Front derailleur

Page may contain affiliate links. Please see terms for details.

Squid lips

Hi I'm having a problem with the chain rubbing on the front mech have tried adjusting both ways and it only seems to catch now again ,only a minor irritant but annoying any suggestions to cure it ,btw its a Claris mech
Thanks in advance

doughnut

Veteran
I had a problem like this last week - first problem since I bought the bike a few months ago. There are plenty of YouTube videos which make adjusting it seem quite straightforward. I could stop the chain rubbing on one cog, but not on the other and vice versa and spent a long time trying to fix it. Eventually gave up and took the bike back to Decathlon to get their guy to sort it - we found a bit of grit in the hinge which was restricting the full range of side-to-side movement on the front mech. Once that was cleaned out properly, it was fairly easy to adjust it so there was no rubbing on the bottom or top cog.

shadow master

Don't forget nearly all shimano road shifters have a neutral position on the front shifter to allow you to fine tune the gears,simply up shift very slowly if you feel a very small click almost straight away you have a neutral, you may also see the visual indicator has only moved about quarter of a click.

It also works the other way too, first click will shift the FD part way to the left a second will drop it down, works on all three rings on a triple, well the later shifters do. Its called a trim function.

Top Bottom