Front derailleur jammed...

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

adscrim

Veteran
I'm now in the habit of shifting into the little ring and back to the big as I approach home - my commute doesn't require the little ring at all and I've lost a couple of front mechs to the salt and muck as, especially when the weather is bad at the weekends, it could be weeks before I move out of the big ring.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Anything stuck where the limit screws hit the limiting cam? I had that once, pulled the chance piece of tarred gravel out and it worked fine. Your results may vary. Otherwise, penetrating oil may be needed.
nope,it was fine when it was parked up about november.stuck in a tub full of wd 40 atm.

cyberknight

As long as I breathe, I attack.
Which make FD ?
My old Sora FD was very prone (every winter) to siezing up. I commuted daily, all weathers and the pivot used to get dry. On the old style Sora , you undid (not removed, just loosened) the rear facing pivot bolt, sprayed it liberally with WD, work the bolt and mech a bit and it would free up every time.
Microshift, off the boadman .Luckily that make has a screw at the back so you can take it off the bike without a chain splitter.

pclay

Veteran
i have had a couple of FDs seize recently, a 105 and a Tiagra. I let them sit in a tub of olive oil for a few days, work fine afterwards.

shadow master

I can move into the big ring with the shifter and a lot of pressure, but it won't shift down. The cable is freely moving and just releases to slack, I can tap the dérailleur with my foot whilst moving to knock it down a gear.

Whilst in the stand, I try and manipulate it with my hands and its really hard to push the mech down a gear (yes whilst the chainring is turning).

Tried to get some oil down there but no luck - what should I try now?

It's a Deore triple MTB mech...
The nine speed mech do seem to seize much more than any other,I find heating them seems to free them up

si_c

Guru
The nine speed mech do seem to seize much more than any other,I find heating them seems to free them up

I think that probably classifies as torture...

Top Bottom