Front Derailleur Chain Rub

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

VeganWheels

Good Morning,Could someone advise me please,if possible
Fairly new to cycling & have a new bike,ridden this weekend for the first time.
Approx 10 miles in to my ride the chain started to rub on the front D when on largest front cog & smallest rear,by the time I had completed 30 miles it was rubbing when on the bottom three cogs of the rear cassette & also rubbing when on the smallest front cog & with largest two on the rear cassette.
I assume this something to do with the upper & lower limit's.
Should I have expected this to happen,should I take the bike back to get it adjusted or tinker myself,should I expect this to be a regular occurance ,as it was happening on my previous bike also.
Don't want to become a pain in my local bike shop.
Any guidance would be very much appreciated & thank you in advance.

raleighnut

Legendary Member
Good Morning,Could someone advise me please,if possible
Fairly new to cycling & have a new bike,ridden this weekend for the first time.
Approx 10 miles in to my ride the chain started to rub on the front D when on largest front cog & smallest rear,by the time I had completed 30 miles it was rubbing when on the bottom three cogs of the rear cassette & also rubbing when on the smallest front cog & with largest two on the rear cassette.
I assume this something to do with the upper & lower limit's.
Should I have expected this to happen,should I take the bike back to get it adjusted or tinker myself,should I expect this to be a regular occurance ,as it was happening on my previous bike also.
Don't want to become a pain in my local bike shop.
Any guidance would be very much appreciated & thank you in advance.
Nothing to do with the limit stops, it is the cable 'settling down' so the tension needs to be increased slightly to compensate.

Dependant on exact group set, and how it’s been cabled, you may or may not have a little rotatable barrel in the cable for the front derailleur. You’ll probably need to adjust the position from time to time, to keep the front derailleur clear of the chain. One of the best things about electronic shift set ups, is the way it automatically adjusts the position of the front mech, as you shift on the rear, to keep the front mech clear of the chain. However, mechanical shift groupsets will need manual adjustment ‘on the fly’ though.

Ajax Bay

Guru
You’ll probably need to adjust the position from time to time, to keep the front derailleur clear of the chain. One of the best things about electronic shift set ups, is the way it automatically adjusts the position of the front mech, as you shift on the rear, to keep the front mech clear of the chain. However, mechanical shift groupsets will need manual adjustment ‘on the fly’ though.
To disagree, once you have the FD correctly adjusted, you will probably NOT need to adjust the cable tension "from time to time". @rr has just indulged in an N+1 with electronic shifting so perhaps is intoxicated with its merits, losing focus on the OP's issue. And "mechanical shift groupsets [set up correctly] will NOT need manual adjustment ‘on the fly’."

OP
OP
VeganWheels

VeganWheels

Further advice please Peeps.
So I thought it was sorted last week,5 miles into the my first ride since taking it back to my LBS & same issue on the front again,by the time I had completed my 35 miles,also some rear cassette indexing issues & one complete non shift from the large to small front cog that bought me to a complete stop at on an incline. Begining to wonder if I have bought a Friday afternoon bike,completely feed up with it,as it's now stopping doing what I want to do which is ride,in particular at weekends.

Ajax Bay

Guru
Your bike will be fine. Your LBS will be disappointed that they thought they'd got it right and redouble their effort to index both front and rear correctly when you return to them for help. Maybe worth allowing time to go for a short test ride, from the LBS, after they have fixed it, to establish for yourself. I would expect them to take it 'round the block' themselves, after their first effort didn't seem to 'get it right'.
You'll no doubt wish to learn how to do this yourself, in due course, but the priority right now is to ride your bike, and enjoy it, with the drivetrain working perfectly.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VeganWheels

VeganWheels

Your bike will be fine. Your LBS will be disappointed that they thought they'd got it right and redouble their effort to index both front and rear correctly when you return to them for help. Maybe worth allowing time to go for a short test ride, from the LBS, after they have fixed it, to establish for yourself. I would expect them to take it 'round the block' themselves, after their first effort didn't seem to 'get it right'.
You'll no doubt wish to learn how to do this yourself, in due course, but the priority right now is to ride your bike, and enjoy it, with the drivetrain working perfectly.
Thank you for the link.

OP
OP
VeganWheels

VeganWheels

Driving me nuts!!
Completely convinced it's a Friday afternoon Giant special.
So, after taking it back for 4th time at the beginning of June,the LBS claimed that it was my shoes/pedals/cleats (which I bought from them )making the loud clicking noise.
I have since replaced the cleats & pedals,one month on,still no further forward.
I have also ridden two bikes from the same dealer purchased post mine,neither have the issue & both owners have ridden my bike & the noise issue replicates & the jumpy gear change is also the same for them on my bike.
At the point where I am going to ask for the Bike to be replaced or a full refund,which is frustrating because they are really nice people to deal with & I am the type of person that hates complaining.

Ajax Bay

Guru
At the point where I am going to ask for the Bike to be replaced or a full refund,which is frustrating because they are really nice people to deal with & I am the type of person that hates complaining.
By all means ask (for replacement/refund), but also credit your LBS with some competence.
I suggested (a month ago) "Maybe worth allowing time to go for a short test ride, from the LBS, after they have fixed it, to establish for yourself."
Did you do this?

OP
OP
VeganWheels

VeganWheels

They have had the Bike back four times & also test ridden it.
Their last diagnosis of the issue was that the cleats were responsible for loud audible noise,which they are not.
I've spoken with them again this morning,they have been very obliging again & I've told that I would like the zero confidence & that I would like the Bike replaced & they agreed to speak with Giant between now & Saturday,which is the soonest that can I return the bike to them.
They also acknowledged that,from time to time,they have experienced a 'Friday Afternoon' bike where is doesn't matter what they do,they can't quite get it set up correctly.
Can't ask for more than that,to be honest & dread to think where I would be, if had purchased online.

Last edited:
OP
OP
VeganWheels

VeganWheels

By all means ask (for replacement/refund), but also credit your LBS with some competence.
I suggested (a month ago) "Maybe worth allowing time to go for a short test ride, from the LBS, after they have fixed it, to establish for yourself."
Did you do this?
because of their reduced opening hours in lock down & my business being very busy through lock down,it has meant that I have not been able to do short test rides with them ,they have been out on it numerous times & I certainly don't doubt their competence or desire to get it right,they have an excellent reputation & have been nothing but very helpful.

Nigelnightmare

Über Member
Get the other bikes owners to tell the LBS that they are having the same problems on your bike when they ride it.
It might help both the LBS and Giant to understand that it's not just in your head if other people have the same experience on the bike.
Then the LBS is more likely to fight just that little bit harder to get it fixed/replaced & Giant will be more likely to listen/act rather than dismiss it out of hand.
Good luck.

Top Bottom