it easily goes in to the biggest ring but it by pass the middle ring both way up and down. So when in the biggest ring it will shift back to the smallest cog but won't stay in the middle.

I tried to play with limit screws but had no luck.

Now which screw should I play with now?

Crandoggler

View: https://m.youtube.com/watch?v=tfBiXgf8JxI

I hate messing with front derailleur's. But good luck!

mjr

Comfy armchair to one person & a plank to the next
There should be an adjuster in the cable run somewhere for fine tuning tension, usually by the shifter or the down tube stops. It shouldn't miss middle in BOTH directions though :sad:

Plumster

Start by shifting to smallest chainring and taking up all slack in the cable, if it skips the middle ring changing up, you probably have a cable issue

OP
OP
midliferider
Thanks everyone.
I think it is a cable problem. I manage to sort it, just about right but not very smooth operation.
I plan to change the cable and hopefully all will be well once I install a new cable.

Top Bottom